Thread: Aftermarket sidestand for '06 R1200RT

Aftermarket sidestand for '06 R1200RT

My 1980 R100RT has a Brown sidestand which is a dream. It holds the bike more nearly upright, making it easier to get up off the sidestand when ready to ride. No impact on stability; I've never had to worry that the bike would fall over to the right because it was too close to upright. Paying all due attention to the slope of the parking surface, of course.

The sidestand on my '06 RT is just too short. The bike leans way over, and it's already more top-heavy than the '80. Is there anything comparable to the Brown sidestand for this model bike?

For the inevitably helpful guy who suggests using Search: I've Googled but not found anything. I've also tried the Search function on this board, but got hundreds of hits. None of the first 30 or so had anything to do with the search I set up. I even tried it a couple different ways in Advanced Search. Signal to noise ratio way too high, and hundreds of posts to wade through. Didn't see a way to specify, for instance, this sub-forum.

Thanks folks.
    Bruce N8UTY
    2006 R1200RT
    1980 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by brucen8uty View Post
    My 1980 R100RT has a Brown sidestand which is a dream. It holds the bike more nearly upright, making it easier to get up off the sidestand when ready to ride. No impact on stability; I've never had to worry that the bike would fall over to the right because it was too close to upright. Paying all due attention to the slope of the parking surface, of course.

The sidestand on my '06 RT is just too short. The bike leans way over, and it's already more top-heavy than the '80. Is there anything comparable to the Brown sidestand for this model bike?

For the inevitably helpful guy who suggests using Search: I've Googled but not found anything. I've also tried the Search function on this board, but got hundreds of hits. None of the first 30 or so had anything to do with the search I set up. I even tried it a couple different ways in Advanced Search. Signal to noise ratio way too high, and hundreds of posts to wade through. Didn't see a way to specify, for instance, this sub-forum.

Thanks folks.
    When you search and nothing comes up, it may because no one else has perceived the same need. The only sidestand related areas I've seen over the years relate to enlarging the foot for softer ground, and shorter sidestands for lowered RTs. I would have to say the answer to your question is most likely no.

Probably easy enough to have a plug welded into yours...

Good luck.

John

Raises it a little - not much but good.

The loop makes it very easy to both deploy and retract. I like it.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Any chance you have a shorter than stock stand? Suspension ever lowered and then restored to stock? Maybe too much play at the pivot due to wear?

Mine measures 12 5/8" from the center of the pivot (1" mark on tape) to the top outside tip of the foot. Bike does not seem to be at that much of an angle, any less angle on uneven surfaces might be prone to tipping to the right.

FWIW, I measured the lean at 13? with the front wheel straight ahead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lkraus; 10-12-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT