Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Carrying Cameras

my ex Leica

All I know is there are pieces of Leica scattered all over US75 in north Dallas, along with several bottles of water, a towel and the remains of a 22L topcase.

I once again carry only what will fit in a jacket pocket.
    Paul

RK Ryder
    Two summers ago on my 10,000 km ride, I kept my Canon 20D and a moderate telephoto lens in the a small backpack camera bag in my top box. Last summer, on a 13,000 km ride last summer, I kept my 20D in a smaller camera bag in the top case, with no additional lens, and a small Canon A540 in my chest left pocket. I used the small pocket camera more frequently than the SLR.

As much as I prefer the results of the SLR, I find that it takes up too much space. The last few trips of last summer were taken only with the small Canon A540 as I only require the images to be enlarged to 16x20. As an aside, the D20 survived in the Givi 50L top case, even with one tip over.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    As much as I prefer the results of the SLR, I find that it takes up too much space. The last few trips of last summer were taken only with the small Canon A540 as I only require the images to be enlarged to 16x20. As an aside, the D20 survived in the Givi 50L top case, even with one tip over.
    I'm coming around to this conclusion myself.

The DSLR and bagful of lenses are used when I'm heading out to take photographs. I can carry my Canon 40D, six lenses, two flashes, a lightmeter, and miscellaneous accessories in a big that fits as though it's tailor-made for my GSA side case. I do worry about the vibration, but so far so good. However, on a long trip, I simply can't afford that space for camera gear.

When I'm going for a ride, I take along a compact camera. There are dozens of really good, very inexpensive choices. I just invested in a G9, which is great, but is by no means the only good choice out there.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpaul View Post
    All I know is there are pieces of Leica scattered all over US75 in north Dallas. . . .
    Ouch.

carrying cameras

I like carrying my D 40 in a Lowe case in the right System case, which is my "road bag" i.e. it affords a safer place to stand while opening it. I like carrying expensive stuff down low.

My point and shoot goes in the tank bag, and is also in a padded Lowe case.

I think if you're going to carry expensive cameras on a bike, you've got to be prepared to replace them if you crash. And in any event, if that happens, there will probably be more serious issues to deal with than camera replacement.

My old film Nikon SLR's were pretty tough; I've fallen on them while cross country skiing and they were unaffected. But I assume the digital versions are pretty fragile.

Rinty

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    My old film Nikon SLR's were pretty tough; I've fallen on them while cross country skiing and they were unaffected. But I assume the digital versions are pretty fragile. Rinty
    Well besides a tip over last summer, I did a low side on gravel at about 30 mph in Colorado, with the 20D in a small camera bag in the Givi top case. Even though I have another 20D, I used the trip 20D and shot three weddings and a fashion show after the low side with no ill effects on exposures.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    My old film Nikon SLR's were pretty tough...
    remember the old nikon F ad where the photographer smuggled his nikon into a country by putting into a bucket of water?

i'm thinkin' that won't work with a digital.....

i've been thinking about one of these sling packs:

... it would work well for rapid access, not so well for crash protection.

good think i never crash.

I have a more global view. In addition to the bike, I want a bag that will be good when I want to hike in a mile or so, to photograph some birds.

I use the Tamrac Adventure and I have an exterior pouch for my circular polarizers that has stayed on during triple digit long tours.

Here's mine Forgive the brown taped tarp - someone stole my gear bag from a laundermat. good thing I had a tent tarp.

Rags
    04 R1150RS, 07 HD XR883R
    IBA #17225

Tankbag

My XT has over 25K miloes on 3 continents, all in tankbags. I keep it in an Aerostich fleece bag which helps damp out vibrations yet makes it easily accesible. If I'm caryying other lenses they usually go in the right side bag.

I don't use the tailbag for two reasons, first it's hard to get at and as others have said they can come off (my 1200GS bag has the dreaded crack now).

I also usually take a small P&S as well, also in the tankbag. If the weather is bad, or I don't want to carry the SLR, I grab the little one. In the past I usaed an S70 as it took the same memory cards and battery as the XT, reducing the amount of stuff to carry. Now I'm using an S80, same battery but it uses SD. Of coure if I upgrade to the Canon, it's SD too, but then the battery won't match. Ah well.

Someone mentioned tripods. I have several, a couple of Cullmans, a SLIK tabletop, a $4 Wal-Mart super-mini that I use with the S80 sometimes. But for light bike travel I use the Ultra-Pod. I have the little U-PI and the larger U-PII. The Ulta-Pod II will handle the XT with and any of my lenses, it weighs only four ounces and the velcro strap attachment allows me to use the bike itself or nearly objects as tripod mounts. Very handy and quick to deploy.

http://www.pedcopods.com/products.htm

alan.

Airhead GS convert...
    Late to the party, but here's what I use / carry, and where, on a bike trip.

Gear (Rolleiflex TLR and a 35mm Widelux pano) go into a Lowe camera bag, which then goes into a Marsee tankbag. The tank on my R100gs is pretty smooth, rubber-mountend and all that. Stuff in there is easy to get to, and pretty well protected in a crash.

I usually carry a tripod on bike trips, too. Whether it's big or small depends on how heavily packed I am. Solo, I'll take a full-size Slik tripod (with a joystick-type ballhead and quick-release), in its own bag, lashed onto the rear somewhere. Two-up, much more likely to take a small Fotomat tripod I bought prolly 25 years ago. Collapsed, it's about 3"-4" diameter and about a foot long.

Another option is a small bean-bag with a tripod screw mounted in it. The beans are plastic pellets, and it's shaped roughly like a hockey puck. It's a little slick, so I added some tacky plastic sheet to the bottom, like what you might put on your car's dashboard under a PDA or cellphone. Below is a link to the item:

http://www.amazon.com/POD-Camera-Pla...d_bxgy_p_img_b

The Amazon reviews point out that with an SLR, it may not work well, due to long lens and CoG. But with the squat cameras I have, it works OK in certain situations. Tripod is better, though.
    Last edited by DougGrosjean; 02-24-2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added "Pod"info...
    Best,
    Doug Grosjean
    Pemberville, Ohio
    douggrosjean@gmail.com

Author of "Wheels"
    http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore...kid~32002.aspx

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by torags View Post
    I have a more global view. In addition to the bike, I want a bag that will be good when I want to hike in a mile or so, to photograph some birds.

I use the Tamrac Adventure and I have an exterior pouch for my circular polarizers that has stayed on during triple digit long tours.

Here's mine Forgive the brown taped tarp - someone stole my gear bag from a laundermat. good thing I had a tent tarp.

Thats pretty much how my setup is for the Airhead since I have two part tankbag with big magnets on the side and it has a strap that goes around the steering stem so it can't fall off. I put a towel in the bottom of the bag covered by a sheet of plastic so water can't soak in from the bottom if its raining. I took the velcro dividers from an old camera bag and got some sticky-back velrco strips attached inside the bag to make compartments to hold slr with 50mm lens and two more for the other two lens. Plus the two-part bag has shoulder straps on the upper bag part so I can remove it and carry it with me as a small back pack. Nice arrangement.

On the LT I have to settle for the regular camera bag in the trunk, padded with a towel since the tankbag won't work on the plastic $%^&@# tupperware. Or now with the G9 I may just leave the slr at home for day rides unless I know I'm going places where I can park my highway pig comfortably to get to the slr. The G9 rides in the little tank bag up front for shots where I can't get off the bike which is fairly often since I mostly wonder 2-lane back roads with little or no shoulder.

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I keep/store my digital SLR and lenses in a Lowe/Pelican combo that is completely bomb-proof. I've taken my gear on two separate three-week trips down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. If a bag and hard case can protect sensitive camera gear from the water, sand, and grit of a long river trip, it can withstand motorcycle trips. http://products.lowepro.com/product/...eme,1985,9.htm

Unfortunately, my Pelican is too large to fit in a side case on my RT. So the camera goes into my Big Mak tank bag. Then it's always right in front of me should I come upon a subject that must be photographed immediately. If it's going to rain, I throw in a gallon "Ziplock" type freezer bag to keep the camera dry should the rain soak through the fabric of the tank bag.

Some day I'll fabricate a mount for the top of my radio box that will accommodate the Pelican case, but until then, the tank bag works just fine.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    remember the old nikon F ad where the photographer smuggled his nikon into a country by putting into a bucket of water?

i'm thinkin' that won't work with a digital.....

i've been thinking about one of these sling packs:

... it would work well for rapid access, not so well for crash protection.

good think i never crash.
    I have one of these and really like it. Easy access when on the bike and I don't have to dedicate my tank bag to camera storage. There is a secondary strap that creates a "Y" harness in the front and the pack stays planted on your back. And, the bag comes with a built in rain cover.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS