Thread: I have the Wethead Bug

I have the Wethead Bug

I am pondering trading my 07 R12GS in for a 14 R12GSW. It appears the new bike has lots of upgrades over my current ride, admittedly not actually necessary ones for my continuing BMW ownership, but when you get the bug what does that matter.. The one upgrade that I am really looking forward to is cruise control. I have used cruise in another bike and love it.

You guys that have the new GS Wetheads, are there any regrets? I would like to hear from others who have made a similar move. The 07 still puts a grin on my face every time I ride it, and to continue riding it would not be a bad thing at all. I just want to know how the 14 stacks up to it.

I am looking at the alpine white. I've lusted for a white GS and even thought about painting my 07 at one time.

Talk me into it, talk me out of it. I would sure like some feedback!

Thanks.

Rich

No regrets. I went from an '05 GS to a '13 GSW. Yes, cruise control is much better than an after marker throttle lock.

I custom ordered my bike as there were specific things I DIDN'T want (the GPS prep kit, for one). I did want Dynamic ESA and riding modes. I know some are not fans of ESA, but as best as I can tell most of the negative comments come from people who have never ridden the new bike. They are thinking of the old ESA which was not much more than a convenience add on to change preload and damping. Dynamic ESA is a different animal. I think the Dynamic ESA on my GSW is better than the Ohlins I had on the GS. The big unknown is how long will they last. Until I have to replace or rebuild (assuming rebuild is an option) I'm a very happy camper. I should note that my riding weight is probably close to BMWs design level. If I weighed in at 250 pounds I might feel different about the suspension.

Switching the riding mode from Enduro to Dynamic is like switching bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I am pondering trading my 07 R12GS in for a 14 R12GSW.
    Recommend trading for a 2015 rather than a 2014 GS. The 2015's will have the heavier crankshaft/flywheel of the GSA. I have ridden the GS and the GSA and the throttle response on the GSA is significantly smoother.
    2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s. Gone: 97 F650st, 04 R1100s, 78 R80/7, 76 Honda 750F, Maico 400, Husqvarna 360 8 speed, Honda SL-350, Suzuki 250 Savage, Honda 175SL, Bonanza 100.

My soon to be wife has a 2014 GSW and we both love it. I've dragged my knee with her on the back and she's embarrassed a few sportbikes on twisty roads. We've done 800 mile days with her GSW and my camhead RT. Her GSW does nice power wheelies. The difference in the feel of the clutch alone is worth upgrading. I want a GSW now.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Thanks for the responses. The wife says buy. And she is the boss.

I too have the itch. I was debating the purchase of a 1951 restored Willies army jeep but that has 99% fallen through and I'm really just looking for an investment and I can't think of a better one then my riding pleasure.

Whatever you do, don't test ride one, or you will want it.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

During bike week in Daytona, oh around 2003 or 04 I test rode a 1150GS and I loved it comparing to my 81 R80GS it was amazing. I have thought about a used one and I'm think there might be a lot to choose from as GS riders sell theirs to upgrade?
    If I buy a new one I'll wait for the 2015's to hit the floor and either get a left over 2014 at a hopefully reduced price or the 2015 and get the latest greatest. Time will tell?

Personally, I think the wethead update is one of the most significant BMW has ever done. I had a '13 R1200RT camhead and traded it in on a '14 R1200GW and am still amazed at the difference. The wethead is a total game changer, paradigm shift, or whatever trendy description you like. My GS is literally the best motorcycle I have ever owned, and that spans about 45 years of riding. It is not better on the road than the camhead, but of course I can now go dualsporting (within reason). As long as I avoid the temptation to head down those interesting looking singletracks it does quite nicely offroad. The electronic riding controls are magic and just plain work -- they've already saved my butt a few times, both on and off the road.

Don't ride one if you're not prepared to write a check!
    Randy
    CURRENT: R1200GSW, R75/7
    PAST BMWs: 2013 R1200RT, 2002 R1150RT, 1982 R100RS, 1993 K1100RS, 1993 K1100LT, 1989 R100RT, 1978 R80/7

I have taken the plunge. Thanks for the replies. This thing is totally amazing, to say the least.

Welcome to the dark side.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT