Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Big Bend Country

I'm glad Phil shared our wonderful ride yesterday. We were willing to wimp out to save him but he would have none of that.
    As it turns out the day was gorgeous!

Sorry there are no pictures of the River Road. We were having too much fun to stop ; )

Go here: http://photobucket.com/albums/a326/V...20with%20Phil/

And if you want pictures of the River Road, guess we'll just have to go back and take some this time.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Hi, Stevie Wonder,
    Yeah, it was sweet. And as far as the cold, it's my own fault. I believed the Weather Channel (lows in the high 30's and wind not more than [as I remember] 15mph or so) and decided to wear my electric vest and not bother with the electric chaps nor electric gloves. BIG MISTAKE But, even with the cold, I'd do it again in a New York Minute!! And besides, riding with Paul and Voni (and listening to the stories) is great.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

Seems we had a few too many visitors to our Texas Trip part of the web site. But, Earthlink gave us some clues and Paul got to work moving the content to:

NEW SITE: http://web.bigbend.net/users/glaves/texastrip2.htm

We'll continue to update now and then . . .

Thanks for coming along.

Voni
    sMiling
    Last edited by Voni; 11-19-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Nice write-up Voni. And the photos were just what I needed today.

My wife grew up in Marfa Texas during the late 50s and 60s. We have been to visit a few times since she still has family in San Angelo and Alpine areas.

Absolutely beautiful country. I envy you guys being able to take it in this way.

We're planning on tying my bike onto the bed of my truck in April and heading out there together. I want to ride around west Texas and she wants to visit family, so it'll work out for us both.

Good for you! The best of both worlds for each of you.

Marfa is a town that is in an exciting growing phase. Most of the changes have brought vitality but I'm sure some would like it to stay the same as it ever was. The art scene is incredible.

What does your wife think the Marfa lights are?

Voni
    sMiling

Lunch in Delicias, Chihuahua

Voni asked Harriet and me to come to Alpine, TX a few weeks ago to help celebrate Paul's XXth birthday. We did, and HE PAID THE BILL! So I promised I'd take them to one of my favorite restaurants - El Borrego II in Delicias, Chihuahua. Last Thursday I did just that!

I left home at 4:00am so I could pick them up around 8:30. I brought the car because I already had the Mexico temporary import sticker on it and it would be a hassle (and expensive) to cancel it, get stickers for all 3 bikes, cancel them at the end of the trip, etc., so I made an "executive decision" and we went in my Honda Accord.

Arriving at the border about 10:00, we went to Immigration to get them their required paperwork. It was handled in 5 minutes by a friendly, efficient Immigration officer, who told me (in Spanish) that for a visit of only a day, they did not need to pay the (about $20) fee (each) normally collected for the tourist forms. We thanked him and I contributed to the Immigration officers' coffee fund, a PURELY VOLUNTARY gesture on my part, not necessary nor asked for by anyone. He was, though, a nice guy and they aren't paid a lot.

A couple of miles into the interior of Mexico (legal term - we had passed out of the frontier zone into the interior) we stopped at a military checkpoint and were waved on. This is probably due to my being recognized by one of the soldiers, as I used to pass this way frequently up to a month-and-a-half ago. We continued on, down a 2-lane well paved and maintained road for a bit over 150 miles, covering the distance in a little less than 2 hours. You do the math! At Camargo we turned northand headed for Delicias, about 40 miles away. After paying 2 different $4 tolls (Mexican toll roads are EXPENSIVE), we arrived in Delicias and went to the restaurant. Paul and Voni had 6 tacos each and I modestly had 8. That plus 3 drinks set me back less than $15 (dollars, not pesos).

We left the restaurant and I took them sightseeing. Since my (ex)boss told me on January 23 that my position was eliminated - effective immediately, I have been hunting for another job. And since I used to work with Mexican contractors in Mexico, I wanted to visit one of the ex-contractors and leave a resume. So I dragged Paul and Voni along and took them to a large commercial laundry while I talked to the owner. We then left and headed back the way we came, but not before stopping at a supermarket and buying a couple of quarts (yes - quarts, not litres) of Bacardi rum ($9 each) to take as an offering to Harriet, who couldn't come even though El Borrego II is her very favorite restaurant in Mexico.

Upon our arrival, again, at the military checkpoint, they checked us out this time. Finding nothing except 3 gringos who had spent the day in Mexico, they smiled, said sorry for the delay, and bade us farewell. We turned in Paul and Voni's Mexican paperwork and had their passports stamped going out (important if they stamped the passports coming in, which they had done) and crossed the bridge to the US after paying the 20 peso ($1.95) toll. Texas charges a tax on all liquor, wine, beer and cigarettes brought across the border. Isn't it too bad that we crossed after the tax-collector had gone home for the day? We headed north to Marfa, passing through a Border Patrol checkpoint a few miles south of Marfa. In Marfa, I turned east toward Alpine to return them to their motor home and Sarge, their large, friendly dog.

We stopped in Alpine for dinner and then went to the RV park, where it being 9:30pm, they twisted my arm to stay the night in the RV. Sarge didn't snore; I hope I didn't. I awakened about 6:30 and got dressed and let Sarge out. Paul then came into the kitchen/dining area and we started talking. Shortly afterward Voni joined us and, again, twisted my arm to stay for breakfast. And for all you who know the Lady in Red, I am here and now reporting that she also wears red pyjamas as well as red leathers and red jeans.

After breakfast I said my good-byes to Paul, Voni and Sarge and headed back to El Paso. We had a great time as well as great tacos!

Respectfully submitted,
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

We've been having too much fun to update the website but since Phil posted his update, we thought we'd better add the pictures.

And our gratitude for a really WONDERFUL day. Phil was a gracious host - in two languages.

Go here:
    http://web.bigbend.net/users/glaves/texastrip3.htm

Next up. New tires for the RED F650. And a visit from my big bro, Mike Cornett .. .

To be continued.

Voni
    sMiling
    Last edited by Voni; 11-19-2009 at 02:44 PM.

We're loaded up like the Beverly Hillbillies to head for our new home in Big Bend Country. Winter there. Summers we'll travel the world.

http://web.bigbend.net/users/glaves/adobe.htm

Out the door now.

Voni
    sMiling
    Last edited by Voni; 11-19-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Coolio. So when is the house warming party?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Wow!

Congratulations! I remember seeing that place on the way back from our off road adventure!

We'll have to drop in and say "hi" sometime!

PS, has anyone mention the tarantula migration that takes place around October? The road looks like it's flowing, with all the little fuzzies headed in one direction.
    Timba
    "You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."
    ~ Charles Buxton
    TnA's travels

Thanks for memories, Voni

My daughter and I on my R1100GS did this same trip on the way to Fredricksburg Rally years ago. I remember the Park Ranger telling us the Park was the least visited one in the USA. Way south! I guess many never take the plunge into the Rio Grande area and are truely missing some good stuff,huh! We were there in July(rally month) and the heat was there alright(over 100), but storm came along while there and temp. dropped big time to 80's. We enjoyed the area and more Beemerphiles should get this one done...If one remembers this particular year, the Texas Hill Country was nearly flooded out. The grasses were very green in West Texas, too and this ride to the "Big Bend" country was spectacular ride. Thanx again for the pics and memories. Randy moa13233. PS;my daughter was about 14 years old that year and won't forget the memories either, I'm sure.

Ridin' the keyboard
    Welcome to Texas, Paul, Voni and Sarge!

What a great winter report. Gives me a goal for retirement, when that day comes, many years from now. Yes, I'm a tad jealous

Here's another web forum for you to check out if you haven't already: www.twtex.com
    Jason
    MOA#109159
    AMA#699688
    '03 K1200LTC Impala Brown (RIP)

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni
    We're loaded up like the Beverly Hillbillies to head for our new home in Big Bend Country. Winter there. Summers we'll travel the world.

http://www.mindspring.com/~paul.glaves/adobe.htm

Out the door now.

Voni
    sMiling
    Wow. That's an interesting move. The house looks really nice, all the stone work, etc.
    What a great place for Ham Radio antennas. I know what I would do with that windmill tower. Build a couple more, taller.
    I kept thinking you would find Burt Monroe's cot inside the shed.
    Good luck on your winter quarters.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    Coolio. So when is the house warming party?

In the fall.

We're back in Kansas now planning for my son's wedding. And finishing our 49 state ride. And . . .

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by nospamsatx
    Congratulations! I remember seeing that place on the way back from our off road adventure!

We'll have to drop in and say "hi" sometime!

PS, has anyone mention the tarantula migration that takes place around October? The road looks like it's flowing, with all the little fuzzies headed in one direction.
    Hope you do.

Tarantulas? Um. No. I've just been stressing about the snakes and the lizards and the scorpions . . .

Thanks ; (

Voni
    sMiling