Thread: 2002 K1200RS - engine revs unexpectedly

2002 K1200RS - engine revs unexpectedly

Would an intake air leak cause the engine to rev up without throttle input? Where the leak need occur - before an airflow sensor? I'm trying to understand how a leak might cause my engine to rev
    Thanks for any input

Air leak

Spray a little WD-40 around the throttle bodies and connections to the intake manifold. Any change in RPM will be a clue.

It's not very sophisticated but a simple place to start.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "Life isn't about how fast or how high, it's about how well you bounce."

On your bike (and almost all internal combustion engines) the engine speed is throttle controlled. That is, a throttle plate "throttles" or restricts air flow into the cylinder(s). When you open the throttle the engine speeds up. If you have an air leak that is after the throttle plate in a carburetor or throttle body then the cylinder is getting more air than intended and the rpm will be higher. This is generally noticed as a high idle speed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thanks

I thought i had the theory correct but hadn't thought of the WD40 spray. Will try that and see what happens. Thanks for the input