View Poll Results: Would you ride to a rally like Charleston again?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

37 44.58%
  • Possibly, it depends on the location

26 31.33%
  • Possibly, it depends on the weather

0 0%
  • No.

20 24.10%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would you do it again?

Former Club President DonHamblin's Avatar

Did you notice...?

Jim makes some very important points.

In the October issue of the "BMW Owners News" there will be a copy of the Rally Survey that was passed out during the closing. Along with those already received at the rally or by mail, and the polls on this site, the BMW MOA Board of Directors will be looking at those activities most enjoyed (and those with the most objectively critical comments) to shape near future rallies. Mail the survey to us, participate in the polls on this forum, we will read them.

Yes, any available numbers of "new" rally attendees will be factored in to the conclusions we will be making.

A lot of things were bigger hits than we had ever thought. Others suffered from outside forces beyond any mortal's control in any venue. Still other could have been more successful with changes in execution.

One of the most successful, but least noticed, was the '59 minute" closing ceremony orchestrated by Jim. (Thanks again, Jim!) Another was the availability of good, inexpensive food, rather than the usual rally fare. Being able to "entertain" a "significant other" or small child with something besides the band in the beer tent made it a more enjoyable rally for a lot of folks / families.

So we do ask that you take a few minutes to fill out that survey as soon as you receive your October issue. Mailing it back to us will assure that your voice is heard. The voice of a "new" member / first time rally attendee should be just as important as any other.

See you all in the Great North West,

Don Hamblin
    President, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

Cool I had a great time.

Came down from Ontario.....7 of the 10 hours in the rain on the Wed. Found a good spot just down from the beer tent, which really wasn't all that loud at any time. Ya so it rained every day, ya so it rained 10 of the 12 hours it took to get home. Ya so I lost some equipment. I was on my bike, away from home, meeting new people who road machines like mine or ones that I wish I had, that is why I ride. The layout of the rally was nice, you had a choice of where to stay and even if the bus wasn't on time.....ride.

If it's in W.A. next year I'll be there no matter what the layout.....3 weeks holidays of riding across the U.S. again.....what a hoot.

A big thanks to the volunteers

REBECCAV
    Well said, Jim Shaw. As a member of the new demographic, I appreciated your comments. Although I am a camper, most of my riding buddies and fellow club members in my age group (late 20s/early 30s) prefer hotels. I can only imagine the difficult task it is to choose a National location!

My only complaint about this rally was that the set-up seemed to segregate the campers from the hotelers.

However, to answer the original question of the thread - Would I do it again? - Hmm. Letsee, would I get on my bike and ride across the country in order to camp, ride some new roads, see some new scenery, hang out and talk with other Beemer riders, and oh yeah, I get to drink beer too. Gee, twist my arm.
    Last edited by boxergrrlie; 07-27-2003 at 05:18 PM.

While this is my third National, it was the first time my wife opted to join me. We Stayed in the Holiday Inn overlooking the Kanawa river. She mentioned repeatedly, usually during the evening rain storms, Aren't you glad we aren't camping ?

I do prefer the central layout that an all camping rally has, but having a hotel wasnt so bad. I sure do like motorcycles.

Still trying to figure out how to make spokane.

Craig in Ct

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    I was a first time rally attendee, and some of my observations were:

Since I stayed in a Hotel, having to "gear up" to go to the convention center, and then do it again to go to the beer tent, was a bit of a hassle.
    The rally did have a convention feel to me, but then again I wasnt sure what to expect as far as meeting people, and trying to make new friends.
    I think having a central location, so that you could meet the other riders in all situations, without having to travel from place to place would be good.

I dont mind camping, and now that I have seen what the campgrounds looked like, I may try camping at the next rally, yes I will return.
    I found that I was able to strike up a conversation with anyone I chose, everyone was very friendly, and had many great stories to tell. I just wish that the dang rain had held off during the rally so that the ride to the motel in the dark and rain hadn't kept me from enjoying this great group of people as much as I would have liked.
    I found it to be a very enjoyable experience, and one that I will repeat, and I hope it is next year, depending on if I can schedule the time off to attend that far away.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Re: Charlston...what else??

Back a few years ago the YB's helped to host the RA rally in Greenfield MA, as a club member I was there early and set up my tent at party central, back then we weren't as vocal about some of our late night activites. One night after the band stopped playing we went back to where we were camped to look at a fire and drink some more beer, we weren't yelling or anything but somebody didn't like it and got out of his tent screaming with a hatchet in his hand.
    Obviously things like this can get ugly but fortunately he went back into his tent without incident, the next day he moved his tent.
    At this point I usually will try and put some distance from the main group, not because of the noise at night but because of the noise in the morning, these guys will be up having coffee at 5 am.
    If you want to camp there go ahead, just don't complain that you can't sleep.

Originally posted by Unregistered

Most troubling thing I saw though was watching a MOA Director from a large-ish northeastern club try and run people off from a camping area on the west end of the U of C campus. No matter who dared try to pitch a tent in that area, here he arrives painting tales of "Loud and rowdy people who will be carrying on all night" and advising people they "really don't want to camp there". Worked on some but not on 2 young couples from Ohio who pretty much told him to stick it. Sad they got a bad opinion when they discovered he was a MOA Director. Hmm, wonder if they will renew their memberships next year?

