Thread: Procedures for getting separated on a long trip

Procedures for getting separated on a long trip

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are traveling from Connecticut to St. Paul for the MOA Rally. It will be the longest trip either of us has taken to date. I am hoping some of the more experienced riders will be willing to share suggestions on how to deal with getting separated while traveling new roads - like sudden weather conditions, flash flood, accident. Basically anything that would cause us to get separated. We do NOT have an intercom system, only cell phones and gps.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

See you in St. Paul

Tom

In all honesty it's not that hard for 2 riders to stay together while traveling. You guys should be fine.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by tsweda View Post
    Hi everyone,

My friend and I are traveling from Connecticut to St. Paul for the MOA Rally. It will be the longest trip either of us has taken to date. I am hoping some of the more experienced riders will be willing to share suggestions on how to deal with getting separated while traveling new roads - like sudden weather conditions, flash flood, accident. Basically anything that would cause us to get separated. We do NOT have an intercom system, only cell phones and gps.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

See you in St. Paul

Tom
    Years ago, on our first long trip, my buddy and I agreed on the following: if we get separated (in traffic most likely) each of us would proceed to the first safe place to pull off the road and we would both stop, turn on our phones and begin calling the other one. BTW, when you do this make sure you can identify correctly exactly where you are calling from ("I'm somewhere in Illinois" does no good).

And to set your mind at ease, we did use the procedure one time ... and it worked fine.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Oops

Try as hard as you may, two riders can still get separated. On my first long trip, my riding partner, who was following me, ended up exiting the highway thinking that I was also taking that ramp. Seems hard to do, but it happens. The suggested of finding the first safe place to stop and then calling is the best advice. The second best advice is, don't worry and stay calm.

Enjoy your trip.

See you in St. Paul
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT

Don't assume you will both have adequate cell phone coverage. In congested urban areas you might. But you might not. You probably ought to have a non-electronic backup plan. Ours is to contact the Sheriff's office in the county where you last saw the other person. Why Sherrif and County. Because in some areas it is hard to tell what city you might be in.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    ... Ours is to contact the Sheriff's office in the county where you last saw the other person....
    This is a good idea, Paul. But what do you do in one of those Arizona counties this is as big as most New England states? It might be an all-day ride just to find the sheriff.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Each should have the copy of the same map of the trip. On the map would be planned stops, secondary "where did you go" stops, food and gas stops. No cell service can be a problem so planned meet up times can be factored in. Once you get going you will be able to get a good "ride rhythm" going and the whole thing should be fine. Once a partner disappears it's time to go to the plan as getting an hour away while someone has a flat or stomach bug will start playing tricks with the mind.
    It'a also good to make a note of the time that the partner disappeared. Sometimes staying put on the intended route is the best move but it is real hard siting on the side of the highway- wondering.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I like Paul's idea and will add it to our plans.

We try to have a rally point that we know we will stop at. Generally it is a small town along our route that we designate that we will use to link up if we become separated.

It is also good to have a designated third party (brother/sister for example) that you will call.

To be honest we've gotten lax in doing these things.
    Last edited by akbeemer; 07-17-2014 at 02:33 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Usually the night before each day's ride my partners and I discuss where we're planning on being the next day, proposed routes. And we usually manage to stay within sight of each other, within about a half-mile. Been working well for 15 years.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    This is a good idea, Paul. But what do you do in one of those Arizona counties this is as big as most New England states? It might be an all-day ride just to find the sheriff.
    Find a way - landline probably - to call the Sheriff's office and leave a message with you specific location to pass on to the other person. First person to contact the Sheriff's office stays put - the other comes to him/her.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Cowboyatheart
    Each buy a delorme in reach SE. Get the plan, pair with your cell and text each other via Sattelite when you don't have cell service.

It's got emergency response alert and rescue and tons of other features.

Neil TasteMoringa.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO