Thread: RIP James Garner~ dead at 86

RIP James Garner~ dead at 86

Looks like Hollywood has lost another of it's great actors. I always enjoyed the talent he brought to the screen and could appreciate how he could work any medium. James starred in westerns, detective stories, love stores, war stories, musicals and even at least one Space (Cowboy) stories. While some may not remember, James starred in a Polaroid TV ad with Mariette Hartley that was so good, people thought they were actually husband and wife.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Sad to hear. I am a big fan of his work. He had such an easygoing manner to his acting, you felt like he was a regular guy. Never afraid to poke fun at himself either.

Here's one of the Polaroid ads for the younger crowd that never saw one. I think they sold so many cameras from these ads that the actors asked for and received large raises to do them year after year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt82z_GUCKw&sns=em

He was from a bygone era in Hollywood. One which will never be seen again what with all of the Political Correctness.

Not only a veteran and great actor he had a very respectable motorsports career, too.
    Ken
    2004 R1150RT
    2013 F800R

Quote Originally Posted by rhyeks View Post
    Not only a veteran and great actor he had a very respectable motorsports career, too.
    Jimmy-Jo Meeker?
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPhilD View Post
    He was from a bygone era in Hollywood. One which will never be seen again what with all of the Political Correctness.
    Perhaps, that is why James Garner participated in the 1963 march on Washington.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I just read the "wiki" on Garner-very interesting life (I generally care little for Hollywood banter) and he certainly was very active in politics. Not sure your "correctness" applies here? A "man of the people" given his upbringing. Read it, very entertaining.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I was saddened when I heard the news of his passing. As was stated initially, James Garner was a very talented and versatile actor. I don't believe he ever received the accolades he deserved for his work.

na1g
    I fondly remember as a kid watching "Maverick" with my brother and father. Good fun in the era of serious shoot-em-up TV westerns. Followed by "Rockford Files" which was also good fun in the era of shoot-em-up TV detectives. His role as the scrounger in "The Great Escape" was wonderful, too. If you have never seen it, watch "The Americanization Of Emily", a romantic anti-war movie that your significant other will enjoy, too.

The man made a wide range of movies ("Victor-Victoria") and was the anti-Hollywood star in real life. Godspeed, Jim.

pete

I remember those Polaroid ads! They were rather good.

Motorsports: He was friends with Carroll Shelby. I used to know some of the Shelbys, and I can recall the Old Man telling a story once about being at lunch with Garner not long after Garner had had some minor plastic surgery on his eyebrows. Shelby told us that he said, "Jimmy, looks like they didn't quite get 'em even," and how Garner waited long enough to not seem panicked then excused himself, and was in the restroom long enough that Shelby just KNEW that Garner was obsessively checking his brows. Shelby of course was pulling his leg about them being uneven!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Issac Hayes called him "Rockfish".
    Man, was he smooth.
    Thanks Jim

na1g
    And don't forget his role in "Gran Prix", the best car racing movie ever.

His brother was my son's elementary school principal in Norman, OK. Family name is Bumgarner.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Cool

Amen to that.

I will miss his work.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

I think the opposite of political correctness is also to blame. The American public, by and large, idolize celebrities for the wrong reasons, IMO. People don't praise them for their body of work, they like to see them do outrageous things. Put out a sex tape with someone that's not your spouse, and you'll earn several hundred million dollars in under ten years.