Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blue Ridge Parkway

Quote Originally Posted by Visian
    Check the BRP before you go down 441... it was still closed yesterday where it crosses Balsam Gap (US74)

Another very fine way to get to I-26 from Deal's Gap is to take NC28 south from the south end of the Dragon, to US74 east, to NC209 to Hot Springs. From Hot Springs, US25/70 South/East to NC208 then NC212 to I-26. Sweet roads.
    Ian
    Thanks SFDOC and Belg for the support and info. If I see a bear, it's going to turn into a photo session for sure.

Ian, I highlighted the map using 74, 209, and 212 to 23. That looks good, but it cuts out the south end of BRP. I was told that section of the BRP from the park to Asheville is a must ride. Then again, that whole area looks good so I'm sure you can't go wrong. 212 actually cuts into what looks like Hwy 23 even though it aligns with I-26 to the south and at Erwin there looks to be a scenic road 81 which is parallel to 181 at Johnson City and it also cuts over to 81. Have you tried that 81?

I think the price to pay for riding these special roads is I'm going to have to trade with a lot of Big Slab to get me up to Nova Scotia. I'm coming further east than originally planned to ride the Smokey Mountains which I want to do if I'm going to be that close, but there's just so many days of vacation.

It's looking like I-81 after riding to Front Royal all the way to Scranton or Bimington,NY before cutting over towards Albany and Troy. From there it should be some good roads again. Who knows, I-81 could be nice through PA.

I've been spoiled the last two summers riding out west. Huge highways with zero traffic and and making great distance in a day not to mention dry weather. I think there's no way you can make that kind of time riding in the northeast with all the dense population and traffic. We'll see. There's always the ride home as well.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy
    Ian, I highlighted the map using 74, 209, and 212 to 23. That looks good, but it cuts out the south end of BRP. I was told that section of the BRP from the park to Asheville is a must ride. Then again, that whole area looks good so I'm sure you can't go wrong. 212 actually cuts into what looks like Hwy 23 even though it aligns with I-26 to the south and at Erwin there looks to be a scenic road 81 which is parallel to 181 at Johnson City and it also cuts over to 81. Have you tried that 81?
    It's ok, nothing to write home about. BTW, US23 is now I-26. The nicer roads to get to I-81 and the long slog north (right decision on your part, BTW) are on the east side of I-26. TN91 goes east through a series of valleys and goes through Damascus, VA to intersect with I-81. That's a nice ride.

You're right about the southern end of the BRP... it's the highest elevation section of the parkway and a grand ride. If you're near the Mt. Pisgah Inn/rest area around breakfast or lunch (north of where US276 crosses) I recommend stopping in.

This section of the parkway is often in the clouds, btw, even when the weather is not-so-bad down low. So if the weather ain't so good, consider the roads I've shown you.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

ruomal

I-81 Binghamton to Albany

Hi,

We hit I-81 south of Binghamton last year and there was constant construction/traffic backed up, so maybe have a few detours in mind that you can quickly exit and then hop back on further up the line

Binghamton on to Oneonta is nice, but Oneonta to Albany is really rather pretty - or you can run Rt 7 which runs along side 81 or if you want other routes like 23 to 10 or 23 to 30, they still shoot you up towards Albany.

If you find yourself near Cobleskill/Schoharie - let me know, you're welcome to stop in if you need a break

Hey De,

Thanks for the offer. I've got you noted for when I know I'll be nearby.

What's the deal on 7 winding around I-88 ? I didn't see it until I zoomed way in. Can you make good time on it ?

Any tricks to getting around Albany to the east side so I can take 7 to Bennington, VT ?

Randy

ruomal

Oooppps

I meant to state I-88, use to travel I-81 all the time from Syracuse to Whitney Pt. sometimes to Binghamton - got them confused, sorry.

From Binghamton you would take 88 towards Sidney, Oneonta, Worcester, Cobleskill if you want to slab it. Otherwise Rt 7 runs along with 88 through little towns. On Rt 7 I average 60-65, but do obey speed zones through the little towns, once outside of them you can go.

As for getting around Albany over to Troy/Rt 7 - it's not that bad depending on time of day and there are two ways.

Have to get back to work, will touch base with you later on it - De

rocketman
    don't think anyone has posted this link yet (?) all the info you could want on the BRP http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ and thier maps
    http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/maps.htm this site can't be beat for all the info they have on places to stay, things to do etc. They can send you a hard copy as well, that is what I used when I did the entire road and the Smokys back in 2000.
    Go before the summer break, south to north always seems less conjested (which you will be doing anyway). My favorite place to stay on the south end is The Alpine Inn in Little Switzerland, NC just a mile off the parkway on alt 226. they have the most stunning views and sit at around 3500ft right on the very edge of the mountain so the whole valley opens up below, and are very motorcycle friendly, when I stayed there they brought out something to put under my sidestand to keep the bike from sinking into the pavement.
    i ALWAYS recommend them to anyone who has the time to overnight there.

And yes, watch out for the deer in the early AM and late evening, they are ALL over the road!

RM

I book marked the Alpine Inn. That place is awesome ! Gorgous views, friendly service and a great price. Thanks RM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy
    I book marked the Alpine Inn. That place is awesome ! Gorgous views, friendly service and a great price. Thanks RM.
    And... you gotta ride down the hill and back up NC Alt 226 while you're there !

If you take the Parkway be prepared for a "scenic" ride . . . and not a ÔÇ£spiritedÔÇØ ride. Speed limits are slow and they are enforced. Also, be prepared to get stuck behind long Harley ÔÇ£ConvoysÔÇØ. (The speed limit on the Parkway is low. The Harleys will be going slower than the speed limit.) The best time to ride is during the week.

Avoid DealÔÇÖs Gap on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The road is too crowded with kids on sports bikes. Someone crashes almost every weekend. Some of the kids think nothing of passing you on a double yellow line in a blind curve.

The Cherohala Skyway is a hoot ÔÇô with lotÔÇÖs of fast sweepers. I personally think that it is one of the best rides in that part of North Carolina/Tennessee.

Stop in Tellico Plains ÔÇô along the river ÔÇô and have some pork barbeque. I canÔÇÖt remember the name of the place but you canÔÇÖt miss it. The food is great.

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer
    If you take the Parkway be prepared for a "scenic" ride . . . and not a ÔÇ£spiritedÔÇØ ride. Speed limits are slow and they are enforced.
    Alas, this is true, especially the enforcement part, even on New Year's Day. 'Tis a sad story.

Fred

Nothing wrong with taking it easy and enjoying the scenery on the Blue Ridge or the Dragon Tail. If the sport bikes want to pass over the double line, so be it. I'm just not going to be in a hurry on those days. Hopefully with some sensible riding and the Valentine working overtime, I can avoid the cops.

Not a day goes by without thinking of this trip. I'm coming up on 90 days to "Clutch out" hopefully on July 6th.

That attitude will get you through fine and with good memories!
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4

Blue Ridge

RTRandy,

My wife and I rode the BRP end to end and back two years ago in July. Never broke a sweat except when we came down for gas. Expect fog, heavy with a rain like fall at times. Need I say "deer"? Speeding fines are HEAVY.

It is a great ride I would do again in a heart beat. Also, check out the biker friendly Stations Inn.

Ride safe,
    Dan

BELG
    Just an FYI, I think I saw this on bmwbmw or advrider, but apparently speeding on the BRP is a felony because it's a national park, and there's allegedly no such thing as a federal misdemeanor. Food for thougth when planning times.

That being said.... guess I've committed a lot of felonies.

It's a Federal Offense. Your state does not find out about the ticket.
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4