Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Maine as close as it looks?

aea6574

Is Maine as close as it looks?

Howdy All:

Is maine as close as it looks on the maps? Would a day ride be possible to have some tasty lobster and then make it back for night?

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aea6574
    Howdy All:

Is maine as close as it looks on the maps? Would a day ride be possible to have some tasty lobster and then make it back for night?
    I would have too much trouble sightseeing to make it a day trip. Mileage wise, I imagine it is possible. Then again I live in Ohio, and real scenery is a treat when riding.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

If you're just going to a lobstah pound and back, you can surely do it. But Loraz is right, you'll likely get diverted and detained. Acadia National Park is a pretty nice detour, for example.

--Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Depends on your idea of "day ride..." I'm thinking NOT.

You'll want to arrive in time to be served at your restaurant of choice, of course,
    and unless you're talking a 24 hour Saddle Sore, I'm not seeing it.

And do not underestimate how far EAST we are. It can appear deceiving if you're eyeballing.
    And it may be closer to go through Canada, eh?

Yup. Check Mapquest, slabbing all the way:
    Total Est. Time: 13 hours, 38 minutes Total Est. Distance: 844.85 miles

Go for the long weekend plan. We need your tourist dollars.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

1flyer
    Darryl,

Is that Cadiliac (?) Mountian at Acadia National Park? I have a pictue that looks very much like yours. Only I'm in the picture, not you, and it was taken about 40+ years ago. I remember learning how to eat my first "lobstah" at a small dinner in Bar Harbor. Lov'ed them ever since!

One blessing (or curse) is that the old saying of "you can't get there from here" rings somewhat true when trying to go east / west in New England.

All our big roads go North and South, from the fairground it would be a very long day.

I would encourage you to come early or stay late and enjoy the area. If you are coming to New England from out of town I would suggest that you head Down East (Maine) first and then take the smaller roads west to the rally. While July is high season, it will still be easy to find a place to camp or even an afforadble B&B is you look inland a bit.

Plus if all you seek is great seafood you don't need to go to Maine, there are some great seafood places on the coast from Rhode Island on East.

Best,

Rob Nye
    2006 Rally Co-Chair

Yessah A Great Advencha.......

Yessah Chummy,

A trip to Maine'll straighten ya right out mistah man.........It would be
    a great before or after the rally adventure. Lots to see and a genuinely
    beautiful place to live. A trip to Maine would be well worth a few extra
    days..........yu'd have a wicked good time.......ayup..............Don BMWRSM

Unregistered

VT to Maine

Sure it can be done in a day. I do a day ride to Freeport, Maine for lobsta' each spring, gets the riding season off to a great start. My home is just 6 miles from the rally, and it takes me 4.5 hours on back roads to get to Freeport (200 miles). I leave at 7 - 7:30 and I'm eating lobster by noon at the warf in South Freeport after an enjoyable ride thru the hills & lakes of VT, NH, and Maine. I can provide the route if you want. After lunch, a quick walk around LL Bean's store and I'm back before 6.

Brian

I've never done it but can't you just take RT 2 across NH to ME? I suppose you need to go to the coast for lobster, though. I know that's only one part (like 1/5?) of the NE1000 saddlesore ride.
    MarkF

Mudbug

Talking translation - I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye
    the old saying of "you can't get there from here"
    A while back, I spend a year working in Providence, RI. On weekends I spent time sightseeing in Boston and other places, frequently getting lost. When I stopped to ask for directions, I was told "you can't get there from here". No one I talked to knew how to get around town. If "you can't get there from here" is true then the Pilgrims would have never gotten off Plymouth rock.

In my humble Southern opinion, "I don't know" sounds better than "you can't get there from here".

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    As Rob mentioned, East/West routes are not our forte. From Burlington, 2 to 302 is as fast as it will get, and it's slow. While one may get across VT & NH lickety split, Maine takes just about forever. It's a big state. Finding a camp site in July is near impossible. Although with a bike it may be do able to fit "one more" in.

If only we had more time! 3 more days would do it for you. One to, one fro and one there.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Maine South Portland

Make sure you go to Capt Newwicks in South Portland Maine. Best lobster in Maine. Easy Day trip 2 1/2 hours each way.
    Phil from Florida orig Maine
    Broadway South Portland.

tuber1

Cool

like Gail and some others said, you can do it quick, but it wouldn't be fun. Our roads are more for scenery than for 'getting there'. Just come early and make a day trip to ME and back.. There are lots of B&B inns in VT ,you should be able to find one to stay over.

US 2 to Maine

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF
    I've never done it but can't you just take RT 2 across NH to ME? I suppose you need to go to the coast for lobster, though. I know that's only one part (like 1/5?) of the NE1000 saddlesore ride.
    Mark, you sure can. Rte 2 to Bethel then Rte 26 to Auburn then 136 to Freeport. There are a lot of other side roads available. Rte 2 can be hideously slow in the summer months.
    Jim Briggs
    1987 K100LT

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyer
    Darryl,

Is that Cadiliac (?) Mountian at Acadia National Park? I have a pictue that looks very much like yours. Only I'm in the picture, not you, and it was taken about 40+ years ago. I remember learning how to eat my first "lobstah" at a small dinner in Bar Harbor. Lov'ed them ever since!
    No, I don't believe it is. This is just south and up a bit from the ferry terminal, north of Bah Hahbah.

While the mileage isn't so great, there's a ton of little towns along all the roads back there, so the speeds are down. I did ride from my campsite at the Yankee Beemers' Pemi River Rally in NH to the ME coast and back in a day, at a leisurely pace, and didn't think too much of it. But it's not like riding in the west.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com