Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clutch repair price

Clutch repair price

I inquired at a local shop( not a dealer)as to how much it would cost to repair my clutch on my 2003 R1150R (rebuild with the necessary replacement parts). The quote between $1100-1200. I don't know but that seems a little high to me? I'll call the dealer (who I'm sure have a lot more experience in clutch jobs) and see what their price is, unless someone here can give me a ballpark price here.
    The plan is to get it done, possibly after I get my 1200GS and maybe my son and I will attempt it ourselves.
    Maybe if I sink 25k in a new GS they'll give me a deal on the clutch?

All though $1200 seems high I priced a new Shoei helmet at $500-700 and that's just for a helmet!

Quote Originally Posted by daven81gs View Post
    I inquired at a local shop( not a dealer)as to how much it would cost to repair my clutch on my 2003 R1150R (rebuild with the necessary replacement parts). The quote between $1100-1200. I don't know but that seems a little high to me? I'll call the dealer (who I'm sure have a lot more experience in clutch jobs) and see what their price is, unless someone here can give me a ballpark price here.
    The plan is to get it done, possibly after I get my 1200GS and maybe my son and I will attempt it ourselves.
    Maybe if I sink 25k in a new GS they'll give me a deal on the clutch?

All though $1200 seems high I priced a new Shoei helmet at $500-700 and that's just for a helmet!
    Min 10 hrs and up to 14 plus parts which may include an input shaft if worn...
    $1200 is the low side IMO.

I have done a few.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Did this over the winter on my R1100RT. The quote seems cheap.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

The quote does seem low. If that shop checks out, and there's no hidden cost claimed later, jump on it.

Now, for a high side example, I have in my possession the bill and the paid receipt for a clutch job on a 2004 RT-P performed by one of California's prominent BMW dealers for a California police department
    ....drum roll please..... $4,100.

JohnWC
    [QUOTE=Now, for a high side example, I have in my possession the bill and the paid receipt for a clutch job on a 2004 RT-P performed by one of California's prominent BMW dealers for a California police department
    ....drum roll please..... $4,100.[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable. Was the bike worth that much?

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    Unbelievable. Was the bike worth that much?
    Probably. This was 3 years ago, low mileage, so probably worth $6,000

I'm not accusing anyone of inflating a bill or taking a kickback, but it was a government agency......

Thanks guys. I called the closest BMW dealer and the out the door price will be $2200. He assured me it would be done in two days and the price includes a lot of replacing seals and main seal and anything else that they do while they are in there and a 2 year parts and labor warranty. I'm hoping they don't find other stuff like worn shafts and cogs and du hickeys that run the bill to the moon and back?
    I'm going to ride it as long as I can and then drop it off and ride my new BMW back, at least that's plan A. May cause me to opt for a non top of the pile GS or maybe a R nine T or Ducati monster but sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles.

You don't say what is wrong with the clutch.

Normal wear, you get at the minimum the three main clutch parts plus 6 (minimum) hours labor. The dealer probably put a lot more in there - good stuff to do - like the spring, slave cylinder and some seals. If you have spline wear, then the cost jumps a lot because you have a transmission repair also.

Comparing the independent shop's quote with the dealer or anyone else is kind of meaningless unless we know what is being quoted.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Yeah sorry on another thread mentioned the problem. With 26k miles my clutch looses the power to the rear wheel when I goose the throttle( like when you need to get around a truck quickly)Runs fine when running around at normal to moderate pace. Will also run to 80mph as long as I bring it up gradually.
    Pulling away is the same but if I goose it it will jump the revs. No wheelies or burn outs for me not that that was ever my intention.
    As you said I hope they don't find other connected problems as the $2200 almost erases the great deal I got on the bike. Too much more and it won't seem to have been a good deal after all.

Looks like I'll be going with the local shop at $1200. They assure me they will do it right and match the warranty on parts and labor. He asked at the end of our conversation how much they would do it for and I got one of those laughs you get when someone knew what I was going to say. I said "do you want to reconsider your price" and he said his quote was the price.
    Oddly enough I'm reconsidering my plan to get a new GS. I really like this R and once I get it sorted well it's just a blast to ride.

GSAddict: I guess the low price is relative to my location here in Florida? When I asked him how much on Thursday or Friday he got back with me Tuesday so I'm sure he did his research on parts and labor. He's been in business for over 30 years as I've been getting my tires from him off and on for that long. Wish me luck!

With only 25,000 miles I seriously doubt the slipping clutch is due to a worn out clutch disc. I'd be more suspicious of contamination from a failing slave cylinder or leaky transmission seal.
    2004 R 1150 GS

I haven't pulled the starter and checked that as I'm not a mechanic but I'll let the shop know of that possibility and maybe before they order the parts they should check that? I still think to replace the slave cylinder they have to split the bike which is what puts the price up(time =labor= $$$) and if it's only the slave it may be worth it to just make everything new as they will already be in there?
    Also I don't know what parts they are using or what ones I should get. I know some will go with a more heavy duty or performance clutch when it's time to replace...any thoughts on that?

If it is the slave cylinder the fluid has run up the pushrod and contaminated the clutch disc, hence the slipping. The disc would need to be replaced. If it does turn out to be your slave cylinder make sure they replace the seal that is directly in front of the slave cylinder.
    2004 R 1150 GS

I would say that is a low price.
    Hopefully, the guy knows what he's getting into. Maybe he just wants to get some experience doing it.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    I would say that is a low price.
    Hopefully, the guy knows what he's getting into. Maybe he just wants to get some experience doing it.
    dc
    Dave,
    I agree that is a low price vs BMW shop, but if the guy knows what he's doing he'll make plenty. I always buy expensive OEM parts from Motobins in England, best prices and pretty fast shipping (7 days to Tennessee). So let's say its a leaky slave cylinder- you would need slave cylinder, rear transmission seal, felt for push rod, clutch fluid, clutch friction disc, diaphragm spring, pressure plate, cover and 6 new bolts. I'm guessing about $600 in parts (you can go to MB web site and add it up if desired). I think someone who knows what they're doing can complete the job in a very long afternoon, but let's give him a whole day. That's a pretty good take. If the guy wants to make even more money then he can leave out the replacement of all the clutch parts except the 6 new bolts and friction disc as at 25,000 miles, unless clutch was abused, the other components are probably good for another 25-50,000 miles.
    2004 R 1150 GS