Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who's starting off in or passing through Connecticut?

r100s

from west CT

Are all of you nuts? I hate the super slab probably more than all off you put together.
    And have traveled all these roads that are mentioned. Rt7, Rt8, 22, 8a etc.
    I did a preliminary run on Sat. from Bridgeport to Dalton MA. 115 miles / 2hrs.20min. And was moving at a good clip ignoring the posted speed limit.
    Rt8 is good until Otis MA. but than becomes to residential, 35 mph tops with traffic. Which will be heavy during the week.
    Rt7 After Kent CT is OK, but once youÔÇÖre close to Great Barrington MA. Becomes very congested.
    Do not forget that the locals that live in these areas have no interstate to use. And in the middle of the day all the rural routes in CT, and Ma. Will be like Main St USA.
    I have decided, and recommend that you grin and bare the interstate until youÔÇÖre in VT. Than take some rural route that we nutmeggers do not get a chance to ride on.
    WARRNING TO ALL: taking back roads the whole way will make for a very long day. And after 8 hours in the saddle, your judgment will be impaired.

r100s

west CT

And by the way. The later you get there, the less you will have to pick from if camping. (like real rally goer's do).

lcarlson

No thanks to the slab

If you check my April 24 post, you'll see a route I recommend. Sure, you hit a little congestion around Great Barrington and Bennington, but hey, these are not major population centers, and the rest is nice and bucolic.

For me, early arrival is not an issue -- I'm not camping, and want to enjoy the ride.

ride to VT

I'm leaving the 14th!!! NA Na....
    John Shuck BMWMOA Ironbutt #31
    Co-Founder Dir. of Operations Fairfield County Concours
    Sept at the Fairfield County Hunt Club, Westport, CT
    02 GS, R90S's, R51/3

GPS Map

OK, here is a map of the "Plan" as I understand it:

According to Garmin Mapsource, it will take the Cliff's contingency 1:40 to get to Great Barrington. Original plan was to meet in Great Barrington at 11:00 am. Cliffs group starts out at 9:00 am, so this should still work.

For those meeting in Winsted at Canton Cycle, it is a 0:48 ride to Great Barrington. So this group should be able to leave Winsted at 10:00 am as planned.

If we follow lcarlson's suggested route from there, it will take 5:20 to get to fairgrounds (not to bad considereing it is a 4+ hour ride by high-speed slab). So with minimal stops, we could be in Essex by 6:00 to 6:30 pm.

I am all for lcarlson's suggested route, as this is as much about the journey as the destination.

For those who want; I've created some GPS files in Garmin Mapsource of this ride. I have created 3 different formats, so pick your poison appropriately.

For those coming from other directions, we should be at the intersection of RT 11 and RT 100 at 1:26pm.

At RT 103 and RT 100 (Ludlow) at 1:47pm.

RT 4 and RT 100 in West Bridgewater (near Sherburne) at 2:09 pm.

All times are rough estimates of course so wait if you wish, or not....

Here is a zipped file for GPS: CT_to_MOA.zip

lcarlson

Are any of you guys still on for this?

I am still planning to leave from Redding CT about 9:00 am Thursday. I'll swing by Marcus Dairy in Danbury around then in case anybody is interested. Should be at the intersection of Route 7 (Main Street) and Route 41 in Great Barrington about 11:00 (it's at the north end of town just west of the bridge over the river). If anybody's there, great; if not, I'll head up Route 41 solo. I'm on a black R1150R BTW.

callmethebreeze

Talking Ride North

Quote Originally Posted by lcarlson
    I am still planning to leave from Redding CT about 9:00 am Thursday. I'll swing by Marcus Dairy in Danbury around then in case anybody is interested. Should be at the intersection of Route 7 (Main Street) and Route 41 in Great Barrington about 11:00 (it's at the north end of town just west of the bridge over the river). If anybody's there, great; if not, I'll head up Route 41 solo. I'm on a black R1150R BTW.
    I've had a change of plans due to volunteer commitment so I'll be headed up on Wed.AM. I'll slab it to Bratlleboro then shoot over to 100N from there.

Breeze

Slight change of plans

I'll be leaving the Danbury area by 8am on Friday 21 July. My original plan was to leave Thursday but...

Send me a pm if the lift off time on Friday works for you. I'm agnostic as to route but i prefer not to dawdle...!
    2004 R1100S
    2008 Buell 1125R, 2009 Buell XB9SX
    2006 Honda CRF 250x
    2000 Honda XR 70, XR100

Unregistered

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by n1hnr941
    I am game. I live 10 minutes from Canton Cyles. For clarification Canton Cycles moved to Winsted and is still called Canton Cycles for those not familiar with the shop and is right at the end of the multilane Route 8. Go to the end of Route 8 and look to the right and thar she be...! Route 8 continues to the right and then a right again at the NCCTC college 1/4 mile up from Canton Cycles. Also make note on the rally forum about reflective stuff on your helmet in Vermont.
    Guy's this sounds good, if you don't mind I'd like to tag along on my K1100.

Commuter

Thumbs up Meeting at Winsted

I'm leaving home around 8 or so, should be at Canton Cycles by 9:30 or so, then on to the North!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodie
    I'm leaving home around 8 or so, should be at Canton Cycles by 9:30 or so, then on to the North!
    Woodie - glad to hear you've got a plan! You have PM from me. Sorry it didn't work out.
    Steve O. - MOA #122171
    '05 R12GS, '76 CB200 (wife's)
    '91 K100RS, '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane, '84 Yamaha FJ1100, '85 Honda VF500F, '76 Yamaha RD400, '82 Honda XL500... and more

Commuter

Some of us made it!

Met with one other guy (K1100)..had a nice ride. Missed the folks in Great Barrington, (directionally challenged finding the school, arrived there about 11:10 or so). Fair amount of construction/traffic along Route 7. Did well by cutting over to 116.

Hope to ride w/ folks tomorrow into Canada.

Unregistered

Did it solo

I ended up making the trip by myself -- used the Taconic Parkway to eat up some miles early on, but it still took me almost 8 hours. A great ride, though. I'm staying at the Green Mountain Inn in Stowe, about to head over to the rally now --

lcarlson