Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery replacement

I ended up ordering the PC 680. I have one in my 81 R100RT and it is around 8 years old and been a great battery.

The UB12220 isnt really for vehicles from what I read. The previous owner put it in the bike 3 years ago.

Question 95' R1100R /ABS~ Which and Where?

Hi Guys,
    Like the title says, I own a 1995 BMW R1100R/ABS. I plan to ride it to the Nationals this year in Salem, OR..
    Which battery and where should I buy from? I was thinking 'Westco'. But, after reading about the Panasonic, I'm not sure what to invest in? I use a Deltran Battery Tender. Where is the best 'deal' to be had?
    Thanks in advance
    James

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Using google to search for any of the 3 or 4 battery names and part numbers mentioned in this thread will help you find the best deal today. Add the word "price" to your searches.
    Prices vary and lead has gone way up since this thread started years ago.

My personal choice for the oilhead is the Odyssey PC680. And I buy them here:

http://sepbatteries.com/pc680-odysse...FdIAQAodtmYK7A

$95 and free ground shipping in the USA.

Now you just have to wait for someone to find it cheaper.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTree View Post
    I've volunteered to be the "guinea pig" for using a Shorai (LFX21L6-BS12). I've noticed better starting, and no more ABS Low Battery Faults - even after repeated start attempts. It is an exact depth match to the 51319 spec (for depth), but does need a bit of padding on the bottom and side of the battery box to fill out the space and secure itself (no, I do not have pictures - I forgot to take them after getting the thing installed).

Yes, I know about the 'cold start' issues, but it really doesn't get that cold down here in Central Texas. I'll try the recommended battery warm up procedure and starting on the coldest day we have this winter.

As always, YMMV...
    I have one too. Bought the 12ah version for my Triumph Tiger but it had a defective board in it. They sent me a new 18ah, free including shipping both ways. Put it in the GS, had cold weather issues. They sent me the same 21ah that you have. Free again including shipping. Didn't see any improved starting at all, but then the stock started just fine. When it gets cold, you have to learn the drill because it will appear like your battery is near dead. Once it gets started everything is OK. Don't think I see any real advantage with it other than it is very light compared to any lead acid battery.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    I have one too. Bought the 12ah version for my Triumph Tiger but it had a defective board in it. They sent me a new 18ah, free including shipping both ways. Put it in the GS, had cold weather issues. They sent me the same 21ah that you have. Free again including shipping. Didn't see any improved starting at all, but then the stock started just fine. When it gets cold, you have to learn the drill because it will appear like your battery is near dead. Once it gets started everything is OK. Don't think I see any real advantage with it other than it is very light compared to any lead acid battery.
    We sold these types of batteries for a period of time but ended up with so many no starts we stopped handling them altogether. I have a feeling they need further development time.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post

We use Odysseys on most of our bikes ...that price is hard to beat delivered
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    I'm on my 2nd PC Odyssey & they've been great. 1st one was 5 years old & I proactively replaced it as I was taking 2 long trips. I use a battery tender in the winter.

Sent via mental telepathy.
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Quote Originally Posted by james1300 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Like the title says, I own a 1995 BMW R1100R/ABS. I plan to ride it to the Nationals this year in Salem, OR..
    Which battery and where should I buy from? I was thinking 'Westco'. But, after reading about the Panasonic, I'm not sure what to invest in? I use a Deltran Battery Tender. Where is the best 'deal' to be had?
    Thanks in advance
    James
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+battery+an...r+a+BMW+R1100R
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Anyone can do a SEARCH...

I am asking the members who have or who have owned this bike , "What do you recommend and, where did you get it"?

your question of "what battery?" is the probably the 3rd most common thread question on any m/c forum, surpassed only by "what oil?" and "what tires?" Search the forum, it's fast and easy. the only thing specific to your bike is "what fits?"... and that can be readily answered via the manufacturer's website.
    the "who has the best price?" can usually be answered effectively with a google search.

My recommendation (worth exactly what you're paying for it) is do your own research 1st, then ask for confirmation/rebuttal from the membership.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Thank you for the recommendation..

Using google to search for any of the 3 or 4 battery names and part numbers mentioned in this thread will help you find the best deal today. Add the word "price" to your searches.

I ordered a PC680, today

Quote Originally Posted by james1300 View Post
    I ordered a PC680, today
    great battery, good choice. under $100 is a great price, too.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    My last one was $109 delivered. They must have found more lead in the mine.

Seriously though, they do go up and down in price. And prices really vary. This spring I've seen them range from $95 at SEP to $165 at a rally.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Buyer Beware, SEP took my money and lost the order!

I ordered one on Friday June 21, 2013 at about 4:30 PM.

The money was debited from my Paypal account but no email from SEP (Stored Energy Products). I tried calling but there is no human to speak with. You are told to email or chat. I did both on Friday June 21, and 22, and 24. I still have no answers. If you order, and there are no glitches it is a nice deal. My bike is grounded now, until someone takes care of this.

BatteryMart.com has good phone support and sells the same item for $122. Amazon is at $118.

I asked SEP to just refund my money since they can't find my order. They just keep saying someone will get back to me.

I AM NOT CERTAIN THE DISCOUNT IS WORTH THE AGGRAVATION!
    Ale>< in Akron, OH and that picture is a girl with a cute smile

Battery Seller Issues

Just a couple additional thoughts about the Odyssey PC680. I spoke to the folks at http://www.odysseybattery.com/ which is the manufacturer's website. They suggested the PC680 without the metal jacket. I was told the metal jacket or box was to keep the battery cooler but was unneeded on my R1100RS. They also said that with each battery they ship is an adapter created and included just for BMW motorcycles. It is an "L" shaped bracket, but is removed by the folks at Batterymart.com and sold separately for about $6 plus shipping.

I read several bad reviews at Amazon about buying this battery, and then waiting for a second order with the adaptor and shipping fees to install. I suspect the Amazon buyers buying from Amazon received the adaptors with their battery. Other vendors selling through Amazon, may have pulled the adaptor out to sell separately. As far as SEP goes I think the adapter is included or someone would have posted a warning by now.
    Ale>< in Akron, OH and that picture is a girl with a cute smile