Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New is Always better

Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Douglas Williams
    Yeah? Well did you know that when a tree falls in the forest it does make a sound?
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Appears stream tractor has the new "wet" RT clutch and Hill Assist option...LOL
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

My next door neighbor collects tractors and has a couple of steamers. He drives them around every now and then and they are quite impressive. Not much that can out pull them I imagine.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

When I was a kid they always had a tractor pull at the community harvest festival...in the "city" five miles up the road.

After all the gas and diesel tractors had finished and the sled was loaded for the best modern machine, they hooked up a steam engine that walked away with with the load....and whatever else they added to it.

As a teen, I briefly worked in a small sawmill that was powered by a steam engine. Today, with the open belt that drove the saw blade, planer, etc OSHA would go nuts.

I moved from Chicago to a little town of 200 in Michigan when I was 9 years old. While the Chicago stockyards made it smell like farm, I never saw any steam engines until I moved to the country.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK1200RS View Post
    When I was a kid...........
    My father was a depression era kid, born in 1917. So, he lived thru the whole transition from horse/steam to modern-style tractors.

Therefore, when I was a kid, I was dragged to every nearby steam and antique machinery show, which may have been a factor in my future career choice to be an engineer. In any event, I miss those old antique machinery shows with their array of steam and defunct equipment brands. Sadly, today, we still have the shows, but they've evolved to flea markets and many, many restored John Deere and IH products. The diversity of former manufacturers has dwindled. In many ways, it's like the antique car shows with row after row of Model T and A's. All nicely done, but somewhat boring after the 3rd or 4th entry of the same model.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    My father was a depression era kid, born in 1917. So, he lived thru the whole transition from horse/steam to modern-style tractors.

Therefore, when I was a kid, I was dragged to every nearby steam and antique machinery show, which may have been a factor in my future career choice to be an engineer. In any event, I miss those old antique machinery shows with their array of steam and defunct equipment brands. Sadly, today, we still have the shows, but they've evolved to flea markets and many, many restored John Deere and IH products. The diversity of former manufacturers has dwindled. In many ways, it's like the antique car shows with row after row of Model T and A's. All nicely done, but somewhat boring after the 3rd or 4th entry of the same model.

There are still two here in Ohio. One is in Plain City, just east of Columbus, usually held in July. Called the Steel Wheels show [I think]...The other is during the Pork Fest in Eaton, Ohio usually held in August.

I used to go to both about every 2-3 years, they both were always good. A-LOT of steam represented !

I haven't been for a while now, so if you are really interested ? Check my info first. Ya know how things have a way of just changing? And I think interest in such things has diminished
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Life spans are interesting. I have always thought my grandfather lived during a span of exceptional change. He was born before Custard made his final stand (1876) and died two years after JFK announced our plans for a trip to the moon (1961). From wagon trains and Indians to jets and astronauts...quite the leap.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

I am amazed at the airplane changes from just before WWI even to WWII then on to now. When you figure, dramatic technical advances in less than 100 years!

One of my favorite places to visit (haven't been there in 40 years) is Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI.

You can see the history of nearly everything, and at Greenfield Village, you can see actual buildings, etc. of history.

I may try to go back this year!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

One of my favorite places to go is in Minden NE at the Pioneer Village of the Harold Warp Museum.
    This guy collected everything, it really takes you back!

http://www.pioneervillage.org/
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    I am amazed at the airplane changes from just before WWI even to WWII then on to now. When you figure, dramatic technical advances in less than 100 years!

One of my favorite places to visit (haven't been there in 40 years) is Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI.

You can see the history of nearly everything, and at Greenfield Village, you can see actual buildings, etc. of history.

I may try to go back this year!

I was just there two years ago...second time. It is still amazing! {IMO} allow two days to do it without any rush.

When ya think about The Wright Bros, & Neil Armstrong....in 66 years man went from first flight to landing on the moon ! Pretty damn amazing.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I noticed that the old tractor is like some of us old codgers. We go strong for a little while but then we have to stop to build up steam for another go.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Me too--my Dad was a farm equipment/truck dealer and I've had my fill of old stuff, especially iron stuff. I even never understood tractors with frames, as Fords and Massey-Fergusons used the engine/transmission as stressed members.

I'm sick of pre-1981 BMW bikes, too. I think of smallblock chebbies as boat anchors.

I prefer progress over nostalgia. If you're not looking forward, you're going backward.

What's happening now comes from Germany from Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes and it ain't iron.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Life spans are interesting. I have always thought my grandfather lived during a span of exceptional change. He was born before Custard made his final stand (1876) and died two years after JFK announced our plans for a trip to the moon (1961). From wagon trains and Indians to jets and astronauts...quite the leap.
    Now, I'm depressed. Man walked on the moon in 1969, when I was 9-yrs old. That same year, the 747 had it's maiden flight.

What can we say we've done since? Yes, we have a PC for emails and smartphones with $1200/yr data plans. Oh, and we're really good at assessing financial risk and liability.........
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    What's happening now comes from Germany from Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes and it ain't iron.
    The hybrid and e-drive stuff is very interesting, but whole "connectivity" and dashboard as computer game is of minimal interest to me. Hands-free Bluetooth operation of my cell phone is about all I ask. After that, "connectivity" is just noise.