Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Leaking tranny oil through the clutch lever assembly

  1. #1
    Registered User 88bmwjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    2,540

    Leaking tranny oil through the clutch lever assembly

    The bike: 88 R100 RT. The issue: I'm leaking tranny oil through the clutch lever assembly at the back of the transmission. It's dripping down the clutch lever, but is not leaking from beneath the rubber boot. Although it's not dripping a lot, it's stinking up the whole garage. So, I need to fix it to keep the better half happy. Should I replace something else other than the rubber boot?
    Last edited by 88bmwjeff; 07-06-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

  2. #2
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    12,898
    The '88 has a different arrangement than the earlier bikes. According to the diagram, the boot is the only sealing part...nothing on the inside.

    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=21&fg=51
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    77
    Have you checked that the vent bolt that holds the sped cable in is clear? You can blow it out with compressed air or clean it out with a wire.

  4. #4
    Registered User PAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The '88 has a different arrangement than the earlier bikes. According to the diagram, the boot is the only sealing part...nothing on the inside.

    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=21&fg=51
    The push rod does have a seal (in the end of the input shaft)that keeps oil from migrating towards the clutch. This wouldnt be the problem.
    Check the neutral switch and especially the drive shaft boot for leaks. Oil leaks have a way of moving around.

  5. #5
    Registered User 88bmwjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    Have you checked that the vent bolt that holds the sped cable in is clear? You can blow it out with compressed air or clean it out with a wire.
    I'll give it a quick look next time I'm out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by PAS View Post
    Check the neutral switch and especially the drive shaft boot for leaks. Oil leaks have a way of moving around.
    I don't see how the neutral switch or the drive shaft boot can cause oil dripping down off of the clutch lever at the rear of the transmission, since both are below the clutch lever.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

  6. #6
    Registered User PAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post


    I don't see how the neutral switch or the drive shaft boot can cause oil dripping down off of the clutch lever at the rear of the transmission, since both are below the clutch lever.
    My clutch lever end is under the driveshaft boot. Perhaps yours isnt.

  7. #7
    Registered User 88bmwjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by PAS View Post
    My clutch lever end is under the driveshaft boot. Perhaps yours isnt.
    Well, it's been a while since I've looked back there, and from the left side of the bike, it didn't look that way. But yes, it's underneath the driveshaft boot. Thanks for the suggestion. For better or worse, the driveshaft boot is dry--na that's better. Replacing that boot is a royal pain.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •