Thread: F650 Chain Link ?

F650 Chain Link ?

Is there any reason I cannot cut the chain and use a joining link instead of taking the swing arm off to install a new chain ?
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

Don't forget your towel
    Just about everything you ever wanted to know about your chain can be found here:

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Chain_Sproc...#FITTING_CHAIN

The short answer is no, there is no reason not to cut the old chain off and use one with a masterlink. Though I suppose one could use chain replacement as a reason to pull the swingarm and check it's bearings etc...

Steve

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Just make sure you put the outer-most C-Clip on with the open part facing backwards as the direction of the chain goes. (If you put on --- on the bottom, the open part will be facing towards the engine, as the chain rotates clockwise)

It's not a 'strength' thing, both types of master-links are the same, but it can be a safety thing if the C-clip comes off and you are going 60 or so when the side-plate comes off and you drop a chain.

After doing this just check it as one of your 'pre-flight' ride checks.

"If you put the clip on backwards (with the open portion facing the same direction of the chain then anything can catch it and knock it off". If you have/use a chain guide they can wear to clip down to nothing over time or catch the clip and knock it off real quick.

HTH

Doc
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Also as a tip learned from the DVDs from F650.com (thanks Flash) put some silicone RTV on the link too to prevent it from loosening...this is a great safety net.

Why not just use a rivet link to secure it? IMO, and certainly under normal circumstances, there's no reason to take a chain off until it's time for a replacement. Why give Murphy another chance to sneak in and ruin a perfectly good ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadlsor
    Why not just use a rivet link to secure it? IMO, and certainly under normal circumstances, there's no reason to take a chain off until it's time for a replacement. Why give Murphy another chance to sneak in and ruin a perfectly good ride?
    I bought a riveting tool by RK a few years back. When I install a new chain (on my VFR), I use the rivet tool and never have to worry about the master link again. I think I paid $50 or so for the tool.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    I bought a riveting tool by RK a few years back. When I install a new chain (on my VFR), I use the rivet tool and never have to worry about the master link again. I think I paid $50 or so for the tool.
    I paid $3 for a roll of stainless safety wire and get the same "never have to worry about the master link" kind of security. I can also take my chain off in about 90 seconds to clean it if I want.

(OK, so I paid a bit more for the safety wire pliers I couldn't live without. But they perform a multitude of uses around the house and the vehicles).