Thread: k75 wheels

k75 wheels

Does anyone know if there is a wider rear wheel available for a k75s that has a matching front as well? I know with other BMW bikes some wheels are swappable (?). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

buzzez

k75 wheels

Scott,

Not sure about larger wheels but you could get over sized tires.

You could put tires a size larger on your bike. I did that with the Metezeler 880s' and hated it! It made the bike slow into curves and it took effort to sraighten back up.

I now have the right size 100/90h18 front, and the "still over sized" 140/80hb1 on the rear. I'm very pleased with that combo.

HTH
    Last edited by K Tennant; 07-24-2003 at 02:52 PM.

Well - yes there are, but it isn't simple.

My K75S ('87) is wearing wider rims and tires front and back - running MZ4 radials at the moment.

The rims are 3 spokers off a K100RS-4V (actually a bit of a rare K to begin with).. the front rim is 3" and the rear is 4.5".. both are 18" rims.

The not-simple involves several things..

1. The centerstand requires modification to clear the fat rear tire, some cutting and welding is required to the left leg.

2. Removing the rear wheel now requires removing the muffler.. not actually a big deal - takes about 5 minutes and the loosening of one bolt (header to muffler clamp) and removing of two bolts (the rear mounting bolts). The tire is so wide that it will not allow the rim or tire to pass between the rear caliper and the exhaust, so the exhaust has to come off. The upside - the rear fender flap doesn't need to be removed, so it's actually (for me) easier - the flap is a bit of a pita to remove with the ABS brain in the way (and yes - THE K75S has ABS - added to it..)

To see it:

http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger/K75S/K75S.html

If you want more info, ping me directly, I can give you some more information. It does result in the rear tire being offset about 3/4" to the left - which as far as I can tell - has NO effect on the handling (and the bike does track straight with the hands off the bars..)

HTH
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

The K75S

Radials on a K75S

Hi Don!

phactory, Don, MrsK
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.