Page 47 of 158 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 147 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of your oilhead

Loneliest Highway?

Highway 50 the LONELIEST? I'm originally from Fallon, and drove this highway quite a bit. If you really want lonely try the route from Tonopah to Alamo. When I went through there in May I counted exactly 17 vehicles in 162 miles. And 5 of those were horse trailers being towed by pickup trucks...!

BJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BILLJOHNSTON View Post
    Highway 50 the LONELIEST? I'm originally from Fallon, and drove this highway quite a bit. If you really want lonely try the route from Tonopah to Alamo. When I went through there in May I counted exactly 17 vehicles in 162 miles. And 5 of those were horse trailers being towed by pickup trucks...!

BJ
    By the looks of the stop sign , it may not be a good road at night , when the cowboys have nothing to do!

Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

There's a LOT of "dead" stop signs in Nevada!

Though the biggest hazard at night is those damn black cows that like to lay on the road to get a little warmth at 2AM. That has a very high pucker factor! And there's quite a few more of them range beasties than cowpokes....

BJ

Shoe Tree

" . . and one great nowhere-else-to-be-found SHOE TREE"

I was thinking there should have been a picture to accompany that statement, so I went looking. I found lots of pictures, but I didn't have the "rights" to download a decent one. Here is a link to a good one:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...11501644XnQTkm

But, "nowhere else to be found?" -- not really. Apparently this is a little-known roadside tradition in some parts of the country:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/shoetrees.html

I have only seen one or two pair of gym sneakers hanging on a wire, usually down the street from a high school! Who knew?!!
    Ray King
    R1200C; R1200RT
    MOA, RA, IBA, AMA
    Jacksonville, FL

Bluefish1

Shoe Tree

I just happen to have a couple that I took. Notice in the second photo, the pair of deer legs!!!

Bluefish1

Shoe Tree

Finally got this one sized down to download.

Ursala by Cobra Hall

Well, lets try this site out. It looks similar to kiowapilots.com so I should be able to upload some pictures and witty commentaries. Here's a picture of my new bike, "Ursala" parked at work near the Cobra that rests peacefully as a static display at "Cobra Hall" at Hanchey Army heliport.

Wow nice bike Reece , and welcome. We are glad to have you and hope you enjoy it here!

Mike
    Mike & Robin Fifer http://www.n-scale-model-trains.com/ 2002 R1150RT Current
    1995 K75S Sold
    1996 R1100RT sold

Re: Ursala

Nice bike, Reece. Welcome. I also have an '05--purchased used earlier this year--but I am not familiar with all the colors offered that year. Is that black or dark blue? Hard to tell from the photo.

Now that you are an "expert" at posting photos on this site, you could also post a pic in "Post a picture of your hexhead," LOL! Although the R1200 is an oilhead, for sure, all of the R1200's--except for the C and CLC--are known as "hexheads" due to the shape of the valve covers. I did the same thing when I got my RT, so you will find pics of it in both threads.

Enjoy that bike! Although not quite as thrilling as flying a Cobra, you will find the fuel burn per hour a lot more affordable! I can ride one of my bikes all weekend long for what it used to cost me to fly my Cherokee (now sold) for an hour!
    Ray King
    R1200C; R1200RT
    MOA, RA, IBA, AMA
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by mfifer View Post
    Wow nice bike Reece , and welcome. We are glad to have you and hope you enjoy it here!

Mike
    Thank you kind sir, Here's another picture of me changing the oil on Ursala, part of my progression from my trainer, Bill Maxwell also a BMW owner and lifetime BMW MOA member.
    So are you all ready for this story? So I've always wanted to ride motorcycles, but the Army has an effective way of preventing it's soldiers from riding, mostly with deployments, so I had to wait till I was ready to get out in order to ride. So after doing lots of research on the internet, I settled for BMW's as I couldn't see myself on a Harley or crotch rocket. If I were ever going to ride it was going to be an enduro or a cruiser, but I didn't really care much for the Winabego's on 2 wheels that is the Honda Gold Wing.
    So after watching the BMW Trip through Norway 8 minute promo I knew without a doubt what my motorcycle was going to be. Turns out I see one parked in a parking lot on Schofield Barracks HI. So one day, as I'm clearing the Army just on a whim I walk into the office building where it's parked by, (the Provost Marshal office where all the MP's hang out) and I ask, who owns the BMW parked outside... "Oh, that's Bill Maxwell's Bike, he works upstairs." So I saunter upstairs find his office meet Bill. Turns out he's the head MSF BRC ARC coach for Schofield Barracks HI, also the GS-12 overall in charge of Safety on Schofield Barracks. So we chat for over an hour, and as I look around his office, I see a lot of Air Force pictures/plaques, etc. and ask him, "So, what did you do in the Air Force?" "Well, I came in the Air Force back in '79 as a missile tech..." "Really, where did you do your tech school." "Oh, some out of the way Air Force base, it's closed now, Rantoul, IL placed called Chanute Air Force Base." "Really. Did you have an instructor named Liz Mullins?" "No, that name doesn't ring a bell." "Well how bout an STA (Student Training Advisor) named Roger Mullins?" "Yeah, now that does sound familiar. Did he have a burnt orange silver wing that he used to drive to work?" "Yes, as a mater of fact he did, that was my dad." Bill, "Yeah, that was an amazing bike. I loved the way it sounded, it was a nice bike, it was the bike that inspired me to really get into riding, and eventually BMW's." "So, you want to go check out the bike?" Sure, I mean, what's the chance that we can find a connection almost 30 years in separation half a world away?"
    So we go down to the parking lot, check out the bike, he let's me sit on it, turns it on, shows me the controls and all the features, and of course I'm totally blown away, like a kid in a candy store, and than he says, "and I'm thinking about selling it and upgrading to a new BMW." I tell him that I'm not in the market for a bike yet, as I've already had my transportation appointment and I'm short final from the Army, squaring up loose ends, sound inviting but too much too quick. Well, on further review, after thinking about it for 24 hours, and contacting by best friend who also rides motorcycles, she said go for it, you'll never get an opportunity like this again. So with much wrangling and massaging of my transportation appointment I was able to ship "Ursala" with my house hold goods, and scheduled the shipment so I would be able to complete and intense one-on-one training second to none. So there's plenty more to the story I'm sure, just can't bore you all with it here. I look forward to all the posting and viewing all the wonderful posts and pictures of beautiful BMW motorcycles.
    cheers
    reece mullins

Cobras

Thanks for the info on hex heads Ray. I'll just call her a boxer, sounds mean, a german woman named Ursala that's a boxer, my kinda lady.
    Yeah, I haven't flown Cobras since '95 when the Army turned em all in for 58D's, which is what I've flown since '96. The Army still calls it Cobra Hall, and we still have the static display from when I went back through flight school in '93, which, of course is appropriate. Thankfully the Army still has some respect for history and tradition. 58D's get better gas milage than the Cobra, but hey, I'm not paying for it. Look forward to all my new friends on BMW MOA forums. Oh, yeah, best I can tell, she's a "charcoal gray" that's what I put on the registration anyways.

Naked Baby !!!

My R1150R, before the weather got cooler, and before she got her OEM Highway Windsheild.
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    '04 R1150RT - New Life in Upstate N.Y.
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

Missouri Fall Ride

Passing through Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri.
    92 K75s (never sell), 97 F650st (sold), 04 R1100s (now owned by a deer), and about 10 others

FABIOX

My second BMW.....this is crack addiction

This is the picture from the dealer, the bike still the same but not for longer.
    2002 R1150 GS with 17.000 miles for U$7700
    I just upgrade the Paralever bushing JL kit
    Last edited by fabiox; 10-22-2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: missing few words

SCOTTGLOVER

Pic of my OilHead

My personal transportation device.