Thread: 2000 k1200rs

2000 k1200rs

While still owning 2 airheads, an 84 R100 and an 82 R100RS, I have taken a step into the dark side. I just purchased a 2000 K1200RS. the bike has 25000 miles on it and is very clean. First order of business will be a major service, as it has not been serviced for a few years, then I will ride it to the best of my ability. The airheads were faster than I am and this machine is MUCH faster than I am, but I wanted something more modern. The colors are the silver and blue zebra.

What should I be on the lookout for? (other than highway patrol?)

Make sure the plastic fuel line quick disconnects have been replaced with metal ones. The metal ones from Beemerboneyard look like chrome and you can see them on the right side through the opening in the fairing.

The rear seal can leak. Check the seam between the trans and engine for seepage.

This picture shows the metal QDs

Bob, I-BMW.com is a great site for info on the K1200RS http://www.i-bmw.com/index.php?
    Last edited by Lee; 07-09-2014 at 01:54 AM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

+1 on the Quick Disconnects! Look for them at Beemer Boneyard, Pirate's Lair, or wherever fine BMW parts are sold. As Lee said, look through the brake side opening, over the crankcase, and you should see at least one of the QD's. The "tupperware" has to come off to do the swap. Use that as a good time to check the air filter, run wires for farkles, etc.

The tranny will sound like a box of rocks at idle. "Don't worry, they all do that". Really.

If, by some chance, the battery is low, the blinking ABS light may not go out once you start rolling. If you have the "blinking light won't quit" problem, charge the battery and see if all is well. I've seen this on the RS and on an R1150RT.

If you get really bored, two mods worth looking into are replacing the rubber brake lines with stainless lines (do it with the major service - the rear brake is DIY, the front not so much; bleeding the ABS takes skill and experience), and ?hlin shocks front and back. I'm usually not very keen on "I just bought, I'm going to change stuff". Changing the QD's (DIY), changing the brake lines, and changing the shocks (well, DIY but it helps to have experience with setting up suspensions) are moves to the good. The PO of my '03 KRS very nicely did the ?hlins for me.

Past that, I found it was far too easy to outride the headlight. That is, even at generally legal speeds, the lights weren't showing me what was 4-5 seconds ahead of me. I replaced the low beam with a DDM Tuning HID kit. Properly aimed (stay low and right of the normal aiming point - blinding oncoming traffic is Not Good), life is very good. I also installed a DDM Tuning HID high beam. I'm happy with it but... it's a PITA to install correctly. These HID's take 2-3 seconds to come to full brightness. On the low beam, so what. On the high beam, forget flashing someone unless the lamp was just used, and sometimes you just have to plan ahead until the light is at full brightness.

FWIW, the low beam installation is dead easy (everything plugs together and the ballast plugs into the existing bike socket). The only gotacha is drilling a hole in the dust shield to feed the wiring through. IIRC the hole is 1 1/8" diameter (measure three times, cut once) - see your local hardware store or box store for the right hole saw. There's a shelf on the clutch side of the front frame where you can clamp the ballast down (I used 3M's "magic fingers" strips - used for EasyPass transponders on windshields).

Oh, and while I'm spending your money, after you recover from the cost of the brake lines, shocks, etc., think about moving to a Nautilus air horn. I have one on the KRS and one on our 1990 VW Westphalia camper. Both work like a cattle prod to wake up texting drivers.

This is a farkle pure and simple: LED panel lights. I like 'em. Get the dimmest yellow, blue, and green LED's possible for the tell-tale lights. A brilliant blue high beam LED is... I wish it were dimmer. Ditto for the SET yellow LED for the cruise control. The red LED's aren't an issue around the clocks and bright red tell-tale LED's are a Good Thing. Do not install a LED in the charging or battery indicator!!! For whatever reason, that light's wiring somehow passes through the neutral sense switch. In the end, the wrong lights go on at the wrong time. It's weird, I don't see an obvious explanation in the wiring diagram, but BTDT, removed the LED.

HID's... A) AFAIK, they don't meet Federal DoT standards and some states (Louisiana comes quickly to mind) don't allow them. B) Aim them wrong, and you'll ruin someone else's day and they'll ruin yours.

A) Pennsylvania has an annual vehicle inspection. My HID's have never flunked inspection. Stick with the low Kelvin ratings (color temperature - higher numbers are bluer). Anything over 5000K will begin to make the HID blue enough to possibly get LEO's attention. 35 watt HID's are quite enough. 55 watt HID's are fine for off-road use, but not street use.

B) Not much to add here.

DDM Tuning... I've bought four sets of HID's from them. Two for the KRS and two for the Westy. The price is right, the stuff works in all weather. Their tech support is OK but not overwhelming. Fortunately this stuff is electrically dead easy. The lamp bases fit the right headlight bases. After that, not much support is needed anyway. My one gripe is they are serious about the re-stocking fee. I ordered some LED's from them and had to return them (I got the socket type wrong). That was a somewhat spendy learning experience. Yes, the HID's come from China. Meh - so what else is new?

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with any of the companies mentioned above save as a customer.
    Last edited by RBEmerson; 08-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    When installing the HID.....if you can't find your hole saws, go get one. I could not find mine and thought I would take a shortcut and use a spade bit. It 'worked', but the hole is not really round. At least the grommet seals.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Oh so very, very true! Don't price replacement dust covers unless you're seated and sedated. Hole saws are cheaper.
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

When I did my GT I bought the hole saw that the instructions called for. Of course it drilled about a 1/16" oversize and then the grommet fit like crap. Were I to do it again I would get an undersized saw and file the hole out to fit the grommet.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

Thanks all,
    I am having local BMW guru Steve Prokop look at the bike and replace all its fluids and filters and he reports I need a new steering damper. A thread on another forum reports (a) it is unnecessary (b) Hyperpro through Pirates Lair is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

A working damper is good. A high bucks damper? Can't say as the stock damper let me down, even when ...um... satisfying the need for speed. YMMV.

FWIW, I just replaced the fuel line quick connects on my 03 K12RS (one broke), but I chose to go with BMW OE parts. The replacements are now stainless steel instead of the original plastic that came with the bike. I went for just the male halves, as that is the only piece that breaks. Still not cheap.
    And yeah, keep an eye on that rear drive. Mine quit at 35k miles.
    I think yours predates the controversial boosted E-brakes, so your brake bleeding shouldn't turn into a two-day event.

Jeff D

With the bike back from major service, for having sat for years, I took it out this weekend. East through the Washington side of the Gorge, and up the Klickitat Canyon to BZ corners, and back down to the mighty Columbia. It tracks SO much more solidly than my airhead. There is a long stretch of straight road where my courage grew thin at 110 MPH. What a magnificent motorcycle! (handsome too)

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Indeed, a smooth machine at speed. You will grow into it. Not sure I would go much faster on open roads, but I know on the track I saw mine coming down off of 125 mph Indicated, so, very likely 115 or so. And it will easily hold that speed all day if you keep feeding it......
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Thumbs up

Welcome to the dark side!I went there in 2004;but I now have a 1995 R100RT back in the stable as well.You are right, the performance of the K1200 is phenomenal.I replaced the stock steering damper with the Hyperpro from Pirates,I think it is a good idea to keep the factory setup,albeit with better parts.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.