BMW Motorrad USA posts record sales for 2015
Sunday, January 10, 2016
Posted by: Wes Fleming
BMW Motorrad USA has set a new all-time year-end sales record with 16,330 units sold in 2015. BMW motorcycle sales grew 9.3 percent above the total of 14,945 units sold in 2014.
The S 1000 RR supersports bike, featured in the film Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation, was BMW’s best-selling model (accounting for 13.3 percent of total 2015 volume). Other best-selling models included the ever-popular R 1200 GS Adventure (12.2 percent of total volume) and the R 1200 GS (11.5 percent of total volume).
The S 1000 R power roadster and BMW’s first adventure sports bike – the new S 1000 XR Adventure – also bolstered annual sales in the BMW Motorrad S-Series model range.
The classic, customizable R nineT was one of the top performing models in December, with 138 units delivered, and in combination with the new R 1200 RS sport tourer, helped grow flat-twin engine R-Series model sales by 21 percent to 575 units compared to 477 in December 2014. BMW’s F-Series middleweight sales grew by 11 percent in the month with sales of 235 units compared to 211 in December 2014.
“New and loyal customers; a broad, continuously enhanced model lineup; a high-performing dealer network; and accolades from the motorcycle press contributed to record growth for BMW Motorcycles in the United States, BMW Motorrad’s strongest export market,” said Kris Odwarka, Vice President of BMW Motorrad USA.
BMW earned four “Best of 2015” awards from Motorcycle.com, and it was the only manufacturer to garner three coveted categories in Motorcyclist Magazine’s 2015 Motorcycle of the Year (MOTY) Awards. (See 2015 Awards below)
According to Odwarka, BMW’s robust product offensive will continue in 2016 with introduction of the R nineT Scrambler, the BMW G 310 R – the first BMW roadster under 500 cc since the R 45 – and the new C 650 Sport and C 650 GT maxi scooters in the urban mobility segment.
Motorcycle.com “Best of” Awards
- BMW R 1200 RT, Best Sport-Touring Motorcycle (2nd year in a row and 2015 Reader’s Choice Sport-Touring Winner)
- BMW S 1000 RR, Best Sportbike
- BMW K 1600 GT/GTL, Best Touring Motorcycle (3rd year in a row)
- BMW R 1200 R, Best Standard Motorcycle (Honorable Mention)
Motorcyclist “Best of” Awards
- BMW S 1000 RR, Best Sportbike (last year Honorable Mention)
- BMW R 1200 GS Adventure, Best Adventure Bike (2nd year in a row)
- BMW R 1200 RT, Best Touring Bike (2nd year in a row)
UltimateMotorCycling Top 10 Motorcycles of 2015 | Editor’s Choice
- BMW R 1200 R, #8 Among Top 10 Motorcycles for 2015
Rider 2015 People’s Choice Motorcycle of the Year Award
- BMW R 1200 R, One of 10 Contenders for 2015
Bloomberg Business Best New Motorcycles for Spring
- BMW R NineT, One of 13 Best New Motorcycles for Spring 2015