Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Battery replacement

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post

God, I wish there was some distant planet we could put those people on.

Yes I agree.
    Too many internet experts.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Yes I agree.
    Too many internet experts.
    The worst part is some of them are vendors and suck people into spending their hard earned cash on crap.

Those Voltage Monitors that use colored LEDs as indicators, come to mind. What garbage! And then you have people doing product evaluations (webBikeWorld and MCN come to mind) on them saying they are great...based on what...nice little LEDs that flash back at you? It doesn't take much to suck the average consumer in.

On another forum, a vendor was pushing a charger (Save-A-Battery) as the last battery charger you will ever need. Well it might be if it were any good. Gold contacts...wow, like everybody needs those. It even did a "Load Test"...I knew better and it took ages to get a number out of the company. It did a load test of 20W...yep, less than 2 amps. Hell, my headlight will load test that battery better. A real load test is defined.

We should start a thread about all the effing BS on the net.

BTW, my coworker read the above comments and couldn't keep a straight face. We both work in a lab; power systems, chargers, batteries, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    The worst part is some of them are vendors and suck people into spending their hard earned cash on crap.

Those Voltage Monitors that use colored LEDs as indicators, come to mind. What garbage! And then you have people doing product evaluations (webBikeWorld and MCN come to mind) on them saying they are great...based on what...nice little LEDs that flash back at you? It doesn't take much to suck the average consumer in.

On another forum, a vendor was pushing a charger (Save-A-Battery) as the last battery charger you will ever need. Well it might be if it were any good. Gold contacts...wow, like everybody needs those. It even did a "Load Test"...I knew better and it took ages to get a number out of the company. It did a load test of 20W...yep, less than 2 amps. Hell, my headlight will load test that battery better. A real load test is defined.

We should start a thread about all the effing BS on the net.

BTW, my coworker read the above comments and couldn't keep a straight face. We both work in a lab; power systems, chargers, batteries, etc.

Snake Oil Salesmen - Haven't changed in a Hundred years.

It never ceases to amaze me how few people actually go to the manufacturers websites and download the charging requirements or follow the recommendations.
    Odyssey would be a good example.
    Last edited by GSAddict; 08-07-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Problem Solved

As I Said in my first post, something was killing my battery. The mechanics at the BMW dealership told me to make sure that the charger
    I was using was suited to the battery. So by changing the battery charger I no longer have a problem.
    People will try to impress you with all kinds b.s. like charts and graphs most often to compensate for lack of real intelligence.
    Alternator out put and battery charger out put are not the same thing.
    Regardless of the numbers, the advice that I got works.

Quote Originally Posted by mickahill View Post
    Alternator out put and battery charger out put are not the same thing.
    Well they should be as far as voltage end points are concerned if the battery isn't to be over or under charged.

What charger (make and model) did you get that works with your battery?

What charger (make and model) did you have that killed your battery?

Yes, charts, graphs and facts intimidate those that really have no knowledge of things!

Quote Originally Posted by mickahill View Post
    After the third or fourth one I found out that the gel batteries get damaged by any charger that puts out more than 12 volts.
    I hope you know a 12V battery does not measure 12V or it would be about 60% discharged. They measure anywhere from 12.65 to 13.10V fully charged depending on battery chemistry. So your 12V charger will never get them to a full charge.

Battery

I don't know about the batteries you mentioned But! The new lightweight battery some of the dealers are selling is a POS, expensive and bad! It won't hold a charge. It goes dead very fast.
    It's one of those cutesy things we see and are dumb enough to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrab View Post
    Found the battery in my 2000 1100R to be dead this morning. Since it's the original battery and it did not hold the charge from a 300 mile trip last weekend it looks like time for a new one.

I'm looking at the following brands:
    Exide (the oem brand)
    Yuasa
    Westco
    Odyssey

Does anyone have a stong opinion of any of these? I want to get a sealed battery to avoid having to add water in the future, and several of these brands offer sealed/AGM/GEL batteries.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 92205 View Post
    I don't know about the batteries you mentioned But! The new lightweight battery some of the dealers are selling is a POS, expensive and bad! It won't hold a charge. It goes dead very fast.
    It's one of those cutesy things we see and are dumb enough to buy.
    got some factual backup on that comment?
    The only negatives I have heard on the new LiIon batts (Shorai, etc) are they're expensive, and can be slow cranking in real cold temps. Won't hold a charge and goes dead really fast sounds like a charging issue, not a battery problem.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    got some factual backup on that comment?
    The only negatives I have heard on the new LiIon batts (Shorai, etc) are they're expensive, and can be slow cranking in real cold temps. Won't hold a charge and goes dead really fast sounds like a charging issue, not a battery problem.
    +1.

I've had a Shorai in one of my bikes for 3 years. This particular bike gets ridden about once every 3 weeks and is not on a charger. So far, so good.

trying to charge a 12V battery with a charger that only puts out 12 volts is like trying to inflate a tire that has 35psi showing with a compressor putting out only 34psi you'll never get there.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)