Thread: Fuel Line Quick Disconnects - Finally!

Fuel Line Quick Disconnects - Finally!

Well after 11 years, I finally got around to replacing those "so-called" junk and often read about plastic OEM fuel line quick disconnects on my 2003 GS Adventure that I've owned since day-one.

Those who have replaced these know how tough they are to remove from the existing fuel lines. Pulling and twisting won't get them out and it took a lot of sideways force in the way of rocking to remove them.

Now if it took that much force to remove these 11-year-old fittings without them breaking, how is it that these things failed and crumbled in ones hands after a couple of years? Another Urban Legend on the web?

04 gsa

Mine didn't crumble in my hands. My bike had about a week of sitting in the garage and my wife commented abut a strong smell of gas there and building up in the house. I went out and started poking around and noticed a small puddle under the trusty GSA. I pushed it outside only to notice a pretty significant leak after I moved it. Those connectors are a pain to get out (and they don't crumble) and install new ones. To be able to design and build a plastic part with just one specific weak spot and the rest impossible to break, now that's engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Well after 11 years, I finally got around to replacing those "so-called" junk and often read about plastic OEM fuel line quick disconnects on my 2003 GS Adventure that I've owned since day-one.

Those who have replaced these know how tough they are to remove from the existing fuel lines. Pulling and twisting won't get them out and it took a lot of sideways force in the way of rocking to remove them.

Now if it took that much force to remove these 11-year-old fittings without them breaking, how is it that these things failed and crumbled in ones hands after a couple of years? Another Urban Legend on the web?
    I found the same thing, given that BMW only replaces the male-connector, my guess is that someone damages it during insertion and removal.

One thing I found, the female metal QD doesn't have a shroud around the plunger. As a result it is very easy for the plunger to be bumped and for the connector to be slightly open, leading to the halves separating enough that the internal valves close. Then you look at it, it looks fine, but the bike won't run. I've locked a tie-wrap under the upper plunger now to prevent that. If the upper, return QD opens, the pressure goes too high in the supply side.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post

never had/seen one crumble. typically the males snap at the thin part of the neck.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

My QD's were a disaster.
    At 6 months my then new '02 R1150RT began to smell of gasoline, intermittently. Occasionally gas dripped out.
    Several times I removed the tupperware, but could not find any leak.
    Finally I located the leak at first one, and then the other figure-8 clamps. I re-crimped them a few times but the problem always came back.
    The dealer said there were no reports of such leaks or any QD problems.
    Finally I got the good screw-type fuel line clamps and solved that.

Then one day while stopped at a light in traffic, gas came gushing out, onto the exhaust. The male neck of the plastic QD had broken spontaneously. Yes, it's possible that my previous disconnecting during leak investigation had weakened it though I was careful.

The metal QDs are of course a great improvement but I too have had problems getting them to lock properly, and the o-rings need replacement practically every time you disconnect, otherwise they tear and leak. I do lube them a tiny bit when connecting, didn't always help.

Still on balance I prefer having the convenience of the QD's for tank removal. I know some just replace them with continuous fuel hose.
    --
    Doug Raymond
    R1150RT '02
    Ambler, PA

Those of who work on these bikes all the time know it's a very real issue. I've even made house calls to fix broken disconnects. Now I update them as a matter of course when I see the old plastic male fitting. Replaced some just this morning in fact.

No shroud on the female? Are we talking about the same BMW-supplied black plastic CPC fittings? They have shrouds, unlike some of the sharp, bulky aftermarket stuff. The stock plastic female and the updated metal male, with crimps, is a great setup.

EDIT: got it; you're talking about the same replacement crap that I am. I always keep the stock female fitting. No problem with it.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

On my 97 RT, one of the fittings cracked while under warranty. As the shop tech was attempting to replace it, the BRAND NEW one literally crumbled apart in his hands. I was watching, and we looked at each other with dropped jaws and a "WTF?!?!" expression on our faces...

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    I found the same thing, given that BMW only replaces the male-connector, my guess is that someone damages it during insertion and removal.
    That is what I've always said shortly after reading about these QD issues ages ago.

It did't take me long to figure out that new O-rings were needed every time these connectors are split or too much force was needed to reconnect them. No doubt some used tools to force these QDs together...no wonder some failed.

Anyway, I am super surprised that my original QDs did not break upon removal considering the force used to remove them...I'm built and my Fingers were in pain.

So in the end, this mod wasn't really necessary, at least in my case. I figured since I was replacing the fuel filter, why not.

BTW, I chose to use original Ōtiker crimp clamps due to their compactness.

Quote Originally Posted by DougRaymond View Post
    At 6 months my then new '02 R1150RT began to smell of gasoline, intermittently.
    I remember there being a recall for under-crimped Otiker crimp clamps. Some leaked fuel for that reason, probably only on the pressure side, although not in my case even though I could rotate my QDs.
    Last edited by GlobalRider; 08-19-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Replaced O with dots with simple O in Otiker since site would not accept unusual character.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Those of who work on these bikes all the time know it's a very real issue. I've even made house calls to fix broken disconnects.
    It might be Anton, but why have they failed? Abuse in the past?

Sort of like why batteries fail prematurely...there is usually a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Now I update them as a matter of course when I see the old plastic male fitting. Replaced some just this morning in fact.
    Which ones do you use, Anton?

The stock plastic female, and the updated metal male, with crimps, is a great setup
    When did they introduce these, Anton? My bike is an '05 R1200ST.

Thanks.

I finally got around to replacing those...disconnects...Global Rider
    Welcome back from the Alps.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

As to why - just a WAG, but I'd postulate that the plastic was just too brittle for the application.
    (Maybe your old ones petrified in place?)
    The tech doing my upgrade at the time had (has) LOTS of experience, with many other brands also, so I strongly doubt he was careless or clumsy.

Not caused by rough handling. Mine broke when I barely touched it, and I have the most gentle of touches.
    I want to be unique, just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Welcome back from the Alps.
    Another great ride, Rin and another milestone in that it was my 20th year in a row riding there and I'm still not bored of the place. This year, I added Denmark to my list and Skagen as the northern-most point driven to.

As for these OEM Quick Disconnects, I can't understand the variance in durability. I could take a hammer to my old ones and all the plastic would do is deform. Go figure! I kept the OEM QDs as back-ups should they be needed.