Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Watch for motorcycles

Watch for motorcycles

image.jpgimage.jpg

Friends of mine in a motorcycle ministry were stopped at a stop sign waiting to turn left when they were rear-ended. Pay attention to the sticker in the photo to catch the full irony of this thread. Though it can't or won't be proven I'm sure texting was the cause of this accident. If cars can't see cars stopped in front of them, how will they see a motorcycle? Any lawyers and LEO or retired LEO, judges, or anyone involved in America's judicial system that is an MOA member, can we get behind a campaign of stiffer penalties and higher rates of enforcement to fix this epidemic?
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Friends of mine in a motorcycle ministry were stopped at a stop sign waiting to turn left when they were rear-ended. Pay attention to the sticker in the photo to catch the full irony of this thread. Though it can't or won't be proven I'm sure texting was the cause of this accident. If cars can't see cars stopped in front of them, how will they see a motorcycle? Any lawyers and LEO or retired LEO, judges, or anyone involved in America's judicial system that is an MOA member, can we get behind a campaign of stiffer penalties and higher rates of enforcement to fix this epidemic?
    I'm a bit confused... That looks like the rear end of the car, rather than the front. Who rear ended who?

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    I'm a bit confused... That looks like the rear end of the car, rather than the front. Who rear ended who?
    I'd guess that a motorcycle got rear ended and pushed into the car with the sticker on it. Ironic.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Any lawyers and LEO or retired LEO, judges, or anyone involved in America's judicial system that is an MOA member, can we get behind a campaign of stiffer penalties and higher rates of enforcement to fix this epidemic?
    Hmmmm.....So, in a nation where a significant part of the electorate swears by a "No Tread On Me" philosophy and predicates all opinions on whether "rights" and "privileges" of citizenship were delineated in the original constitution, you want the state and/or federal government to mandate how a person chooses to communicate? Why don't you get that legislation passed in your home state and let the rest of us know how it goes.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

While they're at it, how about tightening up those drug laws so we can fix that too.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

on the plus side, cars will be self driving soon so drivers can text, drink, have sex, whatever. Ain't this a great world?
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

The only way you'll get people to quit texting or calling while driving is to make it hurt to do so (them, not the poor bastard they run over). It's been shown that cell usage lowers your driving ability to that of a drunk driver. Make the penalties the same! Expensive insurance is a good start. Jail time for multiple offenses would go a long way to.

Problem is that it's perceived as a victimless crime and it is, right up until you ruin someones day.

Your right to communicate does NOT trump my right to safely use public roadways.
    Greg
    South Central Valley, CA
    2014 R1200RTW, 2013 Paiggio BV350, 2010 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Your right to communicate does NOT trump my right to safely use public roadways.
    Beyond post roads (those that facilitate the delivery of mail) I don't see another mention of roads in the constitution, but freedom of speech is. I don't see any definitive statements as to your rights to access those post roads.

See.............lunacy always has an answer to render the obvious impossible and the bizarre legitimate.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Beyond post roads (those that facilitate the delivery of mail) I don't see another mention of roads in the constitution, but freedom of speech is. I don't see any definitive statements as to your rights to access those post roads.

See.............lunacy always has an answer to render the obvious impossible and the bizarre legitimate.
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Though not in the constitution, these rights are considered unailiable. So... Your right to text and drive does not trump my right to live. I thought that was common sense, but maybe not. What do you have against safer riding conditions? We have laws concerning DUI we have laws (in Alabama) concerning distracted driving. One is fairly enforced, the other is not. I submit that safety on the road benifits all participants, even silly anarchists.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779

Quote Originally Posted by motorradmike View Post
    I'd guess that a motorcycle got rear ended and pushed into the car with the sticker on it. Ironic.
    No, a car hit a car. It's just the car had a watch for motorcycles sticker on it right where the car made impact. The irony being: if a car can't see a car in front of it, how then can the driver reasonably expect to see a motorcycle, (smaller target). I'm assuming blind people can not obtain a drivers license. Those who willingly blind themselves texting should obtain a drivers license. Makes perfect sense.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    The only way you'll get people to quit texting or calling while driving is to make it hurt to do so (them, not the poor bastard they run over). It's been shown that cell usage lowers your driving ability to that of a drunk driver. Make the penalties the same! Expensive insurance is a good start. Jail time for multiple offenses would go a long way to.

Problem is that it's perceived as a victimless crime and it is, right up until you ruin someones day.

Hey, drunk driving, cell phone conversations and texting while driving ARE all "victimless crimes," until there is a victim. What we have eventually figured out, at least in the case of drunk drivers, is that there is a substantially greater probability of them being involved in (not necessarily causing) a crash if the person's BAC is above .08. Where I live, your insurance is void if your BAC is above .08 and you are in a crash, no matter what the other person did. That's right; in B.C. I believe BAC trumps whatever the other driver did wrong. There are even stiff fines and roadside suspensions for blowing .05. (If you are travelling in my province, never have a second beer with your lunch; and even the first one is probably not a good idea.)

In BC Canada, "hands-free" cell use is legal. This, of course, misses the point that it is the conversation on a phone, not only having one hand on the steering wheel, that causes cell using motorists to have about as many crashes as drinkers at the .08 level. Bad law.

Texting while driving seems to be the equivalent of "very drunk" in terms of not causing or avoiding crashes. You would think that if a person crashed, the first things the cops would do is subpoena there cell phone records. If there is not another person in the vehicle who could have been using the phone, they are screwed. Is this being done in any jurisdiction? Haven't heard of it in mine.

Drinking laws are pretty easy to enforce now - and, no question, there are fewer drunk drivers on the road. Cell phone laws are much harder to detect when there isn't a crash, but quite easy to prove when there is. If the word got out that this was done regularly, and the penalties were severe, might that not have a positive effect?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

What do you have against safer riding conditions? ........... I submit that safety on the road benifits all participants, even silly anarchists.

I have nothing against safer highway condition for all vehicle operators. However, in my state, one side of the political spectrum doesn't do a darn thing without using states like AL as an example of how to do business. So, get those policies enacted and enforced in your state and other states may follow. Until then, you'll have to be content with the status quo.

Doug,
    You got it. My point exactly. Additionally, The MOA has, to my understanding, been out front in rider education, advocacy, and safety historically speaking. I believe the organization has the people with the talent and knowledge to push this safety related issue further. The PSA's no matter how graphic and sobering seem to be having no effect. Stiffer penalties and tighter enforcement I think would go a long way in bring our riders back home safely. If we could just eliminate the texting alone (in my opinion the most dangerous) we could probably save a lot of lives.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779

"Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Doug,
    You got it. My point exactly. Additionally, The MOA has, to my understanding, been out front in rider education, advocacy, and safety historically speaking. I believe the organization has the people with the talent and knowledge to push this safety related issue further. The PSA's no matter how graphic and sobering seem to be having no effect. Stiffer penalties and tighter enforcement I think would go a long way in bring our riders back home safely. If we could just eliminate the texting alone (in my opinion the most dangerous) we could probably save a lot of lives.
    If we can't convince a large segment of our own motorcycle riding brethren to wear helmets (to save their own lives), why would you expect that our "talent and knowledge" would lead the whole driving community to enforce a given code of conduct?