Thread: 1988 K100LT driveshaft

1988 K100LT driveshaft

It's probably not fair to ask how long this drive shaft is going to last. Nevertheless, I'll ask: how long? Am I half-way through its life? Three-quarters?

driveshaft.jpg
    If we thought of each tooth as a kind of a histogram, the long tail is to the right. Do I change up the drive shaft, or should both connecting ends be replaced at the same time?

Noel

3 Red Bricks
    You need to change both the driveshaft and final drive (or have them repaired by Bruno's machine shop).http://www.brunos.us/Bevel%20drives.htm

How long will your driveshaft last? If you continue to ride it, it will last until the most inconvenient time and place, where the tow and alternate transportation will far exceed the repair costs.

It's time to fix it now. That driveshaft is SHOT! The final drive splines are probably almost as bad. Your driveshaft is a prime example of inadequate spline lubrication. That is why the topic comes up anytime someone mentions early K-bikes.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thanks

Lee !

Thanks. The question for me to think about is how much to keep sinking into a pretty rough bike.

I took a look at their website. I'll get an estimate and give it due consideration. This may be a quiet family-only burial.

Terrific expertise available in the forum, even on a 4th of July weekend!

Noel

What's the miles on that shaft?

I can't say for certain how many miles on the drive shaft, though I take it that the drive shaft is original. The bike has been mine for about 5 years and about 35,000 of the bike's 110K is my trips and commuting.

Noel