Thread: valve noise

BigTinNC

valve noise

Ha airhead fans , Ive got a ticking Q for you all. I have a 74 R90/6 that has valve train noise. It is ok cold but at high RPM 4K + or when it gets to normal temp the valves get noise.... Ive adj. them and tightend the cyl. nuts and set the rocker so there is little to no movement between the blocks...... Maby i am to picky and this is normal, Does this sound normal to you? IF not do you have any sugestions.

Around the world, '87-'98

Re: valve noise

Originally posted by Tinker
    ...and set the rocker so there is little to no movement between the blocks...... Maby i am to picky and this is normal, Does this sound normal to you? IF not do you have any sugestions.
    There is an exact spec from BMW for this clearance - it's not much - don't have the specs to hand, but you do want to find out what it is supposed to be and set it right, especially if you are concerned about noise.

Also, is it MORE noise than usual or is this bike new to you and it just seems noisy? They ARE supposed to click a bit - when they're absolutely quiet - WORRY!

If there is a problem in the top-end this could cause extra noise. A compression test should show if there is a problem.
    Grant Johnson

One world, Two wheels.
    www.HorizonsUnlimited.com
    The Motorcycle Travellers' Website

For somewhere between $100-$300 you can purchase the rockers installed on post-1985 Airheads, which are shimmed for end clearance with plastic shims to help with noise.

In addition, you can purchase the rubber "buttons" to place between cylinder head fins to address fin "ringing."
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Better to hear 'em than to smell 'em.