Thread: The Dunlop 491 Elite II story...

Guzzi

Unhappy The Dunlop 491 Elite II story...

I'm kinda new to this forum, and so far, I'm thinkin' it's pretty cool!

Based on what I hear and have experienced the last couple years, the Dunlop 491 Elite II tire is EXTREMELY hard to find, and most retailers are saying that Dunlop has had them backordered for quite awhile. I was just wondering if anyone else uses this model and has had problems finding it. I have a pretty interesting story to tell about my communication with Dunlop, but if there's not much interest in the tire here, I won't bore you all with the story.

Okay? Okay! Thanx!

Over on the IBMWR list they're not having much trouble getting them.

Who are you ordering/buying from?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Blocking the slow lane
    Post the Dunlop story! My wife and I have been running 401s and 491s for years. I still think the 401 is the best tire ever made, radial or bias-ply.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Guzzi
    I dunno. Maybe it's just the 110/90-18 rear that there's problems with. That's what I run on my RT and here's the reason why I'm having trouble finding it:

I e-mailed Dunlop expressing my frustration with the unavailability of the 491 Elite II, and asked them if the tire had been discontinued, OR WHAT! They responded very qiuckly, offering their apology for my inconvenience, and provided me with a toll free number (1-800-845-8378) directly to their motorcycle tire division customer service center. They assured me that whoever I talked to at that number would be able to "assist" me.

Upon calling the number, I got ahold of the "customer service representative from HELL!" He was EXTREMELY smug, and, as a matter of fact, he was downright RUDE when he informed me that since there were "only" 300-400 491 Elite II rear tires - (size: (yup!) 110/90-18) on order by retailers throughout the country, it "wasn't a priority," and the tire "is not in the production schedule." But, Dunlop keeps giving their dealers a projected production date, and when the date arrives, and there's no tires in the pipeline, they push the production date back another month or two. This has been going on for a LONG TIME!

That phone call occured several days ago, and I'm STILL pretty hot about the response (or lack thereof) that I got. Hence, the above toll free number! Maybe...just MAYBE if enough people holler at 'em, they'll listen! There's strength in numbers, people!

So, that's my story...but I guess the bottom line is that I FOUND one (the LAST one they had!) at the same place I bought the last one two years ago......15 miles from my house! I was there to pick it up 30 Minutes after I called them!

I run 491's (after my 591's wore out and were then discontinued). My rear is 120/90-18 and front is 100/90-18. I put a new set on last fall, ordered from TireExpress (I think). No problems with supply. I really like them so far. I don't ride hard enough to tell the difference between these and my old 591's.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

Guzzi

Thumbs up

They'll last ALOT longer than the 591's! Keep the air "up" in'em. I've got just shy of 16K on my set, and the rear's good for the rest of this year. The front will probably last through next year. Despite the "attitude" I got from Dunlop, I LIKE the tires!

Blocking the slow lane
    Aha. Yes, we've had problems getting the 110/90-18 version in the past, and substituted the 120/90-18 by just changing the spacer in the rear wheel to clear the swingarm. The 120 seems to be pretty common since all the later Monolever Airheads can run it.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador