Thread: F700GS w/ trailer

F700GS w/ trailer

Every thing about our bike trip from Michigan to Alaska is complete except for this: We can' find anyone who is willing to wire my BushTec trailer to my F700GS.
    We are running out of time!

Quote Originally Posted by WOODY8023 View Post
    Every thing about our bike trip from Michigan to Alaska is complete except for this: We can' find anyone who is willing to wire my BushTec trailer to my F700GS.
    We are running out of time!
    While this isn't really a ride report, let's see if we can generate some help for you.....I can always move it
    I've wired a number of things and I don't know how things would tap into the BMW CANBUS way of doing things. In the old days, when I needed isolation, I would use something like this-

http://www.towready.com

This is essentially an isolation device that picks up 12V from the battery and distributes it to the trailer without being attached to the bike in a normal 12V drain sense.
    While I have used the older version, this kind of device "picks" a signal off say the turn signal lead using just enough voltage to light an LED. The "lit" LED has a corresponding sensor that "sees" the LED and switches the trailer light on- power is direct from the battery.
    I don't know if it's a knowledge thing or apprehension to mess with a new bike that you are running into. I don't know if my example will work but If I needed to do it, without any other examples available, I'd start with something like this. The extremely low draw may still register as a bulb fault on the dash.
    It will be interesting to see how this works out.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I'd contact Electrical Connections in Knoxville, TN. They make a trailer converter that I used for K1600GT. Should be able to use the same for your BMW...
    NoVA
    '12 K1600GT

Bushtec makes a wiring isolator. They are not difficult to install. The isolator is connected directly to the battery through a fuse. Then you tap into the wiring harness which puts no load on the canbus system.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R100/7,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOAL, AMA, CMA