Thread: 2004 r1150rtp need to add police lights

2004 r1150rtp need to add police lights

just got an 04 r1150rtp that wont start for 1300. figure it is battery, it was parked last fall, wouldnt start in spring.

Anyhow, I am running for sheriff and will be putting reds and blues back on it. Any suggestions on the easy and affordable way to do this?

SMALL county, and out of my own pocket. Hopefully this lets me have a bike I can ride since i can work with it.

I'll help you if you promise not to write me a ticket............

I would contact the wreckers in California that sell off the old RTP's. I understand the lights are removed prior to auction to civilians.
    There must be a pile somewhere.

Or check here: http://www.code3pse.com/products/gro...erior_Lighting
    Last edited by GSAddict; 08-10-2014 at 05:04 AM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

any idea who those wreckers are?
    names

The dealers who initially sell or lease them to public agencies, and then take them back at the end. A&S in Sacramento does (or did) this; there's another dealer (I think) in Southern California too.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

BMW of Eugene, OR has an ad on Craigslist for several RTP's. They are charging an extra $1000 for the required decommissioning. You could give em a call? http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcd/4571107210.html
    Lee
    Wilsonville, OR
    '03 R1150RT, 96K mi

Thank you for the info.

Maybe someone on here has decommissioned theirs. I think they even pulled the extra battery and maybe even the wires.

A place called Hollywood motors in the Los Angles area sells tons of rtps I would try them

RTP Parts

I have an 02 RTP that is a parts bike.... do you need anything else besides the lights?

I do not think so. I looked it over briefly, I am not sure if they removed the wire harness or not. I see one wire on dash area that looks like a headphone jack, but that is it.

I did not see a second battery or any signs that there was one. Not sure where they are supposed to be, but i looked in both side bags and under seat.

It looks like all the front and rear bars are there, not sure if he kept the bolts i did not see any.

The radio box is there but has been swapped out for a rear seat and an aftermarket detachable rear box. I may leave it on for awhile so I can ride the kids. May paint the top of the box white and add the marker lights.

I could really use pictures of the actual police equipment and how it is mounted for refernce if anyone has or can take any.

The official BMW USA website for police bikes is http://www.bmwmc.net
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by sheriffporter View Post
    just got an 04 r1150rtp that wont start for 1300. figure it is battery, it was parked last fall, wouldnt start in spring.

Anyhow, I am running for sheriff and will be putting reds and blues back on it. Any suggestions on the easy and affordable way to do this?

SMALL county, and out of my own pocket. Hopefully this lets me have a bike I can ride since i can work with it.
    You could be in for a major project. Most depts, when they decommission these, butcher the bikes in the process. Think about it from their techs' perspective: You are required to remove the lights, siren etc., but you will never work on it again; no one in your dept will ever ride it again. You're getting paid the same salary whether to put a pretty pink bow on it or just yank and cut the wires. Why take worry about making it easier for the next guy to re-install the LEO parts you're ordered to remove? Sometimes they clip the connectors off the harness leaving the wires too short to crimp new terminals and connectors back on.

If your bike wasn't butchered and you're patient, you can get the parts on Ebay. Someone posted a link to BMW's Authority website which has the installation instructions for the authority equipment and wiring diagrams. If you can contact the dealer that originally sold the bike, maybe you can get them to share the order sheet with you, so you'll know which accessories were installed on your bike. Every dept had different specs and were wired differently. If you know how yours was set up, you'll know what you might be able to easily add back on and what would require more work to retro-fit to your bike.

BTW, the police battery was always installed in the storage compartment on the left side of the gas tank. Very important to have that. Without one, If you're stopped at an incident (accident, ticket writing, etc.) and running the lights and a police radio, you may not have the energy to start the bike and power the wizzy brakes when you're ready get moving again. If you try idling the bike while stopped to keep the battery charged, you'll probably overheat the boxer engine and still won't put out enough juice at idle to power the accessories.

Best of luck and be safe.

Do you still need light? I've got some blue code 3 aluminum base lights I'm not using anymore.