Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Upper peninsula tour with a little bit of Milwaukee, Springfield IL, and the arch

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy777
    On your next visit to Michigan - especially Northern Michigan - you MUST ride on 119 out of Harbor Springs. 20 miles of twisting in and out of the forest with some of the best views of Lake Michigan anywhere (to say nothing of the many beautiful homes/cottages scattered along the road.) I guarantee a life changing perma-grin experience to any and all who ride 119.
    Have to agree with Cliffy on this one. We were just up there a few weeks ago, and did the 119 ride from near Petoskey, through Harbor Springs and on up to Cross Village 3 times, and could have done more. It's just beautiful. Had to be careful about not chatting too much with my wife/passenger, as some of the turns are sharp and come one after another, and I really needed to concentrate. Great ride!
    Dan

andy45320
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy777
    how the heck does it work? Did you take the picture at the very top of the curve or what?
    Kind of strange actually...I didn't get a picture of it but you ride in a "tram" as they call it. Basically individual pod like elevtors with seats for 5 people. First part it kind of stair steps up a bit, then rides up in a self leveling mode, and finally near the top it starts to stair step again. Pictures were near the top part of the curve. There were about 10 short windows on each side and you kind of lay over them. I always wanted to go up it since I saw the arch a few years ago when I had a connecting flight in St. Louis. Was pretty cool. Next on my list is Mount Rushmore and Devil's tower

SNC1923
    Hi qual ride report--excellent images, too. Thanks for the tour. Nice.

I agree with Cliffy. Get off 75 at either Gaylord, or Wolverine (exit 301). If Gaylord, go over to 131, and go north through Petoskey, around Little Traverse Bay through Harbor Springs, and along the coast up to Mackinac. If Wolverine, take the road you exit on (Mitchel?) to Petoskey, and you can either go through downtown Petoskey, or turn right at Division, catch 131 on either route and go around the bay too.

If you're looking at a map, the route from Harbor springs to Mackinac goes through Good Hart

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

I took 131 all around the coast to the 119 road and follwed the smaller roads around the shoeline to Mackinaw a few months ago...cool. Then took US23 around from Mackinaw which wasn't bad either.

Excellent Ride Report And Pics....Thanks For Sharing....

andy45320
    Quote Originally Posted by einnar
    I agree with Cliffy. Get off 75 at either Gaylord, or Wolverine (exit 301). If Gaylord, go over to 131, and go north through Petoskey, around Little Traverse Bay through Harbor Springs, and along the coast up to Mackinac. If Wolverine, take the road you exit on (Mitchel?) to Petoskey, and you can either go through downtown Petoskey, or turn right at Division, catch 131 on either route and go around the bay too.

If you're looking at a map, the route from Harbor springs to Mackinac goes through Good Hart
    Actually, this is where I went the first day...the road along Harbor Springs and on back around is M-22. Best road in the state

Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie
    Omigosh! Sorry to laugh, but I live in Milwaukee and it is SO true!! That and much worse. Ugh.

GREAT pictures! Thanks for sharing them. I haven't been up that way in a while. It looks like you had a great time and some great weather.

And it's even worse in Chicago where I work and ride frequently.

Thanks for the pictures and sharing your ride with us.
    RatSnake
    Dennis Murphy
    Third Lake, IL
    2013 R1200GS BMWMOA, IBMWR, AMA Rounder #43