Thread: What a Tool (1979 R100S)

What a Tool (1979 R100S)

Hello all. After many years of sidecarring, K-bike riding, and generally being without an Airhead, I was able to land a 1979 R100S that runs well and will need only minor tweaking to turn it into a weekend favorite ride. One thing missing is the tool kit. I recall from my first bike (a 1973 R75/5) that the stock tool kit had every tool I needed to do almost all the required maintenance and roadside repairs. I did a quick scan of the used parts places and don't see one for sale. I do see that Cruz sells toolkits including one marketed as "for BMW R bikes" (RoadTech B1). Anyone have experience with these tool kits? Are there missing tools you needed to acquire separately. I feel practically naked riding without a tool kit.
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML
    2007 F800ST & 2014 F800GS & 2014 F700GS

http://www.bmwhucky.com/010071.html

About 1/2 way down. Check that it's just what u want. I only looked quickly. Cheers.

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6

Vech at Benchmark Works sells a few tool kits that are put together with today's tools.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I was trying to locate that thread Barron.

Anyone have experience with these tool kits? Are there missing tools you needed to acquire separately.
    A stick type tire gauge - because they are simple, and fit in the tool roll nicely

.006" and .008" feeler gauges

one of those tiny flat-blade screwdriver - comes in hand for a number of things; like peeling those 6mm wavy washers off of the valve cover studs, popping the rubber inspection cover out of the timing hole in the crankcase, the terminal board (on my /5 uses screws).

Northwood Airheads points tool - because it totally simplifies setting points gap

Spark plug shorting tool - not needed that frequently, but they don't take up enough space in the roll to worry about.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Or you could buy that points tool from the guy who devised it... read this if you want.

Available through Cycleworks and maybe directly from Paul Tavernier.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Thanks for that enlightening bit of history Anton. And way to go Paul Tavernier for inventing such a handy tool. Ingenious.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Thanks for the suggestions

The online fiche is really useful in determining what tools come in the kit and the extra experience of our club members means I'll also have the important tools that aren't part of the kit.

I ordered a set from Max's and I'll be contacting Paul T. for a genuine version of his handy tool.
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML

BTW Bill, your old /5 has been hanging over the bar at the Moto Saloon for the past few years. Unfortunately, that business is being sold. I think it will hang in my shop for a while...

http://mastomillers.com/tag/restaura...t-moto-saloon/
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Thanks for posting that Anton. I'm glad you brought that /5 back to life. I also heard a great story about the bottom end I gave you being used to get Chaz's bike back on the road. For all the help I get from the clubs and forum posts I guess that was paying it forward.
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML