Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bend Country

Big Bend Country

Paul and I have run away from home - and snow and cold - to visit the desert. Sure is a change from the usual summer weather here.

Since yesterday was a little chilly, Paul took the time to compose this:
    http://web.bigbend.net/users/glaves/texastrip.htm

Voni
    sMiling
    Last edited by Voni; 11-19-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

steviewonder
    Looks like you've discovered a SMALL part of the reason that Texas IS God's country !!!

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Voni & Paul, nice travelogue. Thanks!

I've ridden across the Texas panhandle but have never made it to West Texas. You're helping to keep alive my scheme to eventually get there.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Shawn_P
    Great writeup! Big Bend is on my short list - this just makes me want to go all the more!

Hope you have a great escape and enjoy your time together!

REBECCAV
    Big Bend is on my 'to do' list and now more than ever. Thanks for posting the link - great report and pictures!

Glad y'all liked the page. If you have the time, follow the "click here" links, and the the links from those links. You can spend quite a bit of snowed-in time browsing if you want to. Some of this stuff fascinates me.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

RIDERR1150GSADV

Thumbs up

Very cool write-up! Waiting for more

Mudbug

Suggestion

I highly recommend Big Bend during the winter months. The temperature during the summer is hot, sometimes very hot.

I recommend going to Marathon, TX, Lajitas, TX, and a half day trip to Terlingua, TX. Also, while you are in that part ot Texas, visit Langtry, TX, home of Judge Roy Bean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kbrick

Wanderlust is alive!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves
    Glad y'all liked the page. If you have the time, follow the "click here" links, and the the links from those links. You can spend quite a bit of snowed-in time browsing if you want to. Some of this stuff fascinates me.
    Thanks for taking the time to share some of your adventure.

Now know where all the F650's have gone...the're on the road!

I guess that is Larry McMurtry country you are passing through, he is one of my favorite authors, enjoy your respite from your Kansas winter.

On your way home don't forget Archer City and its famous Dairy Queen (McMurtry's, Walter Benjaman at the Dairy Queen).

steviewonder
    Here are some similar shots ...

Ft. Clark (Brackettville, TX) where the original movie "The Alamo" was filmed. Among other notables, Gen George Patton was stationed here.
    Last edited by StevieWonder; 02-13-2006 at 03:13 AM.

steviewonder
    Judge Roy Bean plaque

steviewonder
    Ft Davis was named for Jefferson Davis, Secretary of War and later President of the Confederate States of America. It was built to provide quarters to troops who were to protect travellers on the road from San Antonio to El Paso.

steviewonder
    The Davis Mountains surround the area around Ft. Davis. They offer a cool respite from the hot weather in the summer (about 10-20 degrees cooler than the surrounding lowlands).

steviewonder
    The scenic loop out of Ft Davis offers great scenery and some great curves too. This shot is approaching the mountainous part of the loop.
    Last edited by StevieWonder; 02-13-2006 at 03:49 AM.

USERNAME
    i liked fort davis.