Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's probably been asked before, but what's the difference..

You're lucky as my '78 S had a rear disc.

My '78 was one of those made up without S fairing in anticipation of installation of Vetter or Luftmeister fairing and in my service booklet the dealer listed it as an ST. I fooled them, as I installed an S fairing and later an RS fairing.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by 106208 View Post
    Bought a R100/7 out of a garage. Think I have all the parts. Cylinder heads were removed along with mufflers. 43,000 on the odometer. True/false? Looks like a lot of leaking was going on but no wreck indication except small scratch on crash bar. Seat does not show a lot of wear. Luftmeister fairing some scratches but no evidence of cracks or breakage. I think the heads were pulled to maybe replace gaskets. Valves need cleaning, piston head needs cleaning. Cylinder heads smooth inside and rings feel sharp to the touch. My first BMW was a Daytona Orange 1976 R90S. Sold it when I got married. Don't have the bike or the wife Rats. Ennywho, The bug bit me so I am thinking rebuild. Is a total rebuild reasonable if I do the work myself? So far I see no broken big items, I just don't know why the Jugs were pulled. What are your thoughts? Been with MOA since 2003 and really don't know where else to go except AdvRider. Maybe just part it out? Please advise. Thank you.
    Rather than resurrecting a barely associated thread from 8 (!) years ago, it would have made more sense to just start a new thread on your particular question.
    Next time (maybe) you'll know better.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

help with a R100/7

So it seems that the bike is worth a rescue. I have the mechanical skills and with exception of the special stuff/tools most of the metric. Did a lot of work on my R1150GS without damage. Any direction toward a parts supplier. Seems to be quite a difference in prices. The gentleman that mentioned electronics are out of sight had it right. $390 for a wiring harness!!?? Paid less to wire my shop with MUCH bigger wires and breakers. Thanks to the gent who suggested I start a new thread. I appreciate all comments.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by darrylri View Post
    Darryl, your link is leading to a page not found.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 106208 View Post
    So it seems that the bike is worth a rescue. I have the mechanical skills and with exception of the special stuff/tools most of the metric. Did a lot of work on my R1150GS without damage. Any direction toward a parts supplier. Seems to be quite a difference in prices. The gentleman that mentioned electronics are out of sight had it right. $390 for a wiring harness!!?? Paid less to wire my shop with MUCH bigger wires and breakers. Thanks to the gent who suggested I start a new thread. I appreciate all comments.
    $390 might be quite the bargain. Not unusual to have wire harnesses well over $1k in the BMW world. I'm sure you'll enjoy working on your bike!!

Did you really wire your shop for less?

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Rather than resurrecting a barely associated thread from 8 (!) years ago, it would have made more sense to just start a new thread on your particular question.
    Next time (maybe) you'll know better.
    Agreed, but maybe in different words.

As the OP, I've learned a lot in 8 years.

Wiring Harness cost

Yep, Just thinking though I think the wire and breaker from the main panel cost about $65 more. All the work myself and passed the county inspection. Looks like $455 was closer to the actual cost. I think the bid was 1K.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Well bike harness wiring skills and 120VAC wiring are not exactly the same skills and absolutely not the same tool set but if you can read schematics (they are available) and you have a sample harness there you could theoretically make your own I suppose.

Unless the original one is really trashed repairing and updating might yield a better outcome.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT