photo 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craigt

1990 K75s Recent restoration

Photo 3

Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Thumbs up Beautiful job, Craig!

Great to see an orange K75S---same color I'm considering for mine soon (only would be more of a neon bright orange if I go with it).

Did you spray it yourself or have it done? Looks very well done, indeed.

Would certainly be interested in hearing all about it, type of paint, etc. at your convenience if you are so inclined.
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

Craigt
    Its actually the standard "Ducati Red". It has just a bit more yellow in it than the BMW Red. I had a friend paint it, he owns a shop here in Pittsburgh. His name David Ley, let me know if yoy want his information. I did the body work and primer, he painted it and clear coated. I did the final sanding and polishing. The color was from PPG. In the PPG system its listed as Ducati Red.

Beautiful, Good work, Good job, Good photography.

Thumbs up Impressive K75S Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by craigt View Post
    The paint is still drying.

Wow! That's stunning! Beautiful work.

-MTS
    Mike Sweger
    Charlottesville, Virginia | 2004 K1200GT "Zw?Âlfziegel"
    "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought." ~ Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Quote Originally Posted by craigt View Post
    Its actually the standard "Ducati Red". It has just a bit more yellow in it than the BMW Red. I had a friend paint it, he owns a shop here in Pittsburgh. His name David Ley, let me know if yoy want his information. I did the body work and primer, he painted it and clear coated. I did the final sanding and polishing. The color was from PPG. In the PPG system its listed as Ducati Red.
    Thanks for the details, Craig. I might be interested in sending David my tupperware if need be but I plan to DIY it first as best as I possibly can.

I've heard that PPG is excellent hard paint to use and will try to find it at a shop here on the island. I got a little Preval Sprayer at Home Depot the other day---and while it might work OK with some good paint in it---I'm leaning towards the whole hog route: compressor, regulator, water filter(s), detail gun, full suit & respirator, etc.

I'm especially curious as to your prep work as I've been wondering if it is necessary to sand down to bare plastic? My paint is already good, so if I wet sand with 600/1000 perhaps I could lay down the color coat then? If not, did you or David use a certain type of plastic primer before the color coat?

Don't want to hijack this thread any further so if you care to respond via PM that's fine, I'm all ears. Thanks again and congrats on a great-looking bike!
    ---Jeff

Craigt....I'm glad to know the color. My bikes second owner repainted it a great red (with a little more yellow than most reds) rather than the original "675." It's faded now and chipped, has a couple of rattle can touchups and wasn't a very good paint job to begin with. I keep wanting to repaint it, but the bike never sits still.

It's a great red for being seen. Few people pull out in front of me.

mrei2007

My new machine...an '87 K75S

Just picked it up in Chicago from a good friend who's owned it since he purchased it new 22 years ago.

Beautiful, rode home under the cold, cloudy skies to the Detroit area; smoooooth (especially after owning KTM singles!).
    Such a great looking ride, comfy and still pretty contemporary from a design perspective after all of these years.

New fluids and tires and I am set for the season, assuming we are done with snow until September or October!

23,000 miles, all the bags, three seats, three windshields and 30 years of friendship.

I remember Dave riding to my apartment the day he picked this thing up from the dealer - he was proud and young, I was hung-over and young and now I'm the proud owner and less young.

Mommasita!

Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Talking

Holy crap! That bike and the history that goes with it make it one smokin' deal regardless of whatever you had to pay for it!

Major congratulations, I'm sure you must be over the moon!

ENJOY!
    ---Jeff

Going to Prudoe Bay, Alaska on the haul road, pipe line in the back ground.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

03 RS, low standard shield, extended wind protection at hands (will come off soon with summer), a custom rear rack with chicane bag. Along the Blue Ridge Parkway May 2 09