Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: In Search of Color in the Greens and Whites

In Search of Color in the Greens and Whites

As the days shorten and the nights become cooler, there's a little part of my little brain that starts to plant a seed saying maybe it's time to head north and see how the fall color is coming along. Resistance is futile and I gave in this week and headed to New England.

i supplied myself for four days/three nights of gourmet eating.

This past Monday morning I headed out.

Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

I've ridden in New England a couple of times before, but had never spent much time in New Hampshire and had never ridden in Maine. Because the Kancamagus Highway is on my short list of motorcycle roads to ride, my plan was to ride that road out and back, and in between, ride over and put my front wheel in Maine so I could add that state to my "Lower 48 States I've Ridden In" list. I camped one night in northwest CT (Housatonic Meadows SP) and two nights in VT (Mt Ascutney SP) as my base camp for my launch into NH and ME.

This was my route, more or less.

I left my home north of Philadelphia around 9 in the morning and rode the interstates. My first stop was at the Sloatsburg service area on the NY Thruway and thought I'd arrived at the airport...or the mall.

I've never seen a rest area like this. The parking lot was a double decker garage!

After a few hours on the interstate, the Taconic State Pkwy was a nice break. No malls here.

I've never spent much time on the Taconic before, but it's a nice alternative to the NY Thruway. It's an older parkway with no shoulders, no services and pretty spartan parking areas but fun to ride. I wasn't on it too long and exited to Lagrangeville and headed east.

I came across a late 18th century cemetery, and is my habit, stopped for a snack break and a look around. I found some of the Potter's in the Potter's Corner Burying Ground.

The ride east was great fun with twisty roads, nice scenery and little traffic.

I entered CT at Bulls Bridge and found the first of many covered bridges of this tour.

If you don't like pictures of cemeteries or covered bridges you can stop reading here.

Route 7 took me through Kent and Cornwall Bridge on my way to Housatonic Meadows SP. Since it was early and I was riding through some nice areas, I figured I'd get to camp and set up and then come back this way and explore a little.

I got to the campground around 2, found a choice spot right on the Housatonic River and set up. There was one other couple a few sites away and no one else ever came in. I had the river to myself.

Terence

With camp set up and several of hours of daylight left, I headed out to ride the local roads. The state park is located on route 7, a very scenic, twisty road along the Housatonic.

I first headed north to West Cornwall, having seen a sign for a covered bridge.

It's a nice town and I poked around for awhile.

Kent, CT was the next place I wanted to visit, so headed back down route 7. I've hiked chunks of the Appalachian Trail and am always interested in trail towns, of which Kent is one, with the AT passing just to the west. If I ever hike that section, I'll need to know where to get the biggest cheeseburger in town so did a little scouting. Lots of likely candidates.

Just a few of the sights to see in town.

With it getting later, I headed back to camp, stopping a couple of times along the way.

Back at camp, I enjoyed the river and my afternoon coffee for a little while before dinner.

I choose dinner based on what was the heaviest and bulkiest so packing in the morning would be easier. Taste had nothing to do with it.

Dinner was eaten down by the river and I even got treated to a passing train on the tracks across the river.

I sat by the river and enjoyed my evening whiskey until it was very dark and it was time for bed.

I drifted off to sleep with single malt in my brain and the soothing sounds of the Housatonic in my ear.
    Terence

I got up a little before 7am to low 40 temps and a light fog. I made my oatmeal and coffee and sat by the river eating my breakfast watching the heron catch his breakfast.

I wasn't in too much of hurry as I was headed to Mt Ascutney SP in Vermont, around 200 miles away. I also wanted to let it warm up a little so I would be more comfortable. I packed up, minus a few bulky food items, and headed out around 9. The forecast was for a gorgeous day.

I retraced my steps to West Cornwall so I could take one more look at the bridge and town.

I headed through Goshen and continued northeast. I'll spare you pictures of the Goshen cemetery. There were lots of small ponds in this area...and freshly chip sealed roads.

I eventually crossed into Massachusetts around Granville and followed route 112 more or less to Vermont.

Getting hungry, I had to find a cemetery for a snack break. A Catholic cemetery would do.

Later in the day I detoured into Shelburne Falls. I thought there might be a falls to see.

One of the gentlemen I talked to, who had relocated there from Philadelphia - we talked cheese steaks and soft pretzels, described the town as Mayberry, a very nice town.

I walked across the Bridge of Flowers that crosses the Deerfield River.

And yes, there is a falls, which I took a look at before heading out of town. There are some interesting glacial holes worn into the rocks from long ago eddies at the falls.

Shortly thereafter I crossed into Vermont.

Terence

Vermont is one of my favorite states to ride in. Some roads are better than others, but I don't think there's a bad road. Some don't have the best surface, but that's not unique to Vermont.

I stayed on 112 until Jacksonville where I picked up VT100.

In West Dover, I headed east towards East Dover and Williamsville, where the reconstructed Williamsville covered bridge can be found.

There was a nice house at the bridge. I really like the architecture of New England homes.

As I was cruising through "town", a little boy in front of the General Store/Eatery waved to me so I stopped to chat with him and his brother and mother. Nice people.

I stopped in Newfane to check out all the steeples and cupolas in town.

I headed north through Townsend and Grafton.

I really liked Grafton and spent time looking around town.

Continuing north, I turned east at Cavendish on VT 131 scenic. It was a very nice ride.

Like a lot of roads, VT 131 follows a river so is twisty with lots of river views. Of course, I'm sure the rivers can flood and tear the roads up.

I started to catch views of Mt Ascutney.

VT 131 ended in Ascutney and I took the short ride north to the state park, arriving around 5 pm. I camped here many years ago when I toured New England on my /5 and I had fond memories of this park. I was not disappointed.

There were very few campers in the park, so it was a quiet evening. Another dinner of bulky canned items, a little sipping' whiskey and it was off to bed as the temperature dropped.

I slept pretty well for sleeping on the ground in a tent.
    Terence

I got up before 7 am with temps in the 40s and fog - not too bad. For as long as I can remember, breakfast has been pop tarts, coffee and oatmeal when camping - I'm a creature of habit so today was no exception.

My plan today was to ride the Kancamagus Highway, briefly visit Maine and return to my campsite, so I didn't have to break camp and could travel relatively light today.

I headed out a little after 8 am and first rode to the top of Mt Ascutney. With the fog, I wasn't too hopeful. As I climbed I eventually broke through into clear, sunny skies and had an awesome view at the top.

It was much warmer at the top and I was overdressed, wearing several layers and heavy gloves. I stayed there for awhile knowing cool dampness awaited me.

The ride down transitioned back to the fog.

The morning ride started cool and foggy.

I soon found myself in South Woodstock, where the fog had lifted.

While I was photographing the store, a man came up and we started talking about photography and he told me about a local farm that is the "most photographed farm in Vermont". He told me how to get to the Jenne Farm and off I went.

The farm is located up a packed dirt road.

I've seen much better pictures on the web, but it was a very nice location, especially when the sugar maples turn.

After a little bit, I headed up to Woodstock, a really nice town.

I had noticed lots of old touring cars on the local roads and saw several gathered at the Woodstock Inn. I asked what was going on and owners of restored Mercedes Benz touring cars were in the area for a gathering before heading to Stowe. The cars were absolutely beautiful.

This was a 1923 model that the owner was getting ready to take out on the road.

I stayed and watched some of the cars drive off. I'm not a car guy, but these were amazing vehicles.

I headed east from Woodstock through Taftsville.

I was headed for Quechee Gorge, the deepest gorge in Vermont. I had heard about it and wanted to see it. I walked out to look at the bridge over the gorge and then hiked down to the mouth of the gorge. The day was warming up and the uphill hike back out was a little slower.

I left there about 11:30 and since I still had a ways to go, decided to jump on I-91 and head north to make a little time up to the Kancamagus. I like the interstates in Vermont - good surface, very scenic and little traffic.

I exited at route 302 and crossed into NH at Woodsville.
    Terence

I picked up the Kancamagus Highway, NH 112, and headed east. This was a really fun road that followed a crooked, boulder strewn river. I wasn't complaining.

Just short of NH 118 was a very scenic beaver pond, so I stopped for a rest.

Past Lincoln, the Kancamagus becomes really scenic as it goes up and over Kancamagus Pass. I was filming the ride from west to east, so didn't stop until the end in Conway.

Being close to Maine, I took route 113 toward Fryeburg and stopped at the state line. A bicyclist headed to Rockport stopped and we took each other's picture.

I still have RI, TX, NM, AZ and NV left of the lower 48. I had planned to ride to Fryeburg, but 113 was a rough road that wasn't very scenic and had traffic. Three strikes and you're out so I turned around short of Fryeburg. I wanted to get back to NH and ride the Kancamagus again.

This time I stopped a few times.

Heading west from Lincoln, I picked up NH 118 for the ride to Hanover. Many of the roads in VT and NH were rough from the severe winters, but 118 absolutely beat the crap out of me. 30 mph was too fast. There were some nice views though.

I was glad when that road ended. I eventually picked up Rt 10 to Hanover and only spent a little time there. It was getting late and I didn't want to be on the roads at dusk - I'd seen enough Moose Crossing signs - so I picked up I-91 to head back to camp arriving there around 6:30. I "enjoyed" a pasta dinner before it got too dark to see.

A little single malt and it was off to bed to rest up for my final day on the road.
    Terence

I awoke to another cool, foggy morning. I was breakfasted, packed and ready to go a little after 8. I had time to meander today and wanted to stay off of the interstates as long as I could. There were parts of rural Vermont I wanted to ride.

I always have a little spring in my step on "going home" day. I picked up VT 131 in Ascutney and headed west to Ludlow. I took it easy as I always do early in the day and this was a great road to ride. The road surface was good, the fog softened everything and the road had gentle curves. It was a good way to start the day and I got into a rhythm.

In Ludlow, I picked up VT 100, a road I've ridden several times and never get tired of. I stopped briefly in Weston, as I've done before. There's a really nice village green there and some nice homes.

In Londonderry, I picked up VT 11 and headed east. The fog became very heavy around Bromley and I had to slow. Coming down the mountain on the west side, the fog cleared for my ride to Manchester. There's a nice courthouse, church and hotel there and some really nice typical New England homes. I spent a bit of time here.

And a nice peaceful little cemetery.

I continued south on VT 7A.

In Arlington, which has an interesting cemetery I stopped to look at, I turned west on VT 313.

There was one last covered bridge and farm to see before leaving Vermont.

Soon I crossed into NY.

There are covered bridges in NY too.

NY 22 took me south. I rode this road a couple of years ago and remember it was a little rough.

Little has changed apparently.

About 10 or 15 miles down the road, the road had been repaved and further south there were delays as they were working on the road. I really like this road and with a new road surface, it'll be much better.

I worked my way down to I-90 and took it west to the Taconic State Pkwy. I enjoyed riding it on my way up a few days earlier and wanted to ride more of it.

It had gotten cloudy and I stopped to check my weather app and it looked like rain between myself and home.

I really enjoyed riding the Pkwy. I passed two different LEOs lurking in the bushes but wasn't doing too much over the posted speed limit.

I stopped short of I-84 to suit up and cover up for any rain ahead.

Once on I-84, I retraced my earlier interstate route home. I only ran into light showers, though in many places the road was wet, so I had the good fortune of coming through after the showers had passed. I arrived home around 5:30.

This trip was about 1150 miles and covered some of my favorite riding areas. I hope to get back to New England soon.
    Last edited by terham; 09-29-2014 at 01:33 AM.
    Terence

ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

I need to get up to that part of the country. Very scenic! Thanks for the trip!!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Awesome Sunday morning read with a cup of steaming French Roast.

Thank you!
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

You sir are a true motorcyclist.....cheers. Fantastic album, fantastic ride.
    David
    2013 R 1200 RT Fluid Metallic Grey
    "Speed is fine but accuracy is final"

Glad to see you are finding something to do in your retiement years!
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Thumbs up True Motorcyclist

Quote Originally Posted by dduplin View Post
    You sir are a true motorcyclist.....cheers. Fantastic album, fantastic ride.
    David,

YOU are absolute correct!! Having ridden many miles with him, Terence is a TRUE rider, and a connoisseur of PIE!!

Terence, What a VERY nice travelogue, your photo's make me want to come east to ride!!
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6 (rebuild complete)
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Radar41 View Post

...your photo's make me want to come east to ride!!
    We could probably find a road or two here for you to ride.
    Terence