Thread: There are trips and there are roads...

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar

There are trips and there are roads...

A friend of ours just returned from riding her Harley to Fairbanks Alaska from Illinois and back. The road is paved...but not all the time...and not everywhere . Frost heaves, pot holes, rain, dust, mud, cold, heat, and so on.
    Her comment this morning at breakfast was..."You know...the Tail of the Dragon is just some road with a bunch of curves"...
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    .................the Tail of the Dragon is just some road with a bunch of curves"...
    And 100 less then promised, 220 at best, no where near the 318 on the tee shirts.

Some of my most memorable times on 2 wheels were on the road less traveled.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

We've ridden the roads between Alaska and the states a dozen times or so. Can't wait for the next trip.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    We've ridden the roads between Alaska and the states a dozen times or so. Can't wait for the next trip.
    A quick question! When would be the best time to schedule a ride up to Fairbanks Alaska based on least mosquito issues? I was thinking of planning a ride up next July after or just before the rally in Montana, but after fighting the mosquito's in the UP, I'm not so sure that July is the month to ride up there. Any alternate dates would surely be appreciated. BTW, I'm not interested in going up to Prudhoe Bay, just up through Fairbanks to see some of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    A quick question! When would be the best time to schedule a ride up to Fairbanks Alaska based on least mosquito issues? I was thinking of planning a ride up next July after or just before the rally in Montana, but after fighting the mosquito's in the UP, I'm not so sure that July is the month to ride up there. Any alternate dates would surely be appreciated. BTW, I'm not interested in going up to Prudhoe Bay, just up through Fairbanks to see some of the state.
    I lived in the Fairbanks area for 30+ years, and have ridden to/from the lower 48 countless times. The mosquitoes in the Fairbanks area are largely dependent upon the surface water. Spring in Fairbanks is called "break-up" and is when the snow melts. The more moisture/standing water, the worse they usually are. The first ones to emerge on the smallest ones, and they are the worst as far as biting. If you avoid the spring you will avoid the worst of those. The rest of the year it will typically be dependent upon rainfall as to how bad they are. It is a very hard thing to predict, and when they are bad, they are worse than most folks could ever imagine. Get one or two in your tent at night and it is truly the pits.

This summer has been a wet one so far up there, with near record rain fall. July or August are both good months to go, but it's impossible to predict what the bugs may be like. Take along good repellent with plenty of DEET in it and just put up with them.

A quick question! When would be the best time to schedule a ride up to Fairbanks Alaska based on least mosquito issues? Late February. I was thinking of planning a ride up next July after or just before the rally in Montana, but after fighting the mosquito's in the UP, I'm not so sure that July is the month to ride up there. Any alternate dates would surely be appreciated. BTW, I'm not interested in going up to Prudhoe Bay, just up through Fairbanks to see some of the state.
    June is the driest month and the days are long. In late May to early June the first generation of mosquitos are in full bloom. The first generation are big, slow and easier to avoid/repel. Once the subsequent generations are online it can get pretty bad pretty quick. Things change from year to year. There are years where the bees and wasps are everywhere and then there are years where the are scant. There are always plenty of skeeters, but like the bees the numbers can vary greatly from year to year. Good bug dope and plenty of it, along with a head net are what is needed. Remember, it is not just Alaska skeeters you'll be dealing with. The Canadians are pretty good breeders as well. We've ridden and camped often in Alaska and on the roads between and I can only recall one time where we were miserable because of bugs and that was black flies on the Denali highway.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Cowboyatheart
    Can guarantee none in January. You might want to ride a ural with a hack though.

Neil TasteMoringa.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

A quick question! When would be the best time to schedule a ride up to Fairbanks Alaska based on least mosquito issues? I was thinking of planning a ride up next July after or just before the rally in Montana, but after fighting the mosquito's in the UP, I'm not so sure that July is the month to ride up there. Any alternate dates would surely be appreciated. .
    I was in Alaska back in Aug. - Sept. 1990, traveled from Anchorage to Fairbanks to Circle and if the temp was above 40 degrees and the wind was below 10 mph, the mosquitos were out. I wouldn't let the mosquitos keep me from going, Alaska is incredible and worth the trip.