Thread: BMW Bearing Grease

BMW Bearing Grease

Picked up new steering head bearings + races for my R90/6 at the local dealer and it t seems that the original part was superceded by p/n 31 42 7 663 941 which is currently used on the G650 bikes. As far as I can tell from looking at them, the only difference is the $$$.

Something else I noticed is that they're packed with a yellow, waxy looking grease. I've only ever used red bearing grease of a completely different consistency and asked whether this was just on the bearings to prevent corrosion while they are in storage. The guy at the counter said BMW bearings come pre-packed from the factory now and they're ready for use.

Anyone else experienced this? I could clean and repack, but obviously wouldn't bother if it's not necessary.
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

Personally, I'd want to know what the grease was, so if there's any doubt, there will be doubt. Probably best to clean up and use what you're comfortable with. Peace of mind!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Personally, I'd want to know what the grease was, so if there's any doubt, there will be doubt. Probably best to clean up and use what you're comfortable with. Peace of mind!
    After some searching it looks like BMW is using Shell Retinax EP2, though I can't seem to find any US stores that carry it. It's probably fine, but when I pack bearings they look like a greasy mess, maybe I'm just not used to seeing bearings packed with German efficiency (or Japanese since that's where the bearings are made)
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

Considering what those bearings do, I would think an good quality, brand name bearing or lubricating grease would do.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

How will you get the races out and the bearing off the stem?

Quote Originally Posted by r80andr100rt View Post
    How will you get the races out and the bearing off the stem?
    I have the cyckeworks puller. Easy peasy