Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big oil mess

Big oil mess

We've had a heat wave here, and the plastic jug I bought for used oil storage (yeah it was designed for it) burst dumping a bunch of oil on the floor. Any suggestions on how to clean up the mess. Luckily it's in corner where I don't travel much. I wont have time until this weekend to clean it up.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Nitrile Gloves and lots of brake cleaner.
    Soak up as much as you can with paper towels then start with the brake cleaner. Depending on the finish of the concrete it should get all of it.
    Greg
    South Central Valley, CA
    2014 R1200RTW, 2013 Paiggio BV350, 2010 Yamaha TW200

Throw down some kitty litter...maybe some laundry soap like tide powder.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    That works most awesome.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

na1g
    +1 on the kitty litter (speedy-dry) and powdered detergent (not soap). Works great on oil spills (don't ask!)

And thanks for bringing up the issue of storing oil in hot weather. It's upwards of 95 here right now and the oil was put in a jug back when the temp was around 50 so there has been some expansion. And since I drained exactly 4 L out of the RT, poured 4L of new oil into the RT, and then poured the used oil into the 4L jug, there isn't any room for expansion. I'm going out to the garage right now to check on the jugs. Great, now I have to check used oil pressures in addition to tire pressures.

pete

I predict before we are done here, we'll have a brand new oil thread- "What is the best container to store your used oil in during hot weather?" "And does it matter if it's regular or synthetic?".

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Also rub the kitty litter with a brick and really grind it in. You will be amazed. Then I would try the brake clean.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

3 Red Bricks
    As with anything, the longer you wait to clean it up, the more stain will be left. There will be a permanent stain by this weekend.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I predict before we are done here, we'll have a brand new oil thread- "What is the best container to store your used oil in during hot weather?" "And does it matter if it's regular or synthetic?".
    Don't know what is best, but a gallon milk jug is one of the worst. Seems to break down within a week or so after filling with oil, regardless of temperature. Recycle ASAP.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

What do we do when the jug's sight glass blows out???

and is it ok if the level is an eighth-inch above or below the dot?

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    For those that play with wood, sawdust works great too.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I use a five gallon plastic gas can, one of the red pre-EPA models. When it's close to full I haul it to the local FLAPS and dump it in their recycle tank. I've used it for several years without incident and it gets pretty warm around here in the summer (114F today).

Kitty litter works great for oil spills.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

I use the five gallon plastic jugs that the kitty litter comes in.

If you use the Brake Cleaner in significant amounts and in an enclosed area you should use an appropriate respirator/protector.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Not to sound as if "I know so much" but oil spills are everyday in a shop & oil cleanup with clay (aka kitty litter) is old stuff. Why pay more for kitty litter-is there some reason to have perfumed oil spills???
    Wally world sells clay in a bag as does most AP stores & costs less.
    Beware!-sawdust works OK but becomes flammable after oil soaked so careful you do with the contaminated sawdust! Not many "good places" for oil soaked sawdust. There was a time when it was fairly common the use it for floor sweeping to pick up dust-OHSA stopped that practice, as did common sense/fire safety.
    Paper towels-why cut down a tree to clean up oil? newspaper would do the same thing but still your dumping oil into a landfill-a nono! Honestly, I don't know where the leftover cleanup stuff (like clay) should go?
    I save dirty oil in the jugs it came in & dump at AP's store in the back. I "get ahead" on "dirty oil space" via 5 gal pails from lacquer thinner buys or paint pails.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    And thanks for bringing up the issue of storing oil in hot weather. It's upwards of 95 here right now and the oil was put in a jug back when the temp was around 50 so there has been some expansion. And since I drained exactly 4 L out of the RT, poured 4L of new oil into the RT, and then poured the used oil into the 4L jug, there isn't any room for expansion. I'm going out to the garage right now to check on the jugs. Great, now I have to check used oil pressures in addition to tire pressures.

pete
    Keep in mind, I had purchased a large used oil container at the local hardware store. While I had filled it up somewhat, it was still mostly air in there. I'm sure it was the air that expanded to burst the container and not the oil.
    Last edited by 88bmwjeff; 07-25-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer