Thread: Nikwax for leather

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar

Nikwax for leather

has anyone used nikwax on their leathers? Does it really waterproof it to the point I dont need a rain jacket? My only good armor is in my leathers, and it looks like a soggy ride from ohio to the rally thursday, andif I can get away without a rain jacket by using the nikwax I would be a happy rider.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Random
    Seems it's been a soggy ride in Ohio all year. I've thought about using nikwax too but, I'm not going to leave the rain gear at home. What would I do with the extra space in my bags?

I would like to hear other's experiences using Nixwak though.

nikiwax

I purchased some along with gloves for my better half. I used it on her gloeves and then my Motoport Miami (not waterproof) boots. On the way home from the rally we drove throyugh rain for about an hour and wet roads etc for a while after that. My non-waterproof boots that I had put the wax on kept my feet dry. Appears to have worked.
    Scott Miller
    '88 k75s

Email : botit@comcast.net

Growing old is inevitable... Growing up is optional.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar

Nikwax does work

I had treated my jacket with 2 coats as recommended, and wore it to the rally, and as everyone who went knows, it did rain in the evenings. I had a 20 mile ride to the hotel, and it kept me dry with no raincoat. I dont think I will go without raingear for extended trips, but it did work fine. The only thing I didnt like is that the black nikwax rubs off even after following the directions and wiping the excess off. I would recommend it to anyone that is considering it.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I used Nikwax on my gloves, boots and Russell Daylong (leather) and am very happy with the results.. Water beads up on the seat and feet and hands have kept dry in rain.
    2005 R1200GS 1985 R80 1981 R65
    2004 Triumph Sprint ST
    2002 Kawasaki KLR 650 1993 250 Honda Helix
    BMWMOA Life Member