SpartanTim

Thumbs up

In reading the comments regarding younger attendees, I thought I'd throw in my $.02. I rode with my 14 year old son to the rally from Michigan this year. He got to learn all about riding in the rain, twisty mountain roads, all the cool gadgets that you can buy from vendors, and the joy of staying at a hotel when it rains! I too liked Trenton, but I'm not that crazy about camping. It is nice to to have one area to check out all the neat bikes, that has vendors, seminars and camping (beer tent!), but don't forget those who just don't care to camp.

As to convention vs. rally, I think the more, the merrier. There were alot of people out in the evening at the Marriott, and we were able to see alot of bikes and shoot the breeze with their owners there. A big rally means to me that there should be something for everyone.

I thought the venue was fine. The people of West Virginia were simply wonderful, often apologizing for the weather, the traffic, and so on. Within 10 minutes of Charleston, we found great riding roads with little traffic. Oh, by the way, my son enjoyed himself very much! Thanks to all the volunteers!

Interesting poll results

38 - 7 here on the 28th of July.

I'd say the site was more successful than may have been imagined. Either that or the "No" folks aren't voting or on the forum.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

cornersquid

Talking We had a really good time!

This was the first rally for the wife and I. We really liked it. We didn't camp as we had relatives there. I'm glad people loved our home state's riding and people. Our relatives and friends in the area had nothing but good things to say about the rallygoers, as did every business. On balance, I think if you came in with an open mind and realized the weather was beyond anyone's control, then I think you could find a good time. I met great people despite the spread-out-ed-ness. I don't think you can expect exactly the same thing every time and I don't think the perfect rally site has been invented. It seems from reading all the threads that folks want it all: camping, hotels, city, country, great roads, friendly people, good weather, ample covered parking, ample parking right next to their bike, et al. I think Charleston offered a lot. Well, you have to take the good with the bad. I see a lot of threads where people found a way to have a good time. We sure did, and the town LOVED the rallygoers. Anyway, thanks to all the volunteers and the MOA and to all the folks who know how to have a good time.

I liked the convention setting. I am one of those 30 something owners Jim refers to. I would much rather stay in a hotel than in a tent especially in that weather. Half of the group I went with decided to camp but when they got to the campus the conditions were so bad that they opted to get a dorm room. Most of the people that rode with us were well under 40 (one of the guys was only 17) and were more than happy with the accomedations in the dorms. The nice thing about the Marriot is we were right across the street from the convention center. The bad thing was when we wanted to hang with our friends at the campus it was a 3 mile ride and you could not fully experience the beer tent since you had to ride back. All in all I would go to another rally no matter where it is but I would take a room over a tent any day and twice on Sunday.
    Last edited by Wolf; 07-31-2003 at 04:05 AM.
    Wolf
    Jughead #3

It's not broken!

Jim Shaw,

We are all in your debt for you work over the years. That said: Ya know Jim, my interest in the MOA is all about what I want from it! I don't care about the chin-out, backward hat, plus-a-bit teenies some think we should suck up to!

I'm an older rider, a camper, a "fix my coffee and breakfast" kind of guy. I spent too many nights in places where others thought I should be, to appreciate anything by my choices at this stage of my life. I have an interest in the viability of MOA but not at the sacrifice of my personal enjoyment. I rally to associate with others who ride and camp. When rallies are other than that, I'll be elsewhere.

We saw each other again, and I shook your hand at registration. I wish you a speedy recovery. I'm sorry your production of the ÔÇÿ03 closing was faulted, and I respect your forum stated opinions about the welfare of the club.

"Rallies" are camps and cameraderie. Rallies are to be attended by riders. Bus and taxi passengers go straight away to your Honda/Harley hotels.

cornersquid

A short answer to Relic

Relic, I'm 40+, not a backward-hat guy at all. This was the first rally for the wife and I. I'm not sure the wife would have been there (or at a future one) if we'd camped with several thousand people on the lawn at UC in the poor weather. I'm glad you like to camp. I do too, but you have to acknowledge that there are other folks out there with different tastes. So this was not a "campers rally": the next one apparently will be. There you go. Not all BMW riders are iconoclastic old campers and just because they stay in a hotel (or private home or dorm) doesn't make them less of a BMW enthusiast. Easy there, fella: you're painting with a pretty broad brush.

I love to camp.

This is where we woke up last Sunday.

But at a national, I prefer a hotel. I need a little quiet time, away from other people, at the end of the day.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Dave, et al, the more pix you guys and gals post, the more I'm gonna endevor to align two weeks of vacation time to make the dreaded trek across North Dakota (no offense North DaKotans) to attend the 2004 affair. We rode Rte.2 from St. Ignance, MI for Miissoula and must admitt it was a glorious trip. It helped having some great riding buds.
    I took receipt yesterday of a Cannon S230 and hopefully I'll have the dang thing figured out by then and can add to "our' photo album. If ya'll don't mind I'm gonna pick a few of these great shots from the forum and use as wallpaper on my 'puter. Nice shootin' Dave. I envy your journey. Glad to see that nice officer in Nevada cut you loose without a "speeding award". By the way, did the forum group ever meet up on that Friday for cold beverage? I took a wander through the beer tent and saw no likely suspects. I was looking for computer nerds wearing Roadcrafter suits(no offense computer nerds or Roadcrafter suits)

In answer to the threaded question, yes, in a New York nanosecond.
    Last edited by beemerron; 08-01-2003 at 11:20 PM.
    Ron R

From the top of Mt. Tamalpais, here in Marin

The road to Mt. St. Helens

Cal Coast with Tina and BMWGypsy

You really need to get out here. Camp or hotel; your call.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA