Thread: Fuel strip - new twist

Talking Fuel strip - new twist

I wonder if anyone has experienced this fuel strip problem. About 5 weeks back my fuel strip failed. It displayed the low fuel light most of the time and the remainder of the time it just looked to be empty with no display on the fuel bar. I decided to leave it for awhile and watched my trip odometer carefully. I thought that I would replace at the end of the season.

Now, about a week back (4 weeks after failure) the fuel strip just started working again. Now I have about a week of regular operation with the fuel gage working fine. What is this about? Maybe to message should be never replace the fuel strip right away........or is it that next week it will go bad again?

R12R 2007

Mine did the same thing. I never knew if it was going to work or not. When it worked it was accurate, but other times it just showed empty and the yellow triangle.

I put up with it a couple of months and finally made an appointment to get it fixed. As I was riding to the dealer it started working again. They replaced it anyway and it's been fine since.

Edited to add; the strip was replaced three years ago and is still working.
    Last edited by k12lts; 09-02-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    2009 R1200RT, 2011 Ural Patrol
    2006 KLR 650, 1981 R100RS

BMW MOA 37304

New fuel strips holding up?

I saw on different threads, and confirmed by my dealer, that last year BMW had dealers pull all fuel strips from the shelf and send them in, and were replaced by new ones (same part number and no obvious changes). Has anyone had one of the new ones fail? I took it for granted that the fuel strip problem was fixed and hence the letter from BMW.

Fuel Strip - spoke too fast

Now I feel foolish. Today on a ride the fuel strip wet haywire again. The old in and out, in and out.

R12R

Mine failed at 700 miles, but I put it off. A few weeks later it started working. Two years later and several thousand miles and it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by PPHILIPS154949 View Post
    I saw on different threads, and confirmed by my dealer, that last year BMW had dealers pull all fuel strips from the shelf and send them in, and were replaced by new ones (same part number and no obvious changes). Has anyone had one of the new ones fail? I took it for granted that the fuel strip problem was fixed and hence the letter from BMW.
    My understanding was that the great dealer fuel strip stock replacement happened in April 2013. My original failed in June 2013 and I had it replaced in July. That one failed shortly thereafter and I now have #3 in. It worked fine until about a month ago, when it started reading erratically. So if my #2 and #3 were from the new, supposedly "fixed" stock, I'm not sure that was totally successful.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

BMW Warranty extension

I just received a letter from BMW advising me that the warranty on fuel strips has been extended to a total of 12 years.

I've never had a failure, but for those who have, this should be good news.

OTOH, they've not notified me about the fuel pump recall.

John

fuel strip

Quote Originally Posted by Arte Johns son View Post
    I just received a letter from BMW advising me that the warranty on fuel strips has been extended to a total of 12 years.

I've never had a failure, but for those who have, this should be good news.

OTOH, they've not notified me about the fuel pump recall.

John
    BMW finally stepped up on the fuel strip issue. My 08 with 57k is on the 3rd strip, first 2 free, 3rd I paid. With their letter, my Dealer ( Grassroots, cape Gir.Mo) stepped up and is filing my claim for reinbursement, hassle free.
    Don j

I bought my 07 R1200RT with 33K miles two months ago and my fuel gauge was working fine. I filled it up many times with non-ethanol gas and took it on many short trips and it continued to work fine. Took it for its first long trip last week and I couldn't find non-ethanol close by so I put 1 gallon of premium 10% ethanol in to get me by. The fuel gauge quit working immediately. Yellow exclamation mark and blinking fuel warning and no fuel level indicated regardless of actual fuel in tank. Coincidence? Hasn't started working again yet and I won't hold my breath.