Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: In your collective opinion

I've tried a multitude of bikes recently, and I find that the 96-04 RT's are the most nuetral/comfortable of the lot. I am 6'2'' with 34 inch inseam and weigh 230#. The seat is in the second position with seat beads. No bar risers, but foam overgrips.This places my thighs at just a slight downward angle and my feet are in line vertically with my hip joint. Makes for good comfort. Also have a ThrottleMeister which greatly reduces hand and wrist fatigue. I use it ALOT. My back is never sore, the wrists are always ok. The bottom of my bum gets a little sore at the 250 mile mark, but Im sure a Russell seat will fix that.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

'95 R1100RS
    stock seat in middle hight
    bars mid - forward in their adjustment range
    5'10", 225lbs (slowly working back toward 175)

Riding straight roads gets painful after an hour or so for me. The first area of pain is between my shoulder blades - base of my neck. The knees and hips follow suit and my lower back is then stiff when I get off the bike. If I'm riding in a sporting manner on twisty roads, I can ride all day without much pain. That means putting most of my weight through my feet instead of my butt and moving on the bike constantly. I take this as my bike and body telling me I have to ride fun roads. I'm ok with that and plan routes accordingly.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    With my modest inseam, my R1200CLC had the most comfortable riding position on interstates and straight roads. However, when it came to riding twisties, my K bikes and Airheads were far better. I had it 7 years and since most of my riding is on steep mountain roads, I sent it to a better place in SC. The new owner was replacing an identical bike he had sold earlier due to circumstances.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

My R100RS is the most comfortable motorcycle that I've ever ridden. Stock bars, stock seat and pegs, it fits me perfectly.

I've got a left knee that's pretty much permanently messed up, so I need a little more leg room than other folks may need. The airhead RS works great.

Now, the 1100RS is a little tighter in the knee department, even with the seat at its highest adjustment. But it still works pretty well for me.

The thing is, people's physical shapes and overall condition varies so much that there's no correct answer to the question. What works for one will not work for another, etc.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

"The thing is, people's physical shapes and overall condition varies so much that there's no correct answer to the question. What works for one will not work for another, etc."

That is undoubtedly true, and it should be a clear signal to manufacturers that they need to design in adjustability into the controls and seating. Yet, few seem to give this critical aspect of the motorcycle much attention.
    Another gripe I have: Research suggests that there may be a relationship between poorly designed saddles and prostate cancer. Bicyclists have saddles with a channel down the center to provide room for some anatomical features . I wonder why motorcycle seats do not have this feature.

Okay, now lets get on to the subject of vanishing center stands, or is that a rant for another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by walt3022 View Post
    "The thing is, people's physical shapes and overall condition varies so much that there's no correct answer to the question. What works for one will not work for another, etc."

That is undoubtedly true, and it should be a clear signal to manufacturers that they need to design in adjustability into the controls and seating. Yet, few seem to give this critical aspect of the motorcycle much attention.
    Another gripe I have: Research suggests that there may be a relationship between poorly designed saddles and prostate cancer. Bicyclists have saddles with a channel down the center to provide room for some anatomical features . I wonder why motorcycle seats do not have this feature.

Okay, now lets get on to the subject of vanishing center stands, or is that a rant for another thread?
    I was told once by an industry insider ? That most motorcycles designed & intended for import to the US...were designed around a male, 5'10,175 lbs....Not sure if it is still so....frankly not sure if it was true then. This insider also said that they [motorcycles] were designed to be ridden without a windshield??
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Amazingly, my K1200RS was the most comfortable BMW I've ever owned. The only BMW I didn't need an aftermarket seat. The only change, comfort wise, was a comfort windshield. I've had 3 GSes and they all had to have aftermarket seats. 100 miles max on the stock before my rear started complaining. The current RT isn't bad at all and I'm doing minor tweaks to try to live with the seat. I have an Alaska Leather seat pad on it now but I just got it back. More miles will tell.

Just for reference I'm 6'3" and about 205 lbs.
    Greg
    South Central Valley, CA
    2014 R1200RTW, 2013 Paiggio BV350, 2010 Yamaha TW200, 1978 R100/7

I'll echo others' comments and agree that this is probably subjective; weight, height, and other factors notwithstanding.
    For me, I'd say my old R100RT (1988 model) was perhaps the most neutral in terms of a BMW riding position. I'm about 5'-8" (but leggy), roughly 150-160 lbs.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

I agree with Rich, out of the box a GS is hard to beat.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '00 R1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by 6322 View Post
    I agree with Rich, out of the box a GS is hard to beat.
    Never ridden a GS...are they more 'neutral' than a roadster ? I need to try & find that "ergo" site & see how they compare.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

71243: Here it is www.cycle-ergo.com

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    71243: Here it is www.cycle-ergo.com
    Franko,

Thanks a bunch!....and there seems to be a significant difference. My "R" compared to a 1200GS [compared to it because if I do buy new ? ]

seat height +2" , knee angle -12 degrees less bent, hip [my most discomfort] -18 degrees less crouched .

I'm no ergo engineer but those sound like ...as I said a significant difference ?!

Now I need to do some thinking...hummm...sell my Victory [it wasn't the answer i thought it would be] sell the LT ...& for now keep the "R" just cuz I wuv it..........and perhaps shop for a GS ? I don't care for the overall seat height , but that can be lowered without changing the other angles. I won't go off road anyway so.......

Thanks again...Ron
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster