Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A thought on battery tenders..........

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr
    I bought a Deltran Battery Tender in 1999 when it was the only model. Later, I bought a Plus model, put the Plus onto my Roadster and moved the original to my restored '63 Buick Riviera. The Riv is sorely neglected due to motorcycle fun, but today I went to where it sits and the Battery Tender's red light was on - steady. Connections were good. I unpugged it, found that the battery was charged, and started the car (after the dry carb was filled by the mechanical fuel pump). No problem there.

After I chewed up the water pump shaft and bearing and made arrangements for that, I turned my attention to the Battery Tender. I plugged it in, and no light at all. I touched the clips to see if there was any 12v juice - nothing. Is the Battery Tender destined for the landfill? Do they wear out? I can pick up a BT Plus from M/C Accy Warehouse through Amazon for $34, so that's what I will do unless there is an easy fix.

TIA for any advice.

Fred
    '02 R1150R
    '63 Riv w/ Wildcat 445 engine that demands Sunoco 94 and LOTS of it!
    The "Battery Tender" has to be attached to a battery that is not totally discharged...like it has to see maybe 9 or 10 volts or something before it turns on. You won't see any sparks, etc by touching the leads together.
    It's probably fine.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    IMHO, trying to read a voltage across the input plug wouldn't work, as the internal transformer only works on AC, not DC.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

SUV Rider
    I have a battery tender plus, and have at times left it unplugged from the wall (needed the extension cord) whilst connected at the battery...no discharge after a week...the usual testing/charging sequence that Delrans do was the only thing noticeable.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PUDGYPAINTGUY
    I have a battery tender plus, and have at times left it unplugged from the wall (needed the extension cord) whilst connected at the battery...no discharge after a week...the usual testing/charging sequence that Delrans do was the only thing noticeable.
    The BT has a diode in the output to prevent any current from flowing back into it.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

In doing the math ...

In doing the math a new motorcyle battery is around $80 for the basic non space age lead acid variety. EBay does yield some bargains.

YUASA 12V 5-STAGE AUTOMATIC BATTERY TENDER can be had for about $40 on eBay.

The BT will extend the life of the battery. After removing the helmet and gloves plugging in the BT is the first thing I do when the ride is back home. Keep the electrical system happy and healthy or always carry a set of those nifty small battery cables.

Invest in a Battery Tender. The battery will always be at full charge and the entire electrical system will be at peace.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.