Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Harley Recall

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    I see this Harley issue no different at all than a common issue some of us (including me) have experienced with sudden FPC failures on our BMWs. I was on an extremely busy expressway in the Left hand lane with no escape route travelling ~120Kph surrounded by cars and most importantly one very close behind me when mine failed. RTs slow down REAL FAST with no fuel and I can say I had a few seconds of great concern as I managed to squeeze left as far as possible against the median to avoid being hit from behind. There is no BMW recall for the replacement part even though I firmly believe this is an issue that compromises safety. They do have a different recall for the potential water ingress issue however that was not I experienced what my bike.

Therefore I do acknowledge Harley as recognizing a safety issue and at least responding to it. In BMWs cause it was not acknowledged or responded to.
    GM recently recalled a bunch of new vehicles for inaccurate fuel gauges. http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/03/auto...all/index.html
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    "Most recent" models went back to floats...strips are history like their "power" brakes.
    If your statement is fact, it raises other questions: 1. Can the float system give the digital readouts of the strip system? 2. If so, why did BMW not replace faulty strips with a float system? Or did they start using float systems again before they found "the final answer" to the fuel strip problem? And I am questioning whether they did.

I think it fair to say that very few of us care how our gas gauge (or digital readout work.) We simply want it to be pretty accurate and not have a flashing light when you know you have a half tank of fuel.

So, has this problem been resolved for new bikes and have the folks with problems had them resolved without charge?

Am I asking the right questions?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

The first K bikes had fuel strips and BMW had to go to floats due to the strips being no good. Looks like that lesson was lost in the following years.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Quote Originally Posted by roncooper View Post
    The first K bikes had fuel strips and BMW had to go to floats due to the strips being no good. Looks like that lesson was lost in the following years.
    OK, since I owned number 30 of the initial US production lot of the K75c (1986) and it had no fuel strip (just a low fuel level warning light), what early K-models are you talking about?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    How would a defective fuel-level sensor cause you to run out of fuel?
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Cool 5600 rpm????

....wow....really spinnin'.....eh??????
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider