2017 Model Update: Liquid-Cooled Boxer Line
Friday, July 01, 2016
Posted by: Wes Fleming
The 2017 model year will see a number of facelifts. The models can be ordered from all BMW Motorrad dealers in the new configuration starting in August 2016.
When the new model year starts in August 2016, the engines of the liquid-cooled
boxer models will be subject to supplementary technical changes as well as the application of EU4 measures and the addition of side lights as required by law.
Like the R 1200 GS Adventure, all liquid-cooled boxer models will now be fitted with a judder damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing. An OBD indicator lamp (malfunction indicator light, or MIL) in the cockpit has been added to meet EU4 requirements.
BMW R 1200 GS
In addition to the technical changes set out above, the instrument panel of the R 1200 GS has now been redesigned. The range of optional accessories includes a new crash bar that allows cylinder protection covers (also available as optional accessories) to be mounted.
BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
In addition to the technical changes described above, the instrument panel of the R 1200 GS Adventure features a revised design. As of model year 2017, the color Ocean Blue metallic matt is no longer available.
BMW R 1200 R, RS and RT
In addition to the technical changes set out above, the R 1200 R, RS and RT will not only be supplied in new paint finishes as of model year 2017, but will have technical enhancements as well. With a view to enhanced motorcycling safety, its range of optional equipment features is extended to include the banking-optimized ABS Pro and the dynamic brake light (both in conjunction with the Riding Modes Pro option).
- R new color: Racing Red
- R package change: "Style 1" is now called "R 1200 R Sport" and has the color combination Light White/Cordoba Blue (new frame color)
- R discontinued colors: Cordoba Blue, Light White
- RS package change: "Style 2" is now called "R 1200 RS Sport" and has the color combination Light White metallic/Magellan Grey metallic matte
- RS discontinued color: Gratine Grey metallic matte
- RT new colors: Carbon Black metallic, Alpine White
- RT existing colors: Platinum Bronze metallic
- RT discontinued colors: Ebony metallic, San Marino Blue metallic