Thread: Tire Valve Stems

Tire Valve Stems

Are the Tire valve stems on my 99 RT the same as on automobile tires? Can I replace with one from an auto shop?

Yup, exactly the same

Ttire valve stems

Any trick to installing the new ones?

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Lube it and pull in a rocking motion.

Be careful of cheap ones, I think it was P Glaves who sounded an alarm on catastrophic failure fon the metal popping out of the rubber. Near blow out speed for loss of pressure.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    The problem is these days all you can find are "cheap" ones. They are mostly made in China now and if you don't have a whole box of them you don't know where they come from.

I had one come apart on me at speed down in California a couple years ago. Kinda hairy for sure. Glad it was the back wheel and the 1100RT has a fairly wide back tire with a low profile. I carry a spare tire valve all the time now since it was hard to find one that day...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    The problem is these days all you can find are "cheap" ones. They are mostly made in China now and if you don't have a whole box of them you don't know where they come from.

I had one come apart on me at speed down in California a couple years ago. Kinda hairy for sure. Glad it was the back wheel and the 1100RT has a fairly wide back tire with a low profile. I carry a spare tire valve all the time now since it was hard to find one that day...
    I had one blow off as I was filling the tire. the stem was less than 1 year old.
    tire guy said that was typical of the quality control from China. Hit and miss.
    I replaced both shortly after with short metal ones.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

You'll have trouble finding stems as short as the originals at a flaps.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You'll have trouble finding stems as short as the originals at a flaps.
    True that. I've never seen ones as short as OEM stems for my RT. I see MaxBMW sells them for $5.46 each. Part number 36 31 7 653 064. The local automotive joint sells a package of two from China for about the same price but as I said, I've had an offshore stem come apart on me
    so I think I'll get mine from BMW this time.

I wonder where BMW OEM stems are made?
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Lube it and pull in a rocking motion.

Be careful of cheap ones, I think it was P Glaves who sounded an alarm on catastrophic failure fon the metal popping out of the rubber. Near blow out speed for loss of pressure.

Well that explains a lot.......my bride and I had our rear tire go flat on us while travelling at 60mph on the 271 south of Cleveland on our return trip after travelling west. We were really fortunate that we were able to slow down enough before the front tire of the bike caught the soft shoulder. So glad it was a soft shoulder as well. We speed wobbled to an abrupt stop with the bike laying atop of us. No broken bones.....after being checked out at the Hospital we were able to limp away with just bad sprains and strained ligaments in our left legs. The bike only incurred some minor scratches on the bottom of the left side fairing and a scuffed saddlebag......amazing.
    The trailer in tow suffered much more cosmetic damage as it flipped on its side.....but.....after a new rear tire was installed by Cleveland BMW we were able to make the final miles to home. Can't say enough good things about the people in this establishment. The mechanic who installed the new rear tire informed me that when he took the plastic cap off of the valve stem.....the schrader valve was popped off of its threads....causing the rapid loss of air pressure. The tire carcass had no holes.
    This mishap also reinforces my belief in ATGATT. The first picture below shows where the bike came to rest. Photos courtesy of the local law enforcement agency.

1_10_b.jpg

1_1_b.jpg
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45