Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil???

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    I've stopped using any Lucas products, they didn't seem to do any good.
    My question is, "How did you determine that they weren't doing any good?"

I am not saying either way - that they were or were not, but I am just curious how you determined your view?

This is one of the perennial problems with any additive - the ability to objectively verify their benefit/waste.

I have over the years heard good things about Marvel Mystery and use it to do some special oiling (guns, etc.) and have heard good things about it when used both as a gasoline additive and as an oil additive in the crankcase. I think one of its great advantages is that it is highly detergent which loosens deposits here and there - esp. in hydraulic lifters.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    My question is, "How did you determine that they weren't doing any good?"

I am not saying either way - that they were or were not, but I am just curious how you determined your view?

This is one of the perennial problems with any additive - the ability to objectively verify their benefit/waste.

I have over the years heard good things about Marvel Mystery and use it to do some special oiling (guns, etc.) and have heard good things about it when used both as a gasoline additive and as an oil additive in the crankcase. I think one of its great advantages is that it is highly detergent which loosens deposits here and there - esp. in hydraulic lifters.
    Just like any other seat of the pants impression that the bike was running better or not. When I was unable to determine any benefit,I stopped using the Lucas product & again no change was apparent. I was looking for smoother running better starting, cleaner combustion chamber & plugs. The TCW3 has cleaned up the bike engine & several 4 stroke yard machine type engines. one simple example When removing the bike plugs I no longer start with the crunch/grind of carbon being pushed out of the plug threads as I have for a long time. The plugs come out smooth as silk.

As far as MMO, I was having a lot of tappet noise in my van. The mechanic added the MMO to the oil & magically the noise stopped. Feeling that the problem was cured & perhaps some fouling had been cleared I changed the oil M-1 5W30 as before. and surprise surprise the noise was back. I surmised that the removal of deposits was not what was going on. Another bottle of MMO & all was well. I have to believe that most additives are snake oil that somehow makes us feel that we are doing good things for the machine.

Just like any other seat of the pants impression that the bike was running better or not. When I was unable to determine any benefit,I stopped using the Lucas product & again no change was apparent. I was looking for smoother running better starting, cleaner combustion chamber & plugs. The TCW3 has cleaned up the bike engine & several 4 stroke yard machine type engines. one simple example When removing the bike plugs I no longer start with the crunch/grind of carbon being pushed out of the plug threads as I have for a long time. The plugs come out smooth as silk.

As far as MMO, I was having a lot of tappet noise in my van. The mechanic added the MMO to the oil & magically the noise stopped. Feeling that the problem was cured & perhaps some fouling had been cleared I changed the oil M-1 5W30 as before. and surprise surprise the noise was back. I surmised that the removal of deposits was not what was going on. Another bottle of MMO & all was well. I have to believe that most additives are snake oil that somehow makes us feel that we are doing good things for the machine.
    You very well could be right!

BTW, what is TCW3 ?? I've racked by brain (such as I have) and can't come up with anything.

For me, what Lucas claims is pretty much undetectable by observational use. The oil additive is supposed to "stick" to the metal surfaces better when the engine stops running, therefore allowing it to be lubricated when started the next time. Regular oils - esp. the lower weights used now-a-days is so runny that it drains down to the crankcase when hot and not much left for cold starts.

I don't know - but I hope I will get around 500,000 miles on my Toyota!!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

TC-W3 is just a rating for 2-cycle oil. Recommended for use in most marine engines, but can be used in all 2-cycle engines. It has to meet certain criteria in order to be rated TC-W3. I buy it by the gallon at Fleet Farm and use it in everything...
    1984R100RT

Living on the trailing edge of technology...

An alternative to MMO is 1 oz per 5 gallons of fuel of TCW3 rated two stroke marine engine oil.

MMO did quiet a noisy valve train on my former 1996 Windstar van (roller tappets no less!)

I have a friend who feels that MMO is the best oil for keeping compressed air powered tools lubricated.

I've stopped using any Lucas products, they didn't seem to do any good.
    Which is why I still have some on hand - air tool lubrication.
    1973 R75/5

Nick Kennedy
    I also have a good experience with MMO fixing sticky valve tappets in 2 high mile vehicles. They are a pain when they make noise.
    One way to approach this is to pour a quart in with say 700 miles left on a oil change. Left the stuff do its thing and dissolve a bunch of deposits.
    Change the oil and filter and put another quart in the crankcase and run it through its next oil change cycle.
    Then just change the oil and filter with no MMO.
    See what happens.
    It may work and it is way easier and cheaper than doing any mechanical work on a engine you just need to use and are not willing to put any money into like my 1995 Pathfinder with 370,000 miles.
    Nick Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    I also have a good experience with MMO fixing sticky valve tappets in 2 high mile vehicles. They are a pain when they make noise.
    One way to approach this is to pour a quart in with say 700 miles left on a oil change. Left the stuff do its thing and dissolve a bunch of deposits.
    Change the oil and filter and put another quart in the crankcase and run it through its next oil change cycle.
    Then just change the oil and filter with no MMO.
    See what happens.
    It may work and it is way easier and cheaper than doing any mechanical work on a engine you just need to use and are not willing to put any money into like my 1995 Pathfinder with 370,000 miles.
    Nick Kennedy
    I have heard, though do not defend, nor adhere to, that doing as you describe will work, but it will have some negative effects. The "sludge" (for want of a better word) or crud that is being eliminated from the hyd. lifters, will then leave a gap, as it was "plugging" up that wear, which in turn will allow the oil to get by! Some guys say it is better on an old engine to just simply leave all that crud in there to help it hold oil!

Don't subscribe to it, but I am just sayin' that some people do say it!

You guys are taking the marvel and the mystery out of this stuff.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost