Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: BMW Management, engineers, designers

  1. #1
    raven
    Guest

    BMW Management, engineers, designers

    With all the hard-bitten, BMW owners/riders headed to Essex Junction to rally, ride and do whatever, does BMW Management send it's designers and engineers to the rally? It would seem a wonderful place and time for the these folks to see how thier designs meet or fail to meet the needs of riders.

  2. #2
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by raven
    With all the hard-bitten, BMW owners/riders headed to Essex Junction to rally, ride and do whatever, does BMW Management send it's designers and engineers to the rally? It would seem a wonderful place and time for the these folks to see how thier designs meet or fail to meet the needs of riders.
    Maybe it is hard to admit failure?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  3. #3
    I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Live Free & Ride, NH
    Posts
    3,860
    Quote Originally Posted by raven
    With all the hard-bitten, BMW owners/riders headed to Essex Junction to rally, ride and do whatever, does BMW Management send it's designers and engineers to the rally? It would seem a wonderful place and time for the these folks to see how thier designs meet or fail to meet the needs of riders.
    They would have to care what we think first, I don't think the end user is their first priority. As the 10% female minority I know they don't care what I think.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

  4. #4
    Loose Cannon flash412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    1,595
    Ef zee kustomerz do NOT like our productz, zen it iss ze kustomerz who are defectif! - BMW Korporate

  5. #5
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
    They would have to care what we think first, I don't think the end user is their first priority. As the 10% female minority I know they don't care what I think.
    If that is the attitude they are going to receive why bother. I tend to avoid places where I know I will get a hostile reception, why should the people from New Jersey be any different?

    I suppose if they really didn't care about you 10%ers then all their riding apparel would not be offered in women's sizes. I guess the lowering kits offered for their bikes are just for short men too.

    We are dicussing BMW's expanded involvement in this year's rally including seminars and Q&A sessions. BMW is also making it possible for us to offer the grand prize winner their choice of new bikes.

    Bottom line is we are inviting and encouraging BMW to take advantage of the proximity of the rally to their HQ and they are responding favorably.

    Best,
    Rob Nye
    06 R1200GSADV 06 R1200RTP
    IBA 250 My Iron Butt Rally Blog
    Bristol, Rhode Island USA
    Proud to move oil

  6. #6
    I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Live Free & Ride, NH
    Posts
    3,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye
    If that is the attitude they are going to receive why bother. I tend to avoid places where I know I will get a hostile reception, why should the people from New Jersey be any different?

    I suppose if they really didn't care about you 10%ers then all their riding apparel would not be offered in women's sizes. I guess the lowering kits offered for their bikes are just for short men too.

    We are dicussing BMW's expanded involvement in this year's rally including seminars and Q&A sessions. BMW is also making it possible for us to offer the grand prize winner their choice of new bikes.

    Bottom line is we are inviting and encouraging BMW to take advantage of the proximity of the rally to their HQ and they are responding favorably.

    Best,
    You make good points as usual Rob. I'm not very knowledgeable about BMW's after market efforts in the area of making things smaller for the average sized women rider (as that has never been an issue for me) My beef with BMW and women is the continued sexist advertising that I see. The women are always beautifully groomed passengers . I long for the day when women riders are treated as riders and not objects de art. There is no effort on their part to market to women. They have no stock offerings that are appropriate for people of smaller stature. It's not their market.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

  7. #7
    HODAG
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
    My beef with BMW and women is the continued sexist advertising that I see. The women are always beautifully groomed passengers .
    The male models look like no one I've ever seen riding a bmw also.


    you know what sexist thing irks me, baby changing stations located only in womens rest rooms. Am I the only dad that takes his kids out to eat, and then has to change a diaper???

  8. #8
    dogsridewith
    Guest

    Reason

    Girls will buy a "guy" vehicle. Guys won't buy a "chick" vehicle. Why VW was so stupid to put the bud vase in the new beetle and wait years to bring out a hot one.

  9. #9
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
    You make good points as usual Rob. I'm not very knowledgeable about BMW's after market efforts in the area of making things smaller for the average sized women rider (as that has never been an issue for me) My beef with BMW and women is the continued sexist advertising that I see. The women are always beautifully groomed passengers . I long for the day when women riders are treated as riders and not objects de art. There is no effort on their part to market to women. They have no stock offerings that are appropriate for people of smaller stature. It's not their market.

    When it comes to the height of their bikes, you're right. However, when it comes to riding gear, they offer a wider array of gear that's suitable for women than anyone else.

    Perhaps you missed their campaign with the R11S a couple years ago. The rider, a woman, utters one of the most famous taglines of BMWdom: "I didn't know BMW made cars until I passed one."

    Also, for the F650CS, they had: "I got my first accessory on my bike. I think his name is Mike."

    On the pictures they used to circulate of the track day at Loudon, they had one that was a series of R11Ss flying in close formation. Judy Mirro was riding the lead bike, though it's hard to tell.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  10. #10
    Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,799
    It is interesting as working for a manufacturer in a different industry (although we are a supplier to BMW Automotive as well as Harley) we have just now started taking our engineers to tradeshows. It has been a boon for us.

    The customers like talking with the factory people. The engineers get outside of their cube and get to interact with customers and get responses. Also many of the engineers often say, "we never thought about ..." so for them to get direct unfiltered feedback is a good thing. I know of at least five changes we have made in the past three months just from these meetings.

    I think that the BMW team should be willing to talk with their customers to help improve their products, it will help breakdown the barriers between corporate and customers.

    Now in terms of taking lumps... I have done my share of that. It is part of the deal.
    -=Brad

    It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

  11. #11
    Registered User chasman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    1,115

    Cool

    I always thought BMW motorcycles should be sold without seats and windshieds. Most of us replace one or both soon after buying a bike! 8>O


    Riding Like the Wind (on a Rick Mayer saddle)...

    CHASMAN #12106
    Black '02 K12RS
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    NRA Life Member

  12. #12
    Has the GS-Lust The_Veg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Posts
    5,333
    In the vehicle industry, the model passenger for ergonomic layout is still 5'10" and maybe 180 lbs
    At least it's not the 5'7" & 150 lbs they use in aircraft design.
    2012 R1200GS

    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

  13. #13
    2014 R1200GSW Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Killdeer, ND
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by marK11LT
    Am I the only dad that takes his kids out to eat, and then has to change a diaper???
    Yes.

  14. #14
    Registered User marcopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    655

    Engineers At Rally

    I'd like to see the engineers from BMW Germany at the rally. Two years ago I went to Americade and did a fair number of demo rides there. At the Kawasaki area, there were three R&D engineers from Japan talking to riders after their demo rides. One of them spent 30 mins asking me what I'd like to see in the next generation Concours. He seemed genuinely interested and took lots of notes. He sometimes needed a little help with English from one of his colleagues, but he was quite keen to hear what I had to say and asked me lots of questions. I was quite impressed. Can't see why BMW can't do that. I don't see a whole lot of point in talking to BMW US (unless it's about service/warranty and the like), when the ones who take the decisions are in Germany.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

  15. #15
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by chasman
    I always thought BMW motorcycles should be sold without seats and windshieds. Most of us replace one or both soon after buying a bike! 8>O


    Riding Like the Wind (on a Rick Mayer saddle)...

    CHASMAN #12106
    Black '02 K12RS
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    NRA Life Member
    Almost every review of a BMW bike comments on the seat. Do they make them uncomfortable on purpose or are Germans rears built differently? One could draw many different conclusions from failure of BMW to address this issue.

    I have a Russell on Lucy and it is very comfortable. When I bought the bike, the PO gave me the stock seat which is now 13 years old and still new.

    Perhaps BMW has interest in the after market seat and windshield companies? (insert tongue in cheek emoticon here)
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •