Thread: Canister on 2003 R1150R?

Canister on 2003 R1150R?

My bike has a black canister mounted on the right rear side of the frame. What is it some sort of filter as it has what seems to be a breather hose going into an back out of it?
    Also if a filter when if ever does it have to be changed?

It's the evaporative emissions canister, part of the pollution controls on the bike. The overflow tubes on the gas tank go to there so that gas fumes don't escape into the atmosphere. They, supposedly, never need servicing but, if you overfill your gas tank too often the canister will fill with fuel (that's where the overflow goes), and block the venting to your gas tank. That might cause your bike to stop running, or run poorly.
    Old timers usually remove them and just vent to the air like in the old days. Of course if you overfill your tank it will then drain onto the ground. DAMHIK
    Depending on the state inspection process in the state where you live removing them may prevent your bike from passing inspection. Fortunately, not where I live, yet.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Good as I've read here that some have removed them. Wanted to make sure it would not affect the performance of the bike. Figure I'll keep it handy as I can always put it back on. Should clean up the looks of the back side nicely.
    By the way when did they start this canister thing and do they still use it? Basically from what year to what year? Thanks!!

Be aware that there's more to it than just removing the canister. Here's a video showing the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H907BjGC0Pc

Warning...adult language...
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

my canister rusted out. The carbon inside had broken up into powder that clogged the purge hose to the throttle bodies. It had not functioned in some time. However, the fuel tank always vented well. That hose is clear.

IMHO it is not a good design, and doing away with it is a good idea.

Rod

Wow just watched the video! I'm riding to work today but guess what I'm doing when I get home? Yep, getting that thing out of there. Thanks as I see by the vid there's a little more to it.

Canister is no more. Pretty easy even for me. Did notice the larger hose going to vacuum on my bike was on the right but in video was on left side. Probably different year bikes.