Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams dead at 63-

Robin Williams dead at 63-

Well another of Hollywood's funny men has died. I have enjoyed his work for years including Good Morning Vietnam and Good Will Hunting for which he won an Academy Award.
    RIP and thanks for the laughs.

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Just saw that...holy cow.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

If you get a chance to see him on the full 2 hours of the Actors Studio, it's wet your pants funny-

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Cool

R.I.P. Mrs. Doubtfire.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Although Robin Williams made us all laugh, I believe that one of his greatest contributions in life was his devotion to the US Service men and women around the world... I can only think of one other ( Bob Hope ) that gave so much of his time and self to honoring and supporting our troops. I think every service man and women will be saluting him in their own way... He truly was a hero to many.... God bless you Robin for you devotion to the troops!

+1, Gunny; from Afghanistan to Kuwait to Iraq, Robin entertained our troops overseas for the USO! JSNS!

I was in the United States Army from 1968-74; "Good Morning Vietnam" could make you laugh and cry at the same time!

Last edited by beemerdons; 08-13-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Many years ago, I read something saying that suicide would always be a high risk factor for him. I've looked, and haven't been able to find the source. What a huge loss!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post

+1, Gunny; from Vietnam to Iraq and every battle zone in between, Robin entertained our troops! JSNS!
    Not arguing with your sentiments or the intent of the posting, but Robin Williams acting career didn't start until 1978, many years after our withdrawal from Vietnam.

Alas, he was an incredibly intelligent and creative performer haunted by personal demons. I will miss him.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Editorial toon by Mike Peters -

RW.gif

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

Sad

After days of intense speculation about Robin Williams?s private struggles in the wake of his suicide, his widow, Susan Schneider, on Thursday made a stunning revelation: the comic had recently been diagnosed with Parkinson?s disease.

"Robin?s sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson?s disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly,"
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

My Grandmother used to say "It's a great life if you don't weaken".
    Each day, what she was trying to relate, becomes more clear to me.
    OM
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

CBS Sunday Morning just did a fitting tribute to Robin Williams.
    I have not had a lot of luck linking the actual segments to the forum. The segment should show up in a couple of hours- as they load it to their site.
    They also did a nice segment on Lauren Bacall who recently passed.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/sunday-morning/

OM

Here is the direct link- http://www.cbsnews.com/news/robin-wi...-be-forgotten/
    Last edited by Omega Man; 08-17-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: add direct link
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Many years ago, I read something saying that suicide would always be a high risk factor for him. I've looked, and haven't been able to find the source. What a huge loss!
    I'll be your "source"- it's called DEPRESSION! Associated with drug & alcohol abuse-a dangerous combo.

As a former counselor it's a well know fact that people that abuse alcohol & cocaine (like Robin Williams) are at high risk for suicide. Lots of info on the web about the supposed reasons 40,000+ people in USA that commit suicide and his being an entertainer was probably a factor statistically speaking. I'm old enough to have been a Johnathon Winters fan they were known to be great buddies. Just a general half-axx guess but both seemed a bit "off the edge" and into another realm from common folk like me.
    My wife & I both worked as counselors and one thing that's troublesome for us with the rich guys is that "they DO!" have the ability to check-in to rehab AND STAY!!!!!. My wife worked in "public mental health" & we both "took the calls" from her clients that called our home when about to "do it". Not fun stuff, believe me.
    I listened to the Sunday morning Doc show on Fox news last night-we like the show & DVR it. Dr. Siegel made the comment about how many of his clients that are depressed & suicidal and how he always referred them to the "Emergency Room". We looked at each other and wondered if that wasn't sort of like saying "go away"! If a person is in that mode, you don't "send them elsewhere". Left me confused as to his meaning? I doubt there's a person reading this that suicide hasn't touched somewhere near their life.
    When i was in basic training/army1964/Leonard Wood, we had one in basic at rifle range(via rifle in a foxhole shooting position-thankfully down the row from me!) & another in kitchen there via knife at AIT.
    It's common knowledge that insurance plans and lower class incomes don't allow for treatment costs. When I ran a juvy treatment program in late-80's it was 2 weeks and your out cured or not-and you don't "get a fix" in 2 weeks for that stuff! I did have one place-Brookhaven in Louisville,KY I could send certain kids for longer but usually was full for the short treatment cycle of 6 months I had a kid. Then there was Robin Williams, what with $$$ resources$$$ (said to be bankrupt 3 times from the marriages?-so maybe he did it as broke again?) to get help. If I had a rehab program I'd have taken him free, for the publicity value alone...
    I'm now remembering "The Menninger Hospital/Foundation" in my hometown, Topeka,KS. It didn't take long for it to "leak out of the private walls" back then, that Marilyn Monroe or many other movie star types were in there for treatment.
    Any life gone to soon is sad.
    The many teenager suicides bother me far,far more than Robin Williams @ 63 and had many chances to get help.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Have enjoyed Robin since day 1. I still have a hard time believing he is gone.
    RIP my friend.

Here is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFb...yer_detailpage
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Editorial toon by Mike Peters -

RW.gif
    Thank you for the image. Not sure why but this image really helps with the loss of am archetype I have basically known my whole life.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    The many teenager suicides bother me far,far more than Robin Williams @ 63 and had many chances to get help.
    I know a few too, Kentuck! One a bit older than a teen and another young woman to whom my wife and I were legal guardians. We were too late for the young woman, she had been damaged beyond repair by her mother, and her father's friend, who raped her sister. She had been back with her mother for 3 years at the time of her death. Very sweet, and badly damaged, girl -- best friend to 2 of my daughters. Heroin was involved in both cases. She OD'd and died last year, my colleague hung himself several years ago, because as bright as he was, he couldn't find a way off the horse. Both memories are tragic and indelible. I also had to endure my own artistic daughter's suicide poetry when she was 15 or so, accidentally found when repairing/updating her computer. I trust she's way beyond that now, 7 years later. She seems much more stable, yet I keep checking up on her.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)