Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by andy45320
    On a related topic...do many of you folks carry tripods?
    I carry a Cullmann Magic 2 tripod. Not the highest quality tripod but reasonably stable and expands to a reasonable height. And best of all, folded down, it fits into a System Case.

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

guess most will work....standard 3/8" screw hole on bottom
    Standard tripod thread is 1/4-20, which is also a common screw size at Home Depot. Useful info if you should ever lose the mounting screw.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

CustomSarge

Talking Don't Panic... where's your towel.....

I've gone 10+k miles with the DCam (Fuji FinePix 4900) and the VCam (Sony H8 camcorder) in the top case of my LTX without issue. I wrap them in: each a hand towel, both in my rain suit. If I need the rain suit, I grab clothes & rebuffer them. Ease of access & minimized vibration, but I'll yield that 10k is a pittance. I run the small (21L?) top case. <<<)))

Quote Originally Posted by Visian
    Andy - about 10 years ago, I found this little tripod sitting in the dirt at a motocross race:

This thing is one of the most useful accessories I've ever had. It is really small, so you can always have it handy.

You can set it on nearly anything and easily level it up.

You can bend it around railings, tree limbs, etc.

The only thing it doesn't have is extendible legs and I can't think of a time I have ever needed those.

Ian
    I want one. Before I start digging in the dirt, any idea who makes it or where to find it?

Original 1973 LWB R75/5 TheSlashFiveTourer's Avatar

Tripods revisited. . .

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY45320
    . . .do many of you folks carry tripods? You know those very small compact ones, if so what brand/cost? I was looking around for one so I can take cool token bike posses on my solo rides that will fit my Nikon Coolpix S1. . .
    Andy - about 10 years ago, I found this little tripod sitting in the dirt at a motocross race:

This thing is one of the most useful accessories I've ever had. It is really small, so you can always have it handy.

You can bend it around railings, tree limbs, etc. . . Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by knary
    I want one. Before I start digging in the dirt, any idea who makes it or where to find it?
    This might be your guy, the Ambico V-6016 flexible mini - cheap price too!

Another neat item is this one . You got a water bottle or a pop bottle, switch to this cap and you got an immediate tabletop camera support. Might be a neat little gadget to have in the Beer Tent for taking those incriminating group photos we all love to see here on The Forum weeks after the event!

Good luck!
    Last edited by SlashFiveTourer; 09-24-2005 at 06:56 AM.
    ~ ~ ~ /5 Express
    Have Train? - Will Travel!

rocketman

You can bend it around railings, tree limbs, etc.

The only thing it doesn't have is extendible legs and I can't think of a time I have ever needed those.

Ian
    I got one of those too, works great for my point 'n shoot type cameras but not with my D70 not nearly sturdy enough.
    As for carrying my D70 I got a nice padded tank bag that straps and is magnetic with a lower and upper bag unit. I pad the lower part then put my D70 in the top part. that way it is easy to get to while on the road plus i can remove the upper bag when i leave the bike as I would not leave that much equipment when I can't see the bike. Mine is a Joe Rocket 2 piece that I got for around 100 clams. I used some velcro dividers from one of my camera bags to make some compartments for camera and lens so they don't move around and other stuff in there doesn't bang against the camera. Works great.

RM

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort

Tankbag

I carry my camera in the tank bag for the simple reason that I'll use it more if it's handy.
    That said, my Nikon D100s stay home because I don't want to subject a high-end digital SLR to the dust and vibration of motorcycle travel. I bite the bullet, buy a bunch of film, and pack the F5 with a 28-300mm Tamron lens for bike trips. It kills me to have to pay for film and processing and then have to scan the negs, but I use the D100s for my work and don't want to beat them up. The F5 is nearly bulletproof.

I do not think that my equipment is as sophisticated as the cameras used by several of you, although I have a Sony Cybershot and it goes in a Ziploc bag and into the rear right pocket of my Rallye2 jacket and that way I can get to it but it is kept waterproof for those showers. The main advantage though is that it is a small camera that takes big pics.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman
    I got one of those too, works great for my point 'n shoot type cameras but not with my D70 not nearly sturdy enough.
    Yer right on that one. I tried it with my Nikon film camera and it doesn't work too great. You can get it to work if you position the legs just right, but the weight of most lenses reduces the usefullness of this little tripod quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by indyGT
    ... my Nikon D100s stay home because I don't want to subject a high-end digital SLR to the dust and vibration of motorcycle travel. I bite the bullet, buy a bunch of film, and pack the F5 with a 28-300mm Tamron lens for bike trips. It kills me to have to pay for film and processing and then have to scan the negs,...
    Indy - ask to have a photoCD pulled when you get your film developed. It's usually only about $12 and some film places will not charge you if you ask for the CD instead of the prints. Most places use an optical scanner that's better than most consumer units on the market, and the scans res up really high if you use PhotoShop.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

1024JLC

My solution of how to carry my Digital SLR

In looking for a solution on how to carry my digital SLR, I took into consideration:
    1) How to isolate the camera and lenses from shock and vibration
    2) How to carry the the camera/bag in a secure manner
    3) How maintain good access to the camera and lenses

Since I almost always travel one-up, and have a nice wide passenger seat that is not being used, this is what I came up with to solve my problem.

I bought some cellular (ajustable) foam from Pelican (i.e.: waterproof camera cases) and customized it to fit my Cortech tail bag. Works like a charm.

1024JLC
    Cortech Bag

1024JLC
    Interior

1024JLC
    Camera gear removed showing cut-outs

1024JLC
    Cut-outs and foam padding for base

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

I have used this model of Lowepro with great success. The sling allows easy movement around to the front and easy
    retrieval of camera and other gear without getting off the bike.

The website says:

Carried comfortably on the back, it easily rotates to the front so you can get to your camera quickly. The SlingShot 200 AW holds an SLR with mid-range zoom lens attached 3-4 extra lenses, cables and accessories and has a full access lid to make loading it a snap. This feature-rich bag also includes a built-in memory card pouch, micro fiber LCD cloth and two generous organizer pockets.
    I have found there prose to be right on target.