Thread: disassemble the parts

disassemble the parts

I bought a new petcock to replace the old, that's point one. Point two is that I bought new gaskets to replace those contained in the old petcock.

The problem you ask?

How do I get the plate to unscrew from the main body? There are two slits, but I do not have a "tool" that will allow me to secure both sides so I can turn the face to change the gaskets.

Help!

Thanks.

Someone has taken apart a fuel petcock; How did you unscrew the face? I have it my hand, but I cannot get a grip on the slits to open the face to repair the gaskets.

Take two screwdrivers with tips that fit the slots. Put one in each slot. Put a third across the middle of the first two, to form a sort of an "H" in your hand. Unscrew it a bit. Depending on the petcock, you MIGHT be able to grab the "lip" of the part that unscrews with slip-joint pliers. Certainly after you unscrew it a turn or three you can.

Thanks. I will give that a try. I was trying a "chisel" approach with a mallet and screwdriver, but no dice. This may show some promise.

Lightbulb

I use a needle nose plyers, with long njose, so thast it reaches over the center. Then turn away. Careful when it come apart, there is a spring washers under it.

MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]