Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2006 National in Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Belquar
    That was a good episode, but seeing the goo that comes out of the vats afterwards....

But hey....as long as the brew tastes good. Guess they aren't serving that goo.
    "That goo" is yeast and some assorted barley protein. It can go into making brewers yeast extract, bakers yeast, can be used as an additive in feed and for the Brits and Aussies, marmite/vegemite. It's high in protein and B vitamins.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Also the presence of that goo in homebrewed beer is why homebrew doesn't cause as bad a hangover as commercial brew. Good for ya!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by enjine
    Birkshire Brewing Company was a fav of mine went i went to school up in western mass. i'll have to see if i can find some jugs of that stuff while heading up to the rally!

i live in amherst (i'm assuming thats what you meant by "school up in western mass") and i currently have some steel rail in the fridge

best east coast beer in my opinion

Talking Ice Cream

Just saw a show on TV with a segment on Ben & Jerry's http://www.benjerry.com/our_company/about_us/tours/
    It's 25 miles away from the rally!
    http://www.benjerry.com/scoop_shops/factory_tour/
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 92k miles
    2013 TW200

Total Distance: 1406.7 Miles
    Estimated Total Time: 32 hours, 5 minutes

Myself and a Friend are travelling From St. John's NL. This will be our First Rally. We checked out Americade last year.....not much there for BMW'S. Really looking forward to the trip.

Amherst it was!

and i'd love a Bueno y Sano (sp?) right now!

I'll definitely have to pick up some BBC and share it with you BZ!
    Looking forward to it!

GPS Coordinates

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    Bingo. Garmin needs a decimal format.
    I looked at the address for the Vermont Rally and mapped it out in MapSource and noted the following GPS coordinates: N44 29.728 W73 07.343. These coordinates put you at the address listed below. The GPS coordinates listed in the following address puts you in the southern section of the Burlington Airport. Did anyone else get the same results or am I doing something wrong?

Champlain Valley Exposition Center
    105 Pearl Street (Route 15)
    Essex Junction, VT 05453
    GPS: 44?? 28'N, 73?? 9' W

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jjlawrence
    I looked at the address for the Vermont Rally and mapped it out in MapSource and noted the following GPS coordinates: N44 29.728 W73 07.343. These coordinates put you at the address listed below. The GPS coordinates listed in the following address puts you in the southern section of the Burlington Airport. Did anyone else get the same results or am I doing something wrong?

Champlain Valley Exposition Center
    105 Pearl Street (Route 15)
    Essex Junction, VT 05453
    GPS: 44?? 28'N, 73?? 9' W

Jim

Good, now I know I am NOT doing it wrong! Got the same thing-the airport.

Bristol, Vermont - Gateway to The Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by jjlawrence
    These coordinates put you at the address listed below. The GPS coordinates listed in the following address puts you in the southern section of the Burlington Airport.

If you follow your GPS to the site it will probably take you through downtown Burlington and every construction zone in the area. Not where you'll want to be on a hot summer day. We'll post good directions for you at later times as we know where the zones will be.

Garmin MapSource

Why don't you use manual routing to fine tune how you want to get there. Auto routing may not necessarily be scenic or preferred.

I am creating draft routes in Microsoft Streets & Trips, because it's easy to drag a point and put it on a different street, and it recalculates. Once I'm done finalizing couple of routes, then I'll do them in MapSource. Too bad MapSource doesn't allow you to do drag-and-drop like MS Streets & TRips.

Today, I looked up Canada Trans-Hwy (RT 17) from Sault Ste. Marie to Ottawa close up using Google Earth, and it's not bad. But some one posted that it's a pain to take 17. I know a friend, who's a trucker, he said 17 is pretty much a single lane, but once in a while it'll have more and then resume to be single. He said it is pretty, but can get slow.

I think, I'm very excited about taking the Canadian route. I'm in Chicago area, and most likely make a stop over in Sudbury.

Has anyone worked out their route plans yet? I'm nervous about the Ogdensburg bridge ... long, high, grated and wind. Are the winds strong? Can you fall off the bike. How many lanes are their? I checked, and found it to be about 1.5 miles long above water then about 1 mile each side above the ground. I take it that this'll be a one-in-life-time experience, so I'm interested, but then I'm also nervous.

Satelite reception

Does anyone know the quality of GPS satelite reception when travelling on Trans. Canada Hwy (RT17) from Sault Ste. Marie (in fact even Northern Wisconsin) through - Sudbury, Northbay, going towards Ottawa?

I've got 2610 without any additional antenna.

Can't Grow It?? Mow it!! bullit7801's Avatar
    Lincoln, NE; Flat, Boring & Windy Great Plains
    Hey Montauk,

Since the 24 GPS satelites revolve around the earth, covering the entire surface, your reception should be the same anywhere on the surface, in theory. If you are in a city with tall buildings, you will lose signal on many satelites, since you will only be able to "see" straight up. Canyons can cause the same problem, as can heavily forested areas. Last summer I lost signal in the redwoods.

If the trees don't hang over the road, I wouldn't think you would have any problem with the built-in antenna. I have always gotten good signal with my GPS III+ on northern Wisconsin roads thru the forests. Paved US & State hwy roads, not the logging roads. Never tried those with the GPS.

Hope this helps.

tb
    Tom "Bullit" Buttars
    Ambassador
    1978 R100RS, 2006 F650GS, 2007 F800S

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Vt 06

Quote Originally Posted by Montauk
    Does anyone know the quality of GPS satelite reception when travelling on Trans. Canada Hwy (RT17) from Sault Ste. Marie (in fact even Northern Wisconsin) through - Sudbury, Northbay, going towards Ottawa?

I've got 2610 without any additional antenna.

The GPS reception in Canada is acceptable, but you have to convert all lattitude and longitude readings into the metric system.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Tom:

Thanks. After reading your note on satellite, it dawned upon me, that it's the tall buildings, and open space should have no problem. Thanks, for the info. You just saved me some money

Friedle:

Why do I have to convert longitude and lattitude reading in metric? Aren't they the same, except some will take degrees/minutes/seconds, or decimal's, or +/- instead of N/W. The numbers should be the same.

But then again, once I plan out a route in my Garmin unit through MapSource, I should be good to go. I shouldn't have to reconfigure my unit to use format that is different from what I have while in the USA. Unless there's a catch here that I didn't get it.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Montauk
    Friedle:

Why do I have to convert longitude and lattitude reading in metric?
    Friedle is funning you...
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride